Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Net in the Vedder  (Read 7292 times)

hookme

Net in the Vedder
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:45:46 AM »

Hey Rodney I like this version of releasing foul hook and releasing salmon in the fraser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbp70v2Pk1Q&feature=channel

I just don't understand why most fishermen in the vedder don't have net on them ?..Is this a Macho thing? Or the trill of landing a salmon  on shore is the part of the sport?  What the Survival rate of those been foul hook or not that being release? pretty sure everybody can afford  a net there not that expensive. or is it the extra weight to carry it around?   One guy told me the water in the vedder have more Oxygen so it's to OK stress the fish.  I just don't get It?! ???
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 05:11:22 AM by hookme »

doja

Re: Net in the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 02:24:17 AM »

A skilled angler can land a fish in a river with out injuries. Don't be afraid to let the fish release a bit of energy before trying to land it as it will make it much easier on the fish and the unhooking. Play the fish down stream from you and bring into a slow spot where you can land it then reel in as you walk down to the fish. I am always ready to go in the water a bit as to avoid dragging it onto rocks and beach, unless I want to kill it in which case on the rocks it goes. But finding a rock far out to stand on is also sufficient. A net is a hassle to carry around.

An unskilled angler/pos will just drag it up on the beach or rocks every time. I saw a guy drag one (of the hundred) onto the rocks, unhook and walk away :o the fish keep flopping around and luckily for the fish he heard and surprisingly he walked back and kicked it a little closer to the river. It finally made it back into the flow after some time. That's not how you do it.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:26:31 AM by doja »

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:02 AM »

Unless it is a wet, knotless net, fish can be injured by nets also.  In many lakes and streams in Washington, they are required if you net a fish.  Where these regs are in place, you may not remove a fish from the water unless you can legally keep it. 

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »

I have released many fish while river fishing without taking them out of the water or fighting them to exuastion. You do not have to drag fish up onto the beach to get a hook out, if we are all using barbless hooks like we're supposed to. The video shown is ideal for the steep rocky bank they were fishing from for the safety of the fish and fisher alike. From a more gradual slope or beach it is easier to release a fish by hand though you do risk hooking yourself in the process :'( I often release fish I know to be foul hooked or not eligable by giving a little slack and let them shake it. Usually works.
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »

Unless it is a wet, knotless net, fish can be injured by nets also.  In many lakes and streams in Washington, they are required if you net a fish.  Where these regs are in place, you may not remove a fish from the water unless you can legally keep it. 

This sounds like an idea worth pursuing... I agree that many fish get injured and stressed when released, even by skillful fishermen who catch dozens in one single day. Catching 20+ fish per day doesn't seem like a good practice to me, even if all are released.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »

It depends on the situation. When fishing in the Tidal Fraser River, I almost always carry a catch and release net. Landing a big fish without a net on the rocks down here is difficult and it's almost impossible to treat the fish safely without a net if you want to take a photo with it before releasing.

For the Vedder, a net is not really necessary at most places. If you are fishing on banks that have a gradual depth change, simply guide the fish into the shallow water until it turns to its side and tail it. I have carried a net at times on the Vedder, when I intend to fish on the steep rip raps.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

net+vedder=beak ;D learn to release the fish in the water, we are not fishing for 12" trout and it would be a serious pain to carry around a net from run to run. I guess you could keep it on shore with the tackle box though

fisherwithrod

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »

It seems obvious to me that the more experienced fishermen will be inconvenienced by any new rules, such as carrying a catch and release net. However, with the apparent increase in inexperienced or first-time fishermen, and in the absence of the test where you show how you properly release a fish, it may be easier to enforce that everyone abides by the same rules, regardless of their experience level. It is perhaps a price to pay for the inexperience of beaks, but the goal here is the sustainability of the resource, and perhaps less the lightness of one's gear from run to run...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »

Typically I find that nets are a tool for the inexperienced fisherrman who cranks the fish in quickly, tries to beach or grab it while it is flailing madly, and then concludes that the lack of net is the problem when the fish throws the hook.

There is the odd fish that I might not have lost at the shore had I had a net, however that doesn't compensate for the headache of carrying one around all day and getting in caught in branches.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:01 PM »

so the net will need to be large enough to land any fish you may catch, 45 pound white, that's a big net :o haha in all seriousness though, when I see the way that some people handle the fish on the beach I think that the fish is better off that way than stuck by the gills in some cheapo Walmart net while said person carelessly tries to shake the fish out of the net. I mean if you treat a fish poorly on the beach, a net is only going to complicate things.

hookme

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »

Are We saying  our self the guys who brings net in the vedder are the Inexperience one or the Responsible one..    ???..Come on... don't you think it's big relieve to you the Guy with the net volunteer to net your fish,  That you Foul hook a 40 lbs Spring with your 700 Dollar Rod that you don't need to run down stream and worry to break your rod ..Don't you think it's relieve??..Or would you rather say to the guy ..No Worries I can handle this "I'm an Experience Fisherman"!  ;) and you run with it when you come back your spot was occupied by somebody else now which trigger unhappy confrontation. Do you like that? my point is I know it's excess baggage bringing net ..But don't you think fishing the Vedder there comes a time you wish you have the net. specially when you hook the unwanted CHUM, the Dirty Spring and the pink Hump-pies.  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 01:06:31 AM »

I didn't realize that landing net is associated with newbies. :o ;D

Again, it really depends on the landscape, the size of the fish and what you would like to do with the fish.

If you are targeting large chinook salmon, it is probably not wise to have a net with you as the size of the net is too big for carrying around and it is simply not practical to be netting fish in this size range.

Here is Chris landing a white chinook salmon on the Chilliwack River. Notice how he simply guided the fish into the shallow water until it turned to its size. Once the fish did not too much, Chris proceeded to tail it and kept it in the water most of the time prior to releasing. The fish never touched the sand on dry land.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/0818.html

For the Tidal Fraser where I use my catch and release net regularly, the intention is not to ensure that I land all my fish, but to keep the fish in the safest manner while I do what I need to do (IDing, photograph, DNA sample collection) prior to releasing it. The net acts as a "cage" in the water by allowing the fish to swim and suspend freely.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »

Hey Rodney, can you recall the pound rating on Chris's rod? It was bending pretty parabolic.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »

Sage 3106

Gaffer

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

Are We saying  our self the guys who brings net in the vedder are the Inexperience one or the Responsible one..    ???..Come on... don't you think it's big relieve to you the Guy with the net volunteer to net your fish,  That you Foul hook a 40 lbs Spring with your 700 Dollar Rod that you don't need to run down stream and worry to break your rod ..Don't you think it's relieve??..Or would you rather say to the guy ..No Worries I can handle this "I'm an Experience Fisherman"!  ;) and you run with it when you come back your spot was occupied by somebody else now which trigger unhappy confrontation. Do you like that? my point is I know it's excess baggage bringing net ..But don't you think fishing the Vedder there comes a time you wish you have the net. specially when you hook the unwanted CHUM, the Dirty Spring and the pink Hump-pies.  :D
One of the things you'll learn as your experience grows my friend is that we're all learning on the river-- for example -- You don't own the spot you caught the fish from--- you move on & someone else moves into the spot. Part of the problems we have on the river is the "possession thing" My spot my way is better, or more ethical etc. But there are items of Courtesy that make the much more pleasant-- Tight Lines /Sharp hooks