Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Brood Stock  (Read 5659 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Steelhead Brood Stock
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »

As many of you know the Steelhead Brood Stock Program started last Thursday on the Chilliwack Vedder River. I get asked many times how many wild fish have been tubed. In talking to the hatchery tonight the total is only 4 and they have been all taken up top as the poor visibility down in the Lower seem to be effecting the catch. There is about 15 anglers doing the tubing this year.

I will be out again tomorrow and I hope to be able to add to the total.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Re: Steelhead Brood Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »

Thought I'd update this since Chris is probably unwilling to brag!  He tubed 2 of the 7 today and I believe that brings the current total to 18.  You're 1 ahead of me, beakobegone ;D
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

drh

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »

I managed to land a nice wild one at the crossing today.Someone yelled from across the river"Hey is that a wild one ,Ive got a tube if you want to keep it in the water till I get over there''.Was that you bederko?just wondering cause your profile picture doesn't do you justice 8)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »

That was me, thanks again for the fish. ;) Your doe was actually the 6th fish of the day, the boys were picking another up at the top end on their way back to the hatchery.
And yes, my dog is way better looking than me... :P
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

buck

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »

Brood stock total as of January 30 are 12 males and 18 females.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »

Nice to see you guys getting them. What is the quota that you attempt to get on the Vedder for the year?
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »

Nice to see you guys getting them. What is the quota that you attempt to get on the Vedder for the year?

70 fish. 35 of each gender.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »

do you guys only do tubing on weekdays?? i think i have only ever seen one guy tubing a fish on a saturday and i gave him a hand tubing it......that was several years ago though.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »

Only on weekdays, until 3:00pm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »

do you guys only do tubing on weekdays?? i think i have only ever seen one guy tubing a fish on a saturday and i gave him a hand tubing it......that was several years ago though.
Some times they are known to take them on the weekends right below the hatchery if the weekend staff member that is there is free to get away to pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:15:24 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 06:25:19 PM »

When I checked with the hatchery the other day they had 29 does with the bucks at 16. That number may have increased some since then but they needed around 6 more does and 19 bucks when I phoned. I have not helped get any the last while as still stalled at 4. Now down with a cold that will keep me off the river. :-\

jeff

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »

I was out today and the guys tubed two at the slab one doe and not sure what the other one was.
Enjoying the water..........

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »

When I checked with the hatchery the other day they had 29 does with the bucks at 16. That number may have increased some since then but they needed around 6 more does and 19 bucks when I phoned. I have not helped get any the last while as still stalled at 4. Now down with a cold that will keep me off the river. :-\

Wanna send me your tube  ;D  Im out everday at 1:30 till dark  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »

But are you catching any fish? ;D ;D

But are you catching any fish? ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »

But are you catching any fish? ;D ;D

But are you catching any fish? ;D ;D ;D

We have our chances most days  ;D ;D