Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195853 times)

bobby b

Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #600 on: May 01, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »

Trudeau does not own Rideau Cottage... ::)

Robert_G

« Reply #601 on: May 01, 2020, 03:36:26 PM »

Trudeau does not own Rideau Cottage... ::)

Who cares? If you could live in a place like that for as long as you wanted on tax payers dime, would you care who the deed was signed to?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #602 on: May 01, 2020, 03:42:23 PM »

It seems there's a lot of political analysts on this board critiquing the actions of our Prime Minister.  Judgement made based on hindsight and conjecture. I think anyone, regardless of party would have made decisions considered questionable and unpopular with certain groups. With so much demand for monetary and medical aid in all sectors, it's almost impossible to prioritize the level of need.

I consider myself a Conservative, but respect the fact he dealt with the immediate needs of the working class in a timely manner. Some may argue he did it for political gain and some may say he was slow or procrastinated in reacting to certain agendas, but in reality he was faced with an "unknown" which has all world leaders scrambling.

Cut the guy some slack and don't forget he's also a husband and father who's own wife got sick with the virus, while trying to lead a nation.

Who cares? If you could live in a place like that for as long as you wanted on tax payers dime, would you care who the deed was signed to?

...and a lot of homeless people most with addiction problems are being put up in hotels...on who's dime?

4x4

« Reply #603 on: May 01, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »

Well said blaydRnr.
I didn't vote for JT the first time but did the 2nd time because I just couldn't vote for Scheer. Better to vote for the devil you know than the devil you don't I guess.
I have no problem with how JT has handled this pandemic. Flaws for sure but overall happy compared to other countries. He has being emotional more than a few times if you watch his live addresses. I know he's worried about this pandemic and wants to ensure it is well under control before moving forward with the economy.
 He has commented on a couple of occasions that he knows people will be coming after him when this is all over about the money being spent.
He did say yesterday he will be following the medical experts advise on when and how to move forward and honestly isn't that the way it should be?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #604 on: May 01, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »

What are you talking about? If you read my post, I said where JT LIVES....not Sussex.
JT has never lived at Sussex. He lives at Rideau Cottage like he always has.

See I was right you are smart!

Of course this house is neither:

It's the Lake Cottage where he and his family were over Easter. That's not his house either. Nor are the renovations being done at his direction. It's done by the National Capital Commission. Nor that house the Official Residence of the Prime Minister. That's 24 Sussex which, because the Harper family refused to move out for years to allow repairs is now all but derelict. As a result of it's condition the Trudeau family has been residing at Rideau Cottage.

So to review contrary to what your "fact checked" meme says that is not his house nor is he pumping 8.5 million dollars into it while the rest of Canadians suffer the effects of the pandemic. Across most of Canada Residential construction and renovations are considered essential and is happening at 3 residences on my block.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #605 on: May 01, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »

...and a lot of homeless people most with addiction problems are being put up in hotels...on who's dime?

Don't even get me started on this. Another can of worms that you don't want to open with me. You already know my position on this.

Robert_G

« Reply #606 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »

See I was right you are smart!

Who do you know has the option to live in 3 different multi million dollar homes on the tax payer dime?
The lake cottage is no different. Only his family his living there with maybe some personal staff. He can use it at his disposal for recreation or whatever he wants. I'd love to have someone else buy me that kind of luxury
You just don't get it.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #607 on: May 01, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »

Who do you know has the option to live in 3 different multi million dollar homes on the tax payer dime?
The lake cottage is no different. Only his family his living there with maybe some personal staff. He can use it at his disposal for recreation or whatever he wants. I'd love to have someone else buy me that kind of luxury
You just don't get it.
I think I get it. Ralph might not, but I do.
The Prime Minister has a primary residence (currently Rideau cottage) and a vacation home (Harrington Lake). Both are publically funded. That is no different than many, if not all, of the G-7 leaders who have both publically funded residences and vacation home. It's a perk of the job, and I don't begrudge it. Probably cheaper in the long run than paying for new security arrangements for the homes of every new PM   

Many other employers offer their senior leaders housing allowances. Heck even some church congregations provide their minister a parsonage.

Many employers do it. Nice work if you can get it.       

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #608 on: May 01, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »

Don't even get me started on this. Another can of worms that you don't want to open with me. You already know my position on this.

Dude I lived this life...I know from first hand experience the difference between homelessness of the poor and homelessness of an addiction.  I've been on that side of the fence, so unless you've lived it...don't bother.

Robert_G

« Reply #609 on: May 01, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »

Dude I lived this life...I know from first hand experience the difference between homelessness of the poor and homelessness of an addiction.  I've been on that side of the fence, so unless you've lived it...don't bother.

I do know this
We don't have a homeless problem.
We have a drug addiction and mental health problem.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #610 on: May 01, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »

The Prime Minister has a primary residence (currently Rideau cottage) and a vacation home (Harrington Lake). Both are publically funded. That is no different than many, if not all, of the G-7 leaders who have both publically funded residences and vacation home. It's a perk of the job, and I don't begrudge it. Probably cheaper in the long run than paying for new security arrangements for the homes of every new PM   

Many other employers offer their senior leaders housing allowances. Heck even some church congregations provide their minister a parsonage.

Many employers do it. Nice work if you can get it.     

You work for I know who. I worked for the same Public employer. I knew many people whose apartment or condo in the Capital was paid for with public funds and they had a house in another community - possibly that was rented out. They also got their travel expenses back and forth fully paid. Do you get that? What do you get?

Ministers of a Church etc get an extra $10,000 ( may be more now) tax exemption over what the average tax payer gets.

Trudeau does not have 3 mansions he can live in. Sussex is all but unlivable and needs close $100 million in renovations. He chose to live in Rideau Cottage - which is smaller. The Lake Cottage has always long been a summer residence for  the PM. All these residences are used for state functions - they are not truly private.

What publicly owned building Trudeau can live in is irrelevant to the question was the particular meme, or any of them 'fact checked.'
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:55:48 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #611 on: May 01, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »

The was sarcasm and a little poke at RG’s comments

Do you get that? What do you get?
A gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell but I sure as heck don’t get a cottage AND a lake house. 😀

arimaBOATER

« Reply #612 on: May 02, 2020, 12:16:31 AM »

Most of you heard of ultraviolet light killing viruses. This looks promising. If it works these lights will be I n public buildings on transit systems ,schools, malls ,airports planes ,work places ,in our homes.....within minutes the light kills viruses.

Columbia Univ. has a nice article:

Could a new ultraviolet technology fight the spread of Coronavirus ?

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #614 on: May 02, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »

The was sarcasm and a little poke at RG’s comments
A gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell but I sure as heck don’t get a cottage AND a lake house. 😀

LOL. My apologies. ;D