Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195849 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #585 on: April 29, 2020, 09:52:57 PM »

thats great its opening again. its important to be able to enjoy nature. helps heal us.

i haven't fished much in the past few weeks. been one massive spring clean of the house for me, that and planting vegetables in the garden. im getting the itch to do some indicator fishing and check a few rivers out for some summers.

Gardening has been my other escape, but there isn't much happening now until we get some sun.  I guess my spinach is almost ready to harvest, but that'll cook down to 3 bites.  I do love the time of year when I can make a whole dinner with what I have caught and grown.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #586 on: April 29, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »

Down in Washington our stay-at-home order is going to be extended past May 4, but we don't know how long yet.  But the good news is that almost all  fishing is scheduled to reopen on May 5, and I have never been more ready for spring trout and kokanee.  I bought a pontoon boat that I'm itching to use for the first time - no more worrying about crowded beaches and docks.  I'll see if I can properly troll for kokanee with just my oars, if not, I've already scoped out an electric trolling motor and battery and even a small downrigger I can mount on the pontoon. 

I've got all the gear I need and then some, but I feel bad for the tackle shops that can't open even though fishing will be open.  People will have no choice but to buy online or go to Wal-mart or Fred Meyer, which are open because they sell groceries and are therefore "essential".  I know our local tackle shops have been struggling for years now with the failed runs and fishing closures that have become more common - this is just another blow they don't need.  I really hope they can survive this.
CohoJake tried to get this trend back on track......I hear a train whistle...tied him to the tracks.

Well hmm hmm .. On a serious note..Covid 19 has affected all of us badly...but there's that % are making $$$ because of this virus. Overtime wkrs ...food warehouses ...truckers...companies making masks...
Did hear that some reports say the death numbers could be 2x what is being reported in the USA !!!
What is it now? 60,000 .
So that would make it 120,000 and change.....

Yes CohoJake this is the best time of year ...a Spring/coming summer minus Covid 19 though.
Had to mow the grass often as alittle shower / sun shower/ sun / shower/sun....grass grows 5x faster not to mention the dandelion flowers/weeds....eye of the beholder.  :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #587 on: April 30, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »

Most contracting experts have said Sussex should be bulldozed. 83 million to renovate is a waste of taxpayers money. As for his residence, why should the PM be living in a house that needs millions in renos? Just because he is PM doesn't entitle him to live in a 10 million dollar + home that he didn't pay for.

Neither residence is his house. Both properties belong to the Federal Government as do the following residences; Stornoway, Rideau Hall (GG) The Farm (Speaker of the House). I don't know if you realize that the White House is not owned by President Trump.

There may be a reason for all this nonsense getting on here - including the Dr Tam smear campaign.

That is current polls indicate the federal Conservatives have fallen below 30% in opinion polls and the Liberal are well above 38.5%. That put Trudeau in range or re-election with a comfortable majority if the polls stay much the same up until the next election. The Cons may be desperate to create an apparent scandal to try to halt their slide in popularity.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #588 on: April 30, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »

Do you like the possibility that the liberals have no official opposition. I agree liberals looking good but the thought of having an unchecked liberal party is not very appealing to me.

They say money can’t buy happiness but 250 billion is certainly helping.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #589 on: April 30, 2020, 07:12:16 PM »

There is an official opposition and I think Trudeau's daily pep talks are excessive. Scheer has been able to get on TV once he returned to Ottawa & the House is sitting again though on a reduced basis.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #590 on: April 30, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »

Been singing praise songs all afternoon to the good Lord. I will not be ashamed of a His Name because The Lord is the only way to salvation.
Sometimes I get the desire to sin but I know sin looks good it feels good it's tempting to the eyes but it bites ya in the butt.....
Oh are we on the air now.....ok folks:
There is no way the polls will stay the same till the next election.
Scheer will no longer be leader of the PC party.
The new leader more than likely be in Pride Parades ...and say ladies should be free to decide on abortion or not...in other words the right may come to the centre alittle.
This should get them more of the Canadians vote.
No landslide win for Liberals ...honeymoon is over..Liberals lost seats...but still got in not because of Trudeau but because of a Canadians dislike of Scheer.
Mind you I like Scheer more than Trudeau and like Pres. D Trump  100 fold more than Biden.

Biden is the blind following the blind...bet Obama may even now phone him and tell him what to say and do. Well he may suggest things but Biden will take them like orders from the past chief.
Trump will win anyways.
So it's goodbye Trudeau for a more to centre PC leader....
Pres. D Trump will win another term.

As for Covid 19 ....please do not become complacent....wash hands...keep distance...gargle with strong germ killer mouthwash ( not disinfectant cleaners ...that's for surfaces walls door handles sinks ...heard someone recommend for body ..no no no )---------------If you have time find yourself a long 2 ft blank white paper.
Now put it on a table. Any table will do ..as long as the table is flat ...not wavy or holes in table.
Just maybe you have a pet elephant and he/she sat on table and bent it a little ...
Or if your family is kinda on the wild side maybe bullet holes were made at some pt and time ...thus holes in table.
Now on that paper draw a map of Canada....general map...not too fancy.
Now grab a blue ink pen and put 53,000 dots all over from the west coast prairies eastern and far eastern shores .....
Now after you finish putting 53,000 blue dots....try to put more % of dots east of Winnipeg.
Now get a red ink pen and put 3100 red dots on the paper....more % east of Winnipeg.
You now have a picture in front of you of 53,000 Covid infections ....and 3100 deaths.
Pin this paper by your main exit door as ya go out to grocery job exercising fishing locally ...

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:59:13 PM by A-BOATER »

Robert_G

« Reply #591 on: April 30, 2020, 08:09:19 PM »

. don't know if you realize that the White House is not owned by President Trump.

You are confused. The White House is a government building.  100s of staff 100s of security. Trump is NEVER alone in the White House. No president has ever lived there with only their family.
Where Trudeau is living is for him privately. No government business happens in that house...yes he may have some light 'personal' staff....but there is no 'government' staff living or even working there.
At 8:45 every morning, he heads back in there and who knows what he does....nobody knows.

Sorry, but you can't compare where Trudeau lives to the White House.....not even remotely the same thing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #592 on: April 30, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »

There is an official opposition and I think Trudeau's daily pep talks are excessive. Scheer has been able to get on TV once he returned to Ottawa & the House is sitting again though on a reduced basis.

I was talking about your gleeful liberal majority

Sadly the conservatives seem to be more concerned with trying to make trumps base happy then trying to take to party left and capturing some of the liberal base.

You are correct the cons poss little threat at the moment and thins coming from someone who bought a con membership to try to make sure they aren’t foolish enough to vote for otool and not McKay

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #593 on: April 30, 2020, 10:10:01 PM »

You are confused. The White House is a government building.  100s of staff 100s of security. Trump is NEVER alone in the White House. No president has ever lived there with only their family.
Where Trudeau is living is for him privately. No government business happens in that house...yes he may have some light 'personal' staff....but there is no 'government' staff living or even working there.
At 8:45 every morning, he heads back in there and who knows what he does....nobody knows.

Sorry, but you can't compare where Trudeau lives to the White House.....not even remotely the same thing.

No I am not confused. Your are confused. Sussex is also a government building.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #594 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »

Sadly the conservatives seem to be more concerned with trying to make trumps base happy then trying to take to party left and capturing some of the liberal base.

You are correct the cons poss little threat at the moment and thins coming from someone who bought a con membership to try to make sure they aren’t foolish enough to vote for otool and not McKay
I am not a "Liberal" Gleeful or otherwise. I did not vote for JT, or any of the other Liberal Leaders or PMs going back 30+ years. Trumps base is in the US though he has many admirers here who are too chicken to move there (or back there).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:06:44 AM by RalphH »

stsfisher

« Reply #595 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:56 AM »

He's  working from home, tough concept to understand I suppose.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #596 on: May 01, 2020, 08:36:52 AM »

Do you like the possibility that the liberals have no official opposition. I agree liberals looking good but the thought of having an unchecked liberal party is not very appealing to me.

They say money can’t buy happiness but 250 billion is certainly helping.

no, majorities are not a good thing. parties need to compromise for a healthy democracy. discussions need to take place.

if that is the goal of the conservative party than they are finished. trumps base is smaller than we think, they just like to make lots of noise. conservatives and republicans need to understand that society is moving left as you stated. not saying they cant win again just they need to re-event them selves especially in canada. even the billionaire class sees this now. to bad it took an epidemic to teach them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uognCnQpr3A

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #597 on: May 01, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »

on a side note, jesse ventura is testing the waters for a bid for the green party nomination. i like his stance on saying “I’m an independent. I’m not a Democrat or a Republican because I know they’re not the solution.” and hes right.

maybe for the first debate they can hold it in a wrestling ring with vince mcmahon, trump, ventura and biden. poor biden going to get messed up lol. imagine the ratings it would get lol.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #598 on: May 01, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »

on a side note, jesse ventura is testing the waters for a bid for the green party nomination. i like his stance on saying “I’m an independent. I’m not a Democrat or a Republican because I know they’re not the solution.” and hes right.

maybe for the first debate they can hold it in a wrestling ring with vince mcmahon, trump, ventura and biden. poor biden going to get messed up lol. imagine the ratings it would get lol.
Jesse Ventura is more kooky than Trump.
( ok admitting Trump has a kooky side / but improving rapidly...but his over all decisions has made him a Superstar...enlightened judge in a Supreme Ct. abortion is murder prayer allowed in school / not banned..oh not forced on any student but for ones that want to "pray wherever you want to as long you are not disturbing the peace...oh prayer will disturb the demons ...recognizes Isreal as a nation,( God of the Bible says that land is the Jews,( Arabs shoot themselves in the foot...if they decided to be peaceful they would all be employed by Jewish companies with good wages/benifits )
But you yourself have to be enlightened to see that Pres. Trump has made great decisions.
Mind you ..do you believe there is a God /devil?
If you do not then your more than likely think the democrats are the way to go.
There's the way I see it.
As for Covid 19 ....more and more poultry / slaughter houses are having to be shut down temporary in the USA ( we all heard of the Canada shut downs )
Volkswagon in Germany is making cars again by strict working environment. Distancing...and where two wkrs are closer there's plastic sheilds ...masks hand wash stations ...
These poultry / beef places are going to have to get strict working rules set up.
Me you want beef and chicken.

Robert_G

« Reply #599 on: May 01, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »

No I am not confused. Your are confused. Sussex is also a government building.

What are you talking about? If you read my post, I said where JT LIVES....not Sussex.
JT has never lived at Sussex. He lives at Rideau Cottage like he always has.