Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195857 times)

Roderick

You shoulda been here yesterday.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »

When the country begins to reopen, it will be a gradual, tentative and potentially frustrating process, experts say. Here’s a primer on who will make the decisions and what has to be considered:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-what-will-canadas-pandexit-strategy-look-like-how-officials-are/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:22:22 AM by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

Covid-19 mutations underestimated, Chinese scientists warn, as DEADLIEST strains grip Europe and US

Chinese scientists have found that Europe and America’s East Coast have been infected by some of the most aggressive Covid-19 strains, as they discovered dozens of virus mutations. These destroy a host’s cells faster than others. The ability of the novel coronavirus to mutate has been previously vastly underestimated, a team from China’s Zhejiang University, led by Professor Li Lanjuan, says in a new study. The group found as many as 33 virus mutations in just 11 coronavirus patients they examined in the city of Hangzhou.

The researchers say that 60 percent of the strains they discovered turned out to be entirely new. In a worrying development, they also discovered that the virus’s mutations directly affect its deadliness. Their research revealed that the most aggressive type of Covid-19 could create a virus load 270 times greater than the least potent one.

Most importantly, though, the scientists say their discoveries could affect the development of the much-needed vaccine, because a one-size-fits-all solution might not work in case of Covid-19.

https://www.rt.com/news/486425-covid-19-mutations-deadlier-strains/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »

This one directly effects me.
I am currently on one of the most powerful blood thinners ever developed...

Though novel coronavirus symptoms thus far have presented chiefly within the respiratory system, the infection is swiftly showing to be an all-out, system-wide assault that reaches far past the lungs. Doctors in hot spots across the globe have begun to report an unexpected prevalence of blood clotting among COVID cases, in what could pose a perfect storm of potentially fatal risk factors.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-patients-blood-clots/story?id=70131612

arimaBOATER

« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2020, 11:06:31 AM »

Last week the posts were many...like a raging river...then suddenly the posts basically nearly stopped on the weekend...so my last post just kinda sat there.
Know I responded to faith topics ....so thought the posts stopped because of my comebacks...

So for so few days just posted in sports section...but notice the discussion area still is a trickle from what it was for last few weeks .....
Sooooo....guess it will not hurt to post over here at least a few posts weekly  ;D

I do not want to be a snob or anything.

Crazy this is 100% honest..not making this up. Not last night but the night before had a dream and  Rodney comes walking up to me and he puts out his hand, so of course I shake it.
And we held that shake for at least 8 secs. !!!
Do not think Rod would walk up to me in real life and shake my hand ....but who knows maybe it's a sign or something. ( trying not to be too spooky because a dream is just a dream and I normally do not think a dream has a message....but never ever has Rod been in my dreams before. Ya think Rodney in the dream would keep 6ft away "Covid 19  ;D)

Anyways : as discussion is still kinda dead...guess it doesn't hurt to give my 2 cents sometimes.
Is the world and this virus other crazy news making our lives very concerning...
The shooter in Nova Scotia..22  people killed for what?
Mast shooters or Olsen types who stalked raped /murdered...should have their grave put in a public square near their crimes were done and for $10 donation ( $ going to good cause ) and add in sex traffickers graves ( guys who slave girls against their will to service men ) and after giving donation we then can spit on their grave.
To show our total disrespect to what their actions did to people and their surviving family /friends.
And we have a fashion mogul in Canada who  has 46 ladies say ...were raped by him !!!
Then we have this virus which as Nog's and Roderich posts indicate is so tricky ...more we know about it it just gets worse ...

Guess the posts could be down because in last few days the news just makes Canadians get sad ...
Hard to deal with. Think people are kinda in a mourning or how do we process all this crap.

Recent posts reveal...numbers of infected could be 40x more !!!
Various strain mutations ..some less aggressive other very deadly strains...

Even if one recovers the virus can cause permanent damage to liver lungs heart kidneys brain...
Damage heart in 4 dif. ways.
Plus blood clotting ( prev. posts )
Oh great.

Now we have crowds that are impatient and just want to stop isolating or even keeping a 6 ft distance apart. Even though there are 40,000 dead in recent weeks in the USA people pretend there is no problem ???

In Asia some Islam cleric died and 100,000 gathered for his funeral the other day.
Like a can of sardines...they stood.

Like the monkeys...I see nothing I hear nothing I say nothing.
What virus ? I do not see it. Guess they need a tour where the sick are fighting for their life.

USA protestors in crowds ...shouting " The virus problem does not exist "
Oh really?
When they get sick...their tune will be : help me save my life...

Alberta meat plant shut down...360 wkrs infected.
484 total...their family members...plus it may show no symptoms and or take 2/3 weeks to show symptoms ...the numbers are in reality much much higher....

Plus we have that Vancouver chicken processing plant with 28 workers infected.
These 28 have families wives children plus they were going into stores...gas stations ..

Going in public we must have that 6 ft distance ...because there is just too much of this virus out there.
If the gov. starts to ease the rules and people get sickly ...it will just become old news in a few months..
The new norm. People may just want to return to normal activities and when people get sick ...silently transport them to wherever. Shhhhhhh....no media reports.
Public may just want that "let's eat drink & be merry" ...if bad things happen just do not tell me about it.
Denial.
Go out ...and we are wilderbeasts /zebras crossing croc infested rivers...most make it but still many become victims.
We need a medicine / vaccine....
In mean time...wash hands sanitize hands, do not rub face,gargle with germ killing mouthwash,vit. C
vit. D ...rest up...hot drinks...sauerkraut ( feed good bacteria ) ....and try to stay away from getting too close to people  !!!

46,000 deaths USA updated. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:09:58 PM by A-BOATER »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #455 on: April 24, 2020, 07:04:50 PM »

no factual value in this video but well done none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJViT8BKq9k

arimaBOATER

« Reply #456 on: April 24, 2020, 08:16:25 PM »

no factual value in this video but well done none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJViT8BKq9k
Very powerful message.
Unseen enemy.
Now virus is getting into beef slaughter houses...and poultry factories....Alberta /BC.
Going to affect production. Prices will rise ...and lower supplies to be had.
In West Vancouver hospital...
One member had post in that " local definition " trend about it's more scary to go food shopping than going out to sport fish .....
Well yesterday at the food store people spaced well inside store BUT as I'm paying for food the lady is in conversation with another lady shopper...both are behind me...I'm tapping my card and the lady comes and stands 1 foot from me !!!! >:(

She had a mask on but who cares about that. When this Covid 19 virus first came out the experts said it was so micro that it went right threw masks !!!
Thus various countries were experimenting in making masks that would work.

Anyways I just waved my hand like a flag in the wind and she moved away very quickly...and said three. "Sorry sorry sorry"
After grabbing bags I gave her a friendly wave as I did not want her to feel too down.
She just I guess was in such conversation with other customer she had lack of concentration.
But this vid really is so reflective on what is going on.
Sobering.
Deer goes thru forrest watching out for cougars wolves coyotes .....
We go thru our community trying to protect ourselves....when food shopping ....

If ya want attention just start coughing or sneezing in public.
Where will it all end?
Would not want to be dealing with public ...cabbie....bus driver ...cashier ....store clerk...or hospital care aid janitor ...etc...at this time.
Or a factory with lots of wkrs....

stsfisher

« Reply #457 on: April 25, 2020, 07:52:48 AM »

Would not want to be dealing with public ...cabbie....bus driver ...cashier ....store clerk...or hospital care aid janitor ...etc...at this time.

I work as a plumber in a federal Institution, that does not have any cases.
Yesterday, more than once I had to listen to inmates make jokes such as " lol I wonder if he was told this is the covid unit, cough, cough" as I am unplugging toilets on the range.
Try to keep your cool in that moment. But these are the people user groups want released into the public.....

arimaBOATER

« Reply #458 on: April 25, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »

I work as a plumber in a federal Institution, that does not have any cases.
Yesterday, more than once I had to listen to inmates make jokes such as " lol I wonder if he was told this is the covid unit, cough, cough" as I am unplugging toilets on the range.
Try to keep your cool in that moment. But these are the people user groups want released into the public.....
Quite the working environment. Some inmates are easy to get along with and others not so much.
Put in at least 200 hrs volunteer think it was??? had to do as part of a college diploma ....  Willington Juv. Detention Centre.
Age to 17 yrs old I believe. A well dressed kid ...shirt tie ...put blanket over a girl and proceeded to multiple stab....toured Matsqui Jail Fraser Jail ( maple ridge/ mission area. ) the federal prison Kent also a minimum security jail along Chillawack River Rd.
As well as a Salvation Army juvenile place in Surrey /Langley area.
Long ago.
Oh ya a juvenile place in a South Burnaby.
Oh ya also Oakalla jail in Burnaby. Also Regina jail NW just outside of a City of Regina.
In about half of the above got a guy who performed at the grand ole Oprey into the places.
He told his Christian testimony / played his guitar...he sang lots of Hank Snow songs.
Johnny Cash was known to sing in prisons.
Tell you the truth never can let your guard down in those places.
Who knows what lurks in a convicts mind ???
Ones with murder/assault backgrounds...drugs...
But how well are these correctional places testing inmates ?
Bet there sure more infection cases than what are the numbers being tossed around.
Covid 19 even if a person recovers ..person can have pernament damage to lungs heart liver brain kidneys.....
But guess it's better working conditions in bc institutions than in S. America / mexican prisons...as it turned out drifted away from corrections and got into psychiatric group homes.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:38:24 PM by A-BOATER »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #459 on: April 26, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

We are giving up our freedoms in the fight against COVID-19. The question is will we get them back?

Does freedom – a true freedom of strong precepts rather than meaningless platitudes – interfere with what we must do to survive? And, if it does, how much freedom will we surrender to remain alive, free from disease, adequately fed and suitably housed? All of it? Some of it? None of it?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-we-are-giving-up-our-freedoms-in-the-fight-against-covid-19-the/

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #460 on: April 26, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »

We are giving up our freedoms in the fight against COVID-19. The question is will we get them back?

Does freedom – a true freedom of strong precepts rather than meaningless platitudes – interfere with what we must do to survive? And, if it does, how much freedom will we surrender to remain alive, free from disease, adequately fed and suitably housed? All of it? Some of it? None of it?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-we-are-giving-up-our-freedoms-in-the-fight-against-covid-19-the/

There will be some that go back but others will stick. It's no different than post 911. We lost freedoms then and we'll lose more now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2020, 05:45:37 PM »

I guess for people who don't have a subscription or buy this Saturday's edition of the Globe and Mail will have to wait a week or more to read the article in 'Nog link or this article article in the same section, Saturday:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-will-covid-19-kill-globalization/

The world has been turned upside down. The COVID-19 pandemic has already radically altered vast swaths of society, from human behaviour to health care, politics and economics. The big question is when or if things will return to normal.

Given more and more data indicates our bodies do not develop a long lasting immunity to Covid-19 once we are exposed, we will have to see what our world looks like a year or more down the road as to what our quality of life is like and what freedoms are still viable or have to be suspended or attenuated.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »

That's a good question about freedoms...
Rules are made hopefully for the betterment and safety of the public.

Today during a 1.5 hr pedal bike ride as I neared home ( 4-5 blocks away ) notice a house that had it's driveway just packed with cars bumper to bumper and more parked out front on the street.
A big gathering definitely was being held in that house !!!
Wonder if the city /or police if they were notified would they lay charges or in the least tell people to go back home???

Lots of administrations / supervisors are having arguments with care wkrs / nurses / doctors....as they are demanding to have a N95 mask on during their shift.
Supervisors over rule the care aids or nurses saying their ward has no Covid 19 so they should wear no masks ( upsets the patients ) or if they are allowed they are given the ordinary cotton masks...
But nurses know the nature of this virus.
People can have the virus and show zero symptoms for weeks....so in a crowded environment it is peace of mind to wear a good quality mask.

One nurse had her own N95 masks at home so she put one under her normal mask that the hospital gave her.
When the supervisor saw she had a N95 mask on under her normal mask she was told to take it off.
She told them it was her own mask from home but the supervisor told her to take it off.
She said she would feel unsafe so she left the job.
Unpaid leave.
So many hospital workers do not have N95 masks which is one of the better quality ones.
Many workers refuse to work if not given one.

Like care aids who work in senior care facilities should all be given n95 masks as we know so many of these facilities have Covid 19 within the workplace.
Personally if I'm a police officer ambulance driver nurse care aid bus driver prison guard etc...I would want a N95 masks.
Wkrs need to be protected.

Heard that a mask and snorkel is a good protection from Covid  19.
Yep put your water mask on ...put snorkel mouth piece in your mouth and go to work...
Or food shopping ...
Give mask and snorkel to the nurses I guess ....

Check out this link:
Harry Rusk shares his story as an indigenous country singer who survived TB quarantine - Danielle Smith
- omny.fm
Radio recording of Harry Rusk a full blood native from BC who got TB...he said it wiped out Indian villages ....killed his dad ...and then his mom. EDIT IN: TB killed his only bro too.
He bared survived it.
He went on to sing many years on the Grand ole Oprey in Nashville.
He is in his 80s now.
I spent a week with him back in 1986 and he was 50 yrs old then.
Arranged for him to sing and tell his story in 15 places Mon to Fri.
Yep 3 places a day for 5 days....what a week that was ...fun though.
But hope yous can take away how TB took so many lives ...and in a sense can happen the same in comparison with Covid 19.
Turns people's lives upside down.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:09:08 PM by A-BOATER »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #463 on: April 27, 2020, 08:35:31 AM »

Cody (of Cody's Lab Youtube channel) built a positive pressure contraption to keep him safe when out in public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iwxyzXcP7k

Probably makes you less likely to catch the virus and more likely to be shot by a police officer or security guard.

Robert_G

« Reply #464 on: April 27, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »

Given more and more data indicates our bodies do not develop a long lasting immunity to Covid-19 once we are exposed, we will have to see what our world looks like a year or more down the road as to what our quality of life is like and what freedoms are still viable or have to be suspended or attenuated.

And yet our useless PM insists and quote...."that things will NOT return to normal until a vaccination is found".

Do the math. It doesn't turn out in our favor. There is no vaccination, nor will there be one that is any better than a seasonal flu shot (15% success rate on a good year).
Commie Trudeau and his cronies have NO intentions of EVER letting us go back to the level of freedom we once had. Only the sheep are too naïve to see the truth.