Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195841 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »

My sister works at langdale terminal and she said loads of people heading over to Sunshine Coast yesterday

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »

It's sort of like the walking dead.  :o
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »

McDonald beach boat launch appears to open for buisness.trucks and empty trailers in parking lot.

fisherforever

« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »

My sister works at langdale terminal and she said loads of people heading over to Sunshine Coast yesterday

One of my daughters works there too, lots heading over probably for Gambier and Keats Islands

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »

One of my daughters works there too, lots heading over probably for Gambier and Keats Islands

Once again covidiots are going to ruin everything. If a complete lockdown happens, they have nobody to blame but themselves. Selfish people

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »

South Korean officials on Friday reported that 91 patients thought cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), told a briefing that the virus may have been "reactivated" rather than the patients being re-infected.

South Korean health officials said it remains unclear what is behind the trend, with epidemiological investigations still underway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-korea-coronavirus-covid19-reactivated-positive-1.5529066

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »

Is there a ferry from langdale to gambier ? Curious why people would go to langdale to get to gambier ?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #352 on: April 10, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

South Korean officials on Friday reported that 91 patients thought cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), told a briefing that the virus may have been "reactivated" rather than the patients being re-infected.

South Korean health officials said it remains unclear what is behind the trend, with epidemiological investigations still underway.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-korea-coronavirus-covid19-reactivated-positive-1.5529066

Oh man...people get Covid -19 and get better and then get sick again.
Thinking it re activates ...or who knows maybe it can do both ...re activate and also people can get re- infected. ( but would not there be antibodies formed )
So...it 's like a forrest fire put out 99.9999% and think the person has recovered and then flare up ( re activates ) .

Listerine 65% alcohol is good to gargle.
Drink very hot water...virus does not like heat.
Wash cloths in hot soapy water.
Maybe Listerine can be used as hand sanitizer ?

Bleach the one with 5% sodium hypochlorite used at 4 teaspoons to litre ratio to clean surfaces the gov. website says.
So would this not be a good mix for hand sanitizer too ?
But did hear a video that says 1 part bleach to 5 parts water for hand sanitizer.
Quite strong.
If I used that....wash hands with soap/water after words.

Ferries busy. Only means there must be socializing...
Unless LMD people travel by ferry to buy eggs toilet paper as local stores are out.  ::)
19 Canadians died either yesterday or today.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »

I'd be pissed if I was a resident of one of the gulf islands. Residents could set up a blockade at the ferry terminal, like the FN did on the highway in Port Alberni a few weeks ago. I thought it was an extreme reaction at the time but understand better now where that feeling of frustration comes from.

Albertans coming here. BC residents going to the islands. Even locals going to the interior, or even just Hope and Chilliwack. All of that travel carries a degree of risk to everyone else. People justify it because you're outside and at least 6 feet away from others while fishing... but the risk comes from getting to and from the fishing spot: stopping for gas, snacks, lunch. Parking in busy lots. Passing others on the trails. Taking the ferry. Giving others the excuse to leave home because everyone else is doing it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-bc-travel-small-towns-1.5529472

"We don't interact with anybody outside of ourselves and our own property and we're far away from other people," said one passenger, who identified himself only as Rob. He acknowledged locals' concerns, but said they weren't enough to cancel the trip. "I'm not too worried. Bring in a helicopter to take us out [if we get sick]," he said."

Selfish jerk. If he brings an outbreak to Galiano, it'll be in two weeks when he's long gone. These small islands aren't equipped to deal with an outbreak if it flares up.

Doesn't anybody else have elderly family members they're worried about? Why do so many people seem to care so little? I'm in a low-risk category for Covid but I worry about my extended family members.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »

I'd be pissed if I was a resident of one of the gulf islands. Residents could set up a blockade at the ferry terminal, like the FN did on the highway in Port Alberni a few weeks ago. I thought it was an extreme reaction at the time but understand better now where that feeling of frustration comes from.

Albertans coming here. BC residents going to the islands. Even locals going to the interior, or even just Hope and Chilliwack. All of that travel carries a degree of risk to everyone else. People justify it because you're outside and at least 6 feet away from others while fishing... but the risk comes from getting to and from the fishing spot: stopping for gas, snacks, lunch. Parking in busy lots. Passing others on the trails. Taking the ferry. Giving others the excuse to leave home because everyone else is doing it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-bc-travel-small-towns-1.5529472

"We don't interact with anybody outside of ourselves and our own property and we're far away from other people," said one passenger, who identified himself only as Rob. He acknowledged locals' concerns, but said they weren't enough to cancel the trip. "I'm not too worried. Bring in a helicopter to take us out [if we get sick]," he said."

Selfish jerk. If he brings an outbreak to Galiano, it'll be in two weeks when he's long gone. These small islands aren't equipped to deal with an outbreak if it flares up.

Doesn't anybody else have elderly family members they're worried about? Why do so many people seem to care so little? I'm in a low-risk category for Covid but I worry about my extended family members.

Lots of good observations and points.
On one hand the gov. says stay home and a % of people are travelling.
Guess the gov. was hoping people would heed the warning.

Gov. has these big fines/jail or whatever if people do not isolate for 2 weeks after coming back into the country OR big fines/jail if people lie when filling out for gov. $$$
....then zero enforcement with these 1000s and 1000s travelling ...
As your post correctly says..stopping for gas...other services...
Gov should of had the police at roadblocks ( by ferries / else where ) and questioned / sent people packing back home.

Florida beaches were crowded just wks ago ....and Covid 19 planting itself ..now the word is they are preparing for a big wave.

The Shoppers Drugs yesterday had so many people inside. Busier stores should all enforce how many can be in the place at one time. Let it line up outside the door.

I like you am concerned as do keep my mom 84 yrs old.

You called it correctly. People travelling this long weekend are selfish and may add in the gov. should of did enforcing to stop it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »

Totally irresponsible and selfish. Why should taxpayers foot the bill for the helicopter because of his own stupidity ?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »

Parking lot and fishing piers at Deer Lake closed. Any other local stocked lakes restrictions?

Was reading Lower Seymour
 Conservative open to pedestrians and cyclists only.

4x4

« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »

Mind numbing. The pure stupidy of people. I've read so many  articles of these people making excuses for not listening to what's  being asked of us.
One guy that's gone to Galiano Island commented if he gets sick "just send a helicopter to get me". Yeah right >:(

Stay home people and show the respect others are showing you.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »

I've read so many  articles of these people making excuses for not listening to what's  being asked of us.

"Many hikers are laser-focused on the two-metre (six-feet) rule, ignoring other equally important aspects of physical and social distancing."
-from https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pandemic/hikers-please-stay-f-home

The article is about hiking but much of the it applies to other outdoor activities. And it resonates with a lot of what I've been seeing and reading online lately.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....