Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195840 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »

Wow that’s impressive. Does any of it mean someone should be told to “seek help” or be told they have “verbal diarrhea” ?
Thanks again.
Nice to have those who keep it civil.
Me I am not going to call anyone bozos or seek help on & on...
If those who have a faith would be lined up for 50,000 miles waiting to see the doc seeking help.
But hey it does not bug me one bit.
I like people to express their true critical feelings rather than gossip behind my back.
At least so far I'm not tar or feathered or nailed to the cross.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »

More akin to stream of consciousness. Perhaps A-Boater is the James Joyce of the 21st century

LOL! Not everyone's consciousness works in streams.Quality is always a matter of opinion.

Freedom of speech does not include saying whatever one wants, where one wants. Much of what A-Boater writes is neither fact or opinion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:32:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »

LOL! Not everyone's consciousness works in streams.Quality is always a matter of opinion.

Freedom of speech does not include saying whatever one wants, where one wants. Much of what A-Boater writes is neither fact or opinion.
The 90 yr old lady did recover from Covid 19.
That's a fact.
Not a death sentence....hey if she recovered how old are you ?
I 'm 65 Ralph ...how old are you? Guess your in 50s 60s (do I hear over 100)
Regardless if she can recover you & I have good chance to recover being much younger.
Clap clap ! Fish along time is my wish for you...and all at FWR.
But to show you how smart I am .....
I bought a small bottle of hand sanitizer & at home opened the cap & then wanted so drop or 2 on my hands.
No drops came out of the bottle.
What!!!! ????
I could see the hand sanitizer in the bottle but it seemed not to want to come out ???
After 1 hr. pondering & feeling of disappointment ...hey I thought to un screw the cap. Hey there's a paper seal. Peeled it off.
Now let's try this again.
Will any sanitizer come out this time?
Yes it came out.
See how smart I am  ::)
Point being when scientists/NASA/teachers/ very skilled wkrs have a faith....you have to conclude that very smart people do have a faith.
Are they nuts?
In response to your pts.
Just an observation "of course".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:52:15 PM by A-BOATER »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »

Lol A-b. Don't get me wrong you can write what you like but I don't feel you have picked the right venue for your "observations".

I am not a Christian and I don't believe in any particular version of God or religion. Neither am I an agnostic.

On my wife's side of the family, some people are very religious and spiritual Her maternal Grandfather was a minister and 2 of her Uncles were as well. Neither met the Grand-dad but met the Uncles. I have very great respect for them and their spiritual integrity. One of the Uncles, his son joined the Hare Krishna organization. He later left or was pushed out in a 'purge'. He is still spiritual, spends 1/2 of every year in India and takes lessons and mediates with a Guru. I admire his pursuit of a near pure spiritual life, something most Christians don't do but not some of his ideas.

There's many kinds of Christianity. Some I respect, some I do not. I have heard many religious scientists speak and read what they wrote. They don't make a big deal of their faith. They don't have a problem reconciling it to Science or vice versa. Ditto for many of the 100 you listed in an earlier post. Just because they are Christians does not mean they agree with you or the Ministries you seem to be a disciple of or would appreciate your listing them in your post.

Christians have debated the significance of the Bible since it was committed to paper. What it means to be a Christian was defined at the Council of Nicaea after the Roman Emperor Constantine exclaimed he couldn't stand to have all his Bishops wasting all their time arguing about the nature of Christ. Constantine was there, with his bodyguard, to ensure they came to a decision.

About 100 years later  the Christian philosopher Augustine of Hippo (also known as St. Augustine) wrote that anyone who believed the Bible was to be taken as literal fact, was a fool. It was about spiritual truth. For close to 2,000 years that was more or less the case. The Bible as literal fact really just dates back a 150 years ago to some denominations in the US and that's about it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:13 PM »

Thanks RalphH for your explaining how ya feel.
I just was reading recent posts ...and many were against Trump so...
Gave my view why I think a % really attack the guy.
As for the 90yr old lady who beat Covid 19 in Washington State thought it was a story worthy of read.
But Trump has been attacked from his first day in office right till now...
Non stop.
I see the good he has done.
But again I'm bias.
RalphH your just going to have to lift up the box to see if there's a gold bar there or not.

But was surprised to find hand sanitizer for sale today in one store.
But eggs sold out....
Other store the same eggs sold out.
Breakfast 1 fried egg. Lunch 1 boiled egg supper 1 scrambled egg bedtime 1 raw egg ( in glass stirred with beer. ) ....not my menu but are people just eating eggs or what ?

Robert_G

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »

Lol A-b. Don't get me wrong you can write what you like but I don't feel you have picked the right venue for your "observations".

I am not a Christian and I don't believe in any particular version of God or religion. Neither am I an agnostic.

Then what are you, because all that's left is 'atheist'

On my wife's side of the family, some people are very religious and spiritual Her maternal Grandfather was a minister and 2 of her Uncles were as well. Neither met the Grand-dad but met the Uncles. I have very great respect for them and their spiritual integrity. One of the Uncles, his son joined the Hare Krishna organization. He later left or was pushed out in a 'purge'. He is still spiritual, spends 1/2 of every year in India and takes lessons and mediates with a Guru.

I admire his pursuit of a near pure spiritual life, something most Christians don't do but not some of his ideas.

Hare Krishna is nothing more than Hindu mysticism and is in no way the pursuit of a near pure spiritual life. In order to pursue a near pure spiritual life, one most pursue a pure and holy God. The Lord Jesus and only Jesus fits the bill. Nor is there any spiritual integrity involved in Hare Krishna . Their pursuit is in their own self discipline and near perfection when they should be humbling themselves before the one true God who created them and sustains them.

There's many kinds of Christianity. Some I respect, some I do not. I have heard many religious scientists speak and read what they wrote. They don't make a big deal of their faith. They don't have a problem reconciling it to Science or vice versa.

Real Christians don't reconcile their faith to science. Real Christians reconcile science to the Word of God. Although many will disagree, but the bible and science get along very well if studied without pretence, but instead is studied in the right context.

Christians have debated the significance of the Bible since it was committed to paper.
Wrong...Christians may disagree and debate on some of the less known none-core doctrines and less studied parts of scripture, but absolutely no true Christian would EVER debate the significance of the bible. The Word of God is inerrant and divinely inspired by God Himself. Jesus Himself taught that hostility towards the Holy Scriptures meant that you never belonged to God.

What it means to be a Christian was defined at the Council of Nicaea after the Roman Emperor Constantine exclaimed he couldn't stand to have all his Bishops wasting all their time arguing about the nature of Christ. Constantine was there, with his bodyguard, to ensure they came to a decision.

Wrong again...although some Roman Catholics may agree with you, but were talking about two different religions now. I'm talking about true Christianity. What it means to be a Christian was defined by Jesus Christ Himself.... and a few decades later it was explained and taught in greater detail by the apostles including (and especially) Paul. I'm not saying what Jesus taught was incomplete….just that the Apostles were teaching and preaching in different parts of the world and therefore presented the gospel for the proper audience. This was completed before the end of the 1st century AD....more than 2 centuries before Constantine was out of diapers. Constantine was full of himself just like every other dictator who ruled the Roman Empire. All scripture was completed by 95AD at the latest and everything a Christian needed to know for their salvation is in that scripture. Nothing written after that date was ever canonized...not even by Constantine himself.

About 100 years later  the Christian philosopher Augustine of Hippo (also known as St. Augustine) wrote that anyone who believed the Bible was to be taken as literal fact, was a fool. It was about spiritual truth. For close to 2,000 years that was more or less the case. The Bible as literal fact really just dates back a 150 years ago to some denominations in the US and that's about it.

Any Christian who studies the bible with desire to understand it, knows when it is literal and when it is not. It's not difficult for those who have asked God to give them a discerning mind.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:46:21 PM by Robert_G »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »

my gods the best, no my god is the best. i think this is how wars get started.

the very fact that you think your gods the best shows you how far you've gone down that rabbit hole. kinda sad actually.

its so much easier just being an atheist. all these stupids rules and what not don't apply to us. cant eat pork, go to church sundays, have to ware things on our head and so on.

one thing i will add is that some religious organizations do a lot of good work. to them i tip my hat.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:29:04 PM by bigblockfox »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2020, 09:44:55 PM »

Then what are you, because all that's left is 'atheist'

Hare Krishna is nothing more than Hindu mysticism and is in no way the pursuit of a near pure spiritual life. In order to pursue a near pure spiritual life, one most pursue a pure and holy God. The Lord Jesus and only Jesus fits the bill. Nor is there any spiritual integrity involved in Hare Krishna . Their pursuit is in their own self discipline and near perfection when they should be humbling themselves before the one true God who created them and sustains them.

Real Christians don't reconcile their faith to science. Real Christians reconcile science to the Word of God. Although many will disagree, but the bible and science get along very well if studied without pretence, but instead is studied in the right context.
Wrong...Christians may disagree and debate on some of the less known none-core doctrines and less studied parts of scripture, but absolutely no true Christian would EVER debate the significance of the bible. The Word of God is inerrant and divinely inspired by God Himself. Jesus Himself taught that hostility towards the Holy Scriptures meant that you never belonged to God.

Wrong again...although some Roman Catholics may agree with you, but were talking about two different religions now. I'm talking about true Christianity. What it means to be a Christian was defined by Jesus Christ Himself.... and a few decades later it was explained and taught in greater detail by the apostles including (and especially) Paul. I'm not saying what Jesus taught was incomplete….just that the Apostles were teaching and preaching in different parts of the world and therefore presented the gospel for the proper audience. This was completed before the end of the 1st century AD....more than 2 centuries before Constantine was out of diapers. Constantine was full of himself just like every other dictator who ruled the Roman Empire. All scripture was completed by 95AD at the latest and everything a Christian needed to know for their salvation is in that scripture. Nothing written after that date was ever canonized...not even by Constantine himself.

Any Christian who studies the bible with desire to understand it, knows when it is literal and when it is not. It's not difficult for those who have asked God to give them a discerning mind.

...as I was saying... thanks for illustrating it perfectly.

My wife's cousin is no longer with Hare Krishna. Until Paul the Apostle decreed that followers of Christ did not have to be circumcised, Christianity was just an obscure Jewish sect.

Did Christ say anything about the Bible RG? He was crucified decades before the Bile was written.The Xrystian right wing all but killed the Jesus project. That was a consortium of open minded Biblical scholars who tried to determine those things said in the Bible were actually said by Christ.

Two things I believe they found was  "Love thy neighbor as thy self" & another was "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth". Two phrases you'd do well to live by.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:56:16 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »

People have trouble accepting the fact that when they die they die and it’s the end nothingness.end of consciousness

So humans created religion as a coping mechanism

The science is pretty clear on this
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:06:16 PM by wildmanyeah »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2020, 12:21:51 AM »

bigblockfox ya say some do good work & ya tip your hat...
Yes that gospel mission in skid row really helps the down & out.
Salvation Army helps the juvenile who get in trouble with the law.
Miracle Valley ( Salvation Army ) past Maple Ridge has a big place that helps alcoholics...
Samaritans Purse helps the poor all over the world.
World Vision as well.
Operation Blessing helps in the USA ( based ) but also all over the world. Medical food shelter operations clean water ..
Orphan's Promise helps homeless kids teens who would be on the street or sex trafficked
There was a medical setup ( where was it ? ) Middle East somewhere SE of Egypt...anyways registered nurses & MDs in a total poor Muslim area that had zero medical services.
So many came because of sickness & so on....
One day a few guys entered the clinic & machined gunned these Christian nurses & doctors.
When they volunteered they knew they could be targeted.

But ya say it is easier to be an atheist. (Reminds me of that Lennon song...imagine there's no heaven above us. & no hell below us or however it goes.) Then ya go on to say ..do not eat pork wear this of that on your head ,go to church Sunday ...
I hear you ! I agree. All these religious rituals & rules...
Reminds me of getting your fishing rod ready ...hooks ...lures ...line ...reel...net ..
On & on...and spend 10 hrs getting fishing gear ready....drive to the lake & again spend more time getting ready the fishing gear ...and then get to the shore of the lake & make one cast  & reel in and then say ok fishing trip over    "let's go home"
Fishing would not be any fun.
So too if a person seeks God but gets hung up on too many rituals ...
Church is good if we can find a sincere pastor...
Bottom line is a person needs an encounter with God ...literally feel His Holy Spirit presence.
That is the only thing that made me a believer.

You can pray from your house. You can read New Testament on your own from your house...then if you pray & God responds by His Annointing you will then be convinced.
He's merciful...forgiving...so do not ever think you've done something bad so you think He does not love you. The worst of the very worst have met God.
Just thought your honest views needed a reply.
Even if you never step into a church ...you still can get to know Him. Ya can pray anywheres & anytime. & in your own words.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:25:28 AM by A-BOATER »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2020, 12:44:44 AM »

People have trouble accepting the fact that when they die they die and it’s the end nothingness.end of consciousness

You have a finger print no one else has....you live in this fantastic universe...animals ...flowers ...snowflake design ...earth 365 around the sun...should tell people there has to be a higher power.
There must be a meaning to life...we are so complex & to live and just die. We become nothingness.
But to think there must be a higher power is not the reason I'm a believer today.
I am a believer because at age 17 ...prayed to God 1st time from my heart in the City of Williams Lake and God responded " big time ". Had an encounter. ( no was not crazy or stoned on drugs)
That settled it. Believer ever since.
It is so simple really. Jesus loves us...devil hates us...heaven & hell exist.
Pray to Jesus and ask Him to forgive your sins & for His Holy Spirit to fill you !
After that read new test. daily , pray, if ya think wrong talk wrong do something wrong ..confess it & ask for mercy... & go on...God will give you love joy peace & heaven for free.
It's for the asking.
If church is a burden then do not go. Main thing is get to know God.
He is God but He wants to be your best friend.
He'll give you life & life more abundant.
I was not going to talk on religious topic but yous keep it going with your comments so you deserve my take on it.
But do hear where your coming from.
Remember when I did not know God.
I remember thinking ? Is this gospel for real or is it BS. How can I find out if it's real ? It truly was a maze or puzzle to me at one time too.

But should mention something about Covid -19
World Health Association says : stay 3 ft away from people who are not feeling well.

Gee 3 ft only ?
The message we get in BC is stay away 6 ft from others.
Wear a mask some say  & others say Do not wear a mask.
This is starting to get confusing.  Just like how some view religion.  :o
 ;D

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:58:14 AM by A-BOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2020, 01:47:05 AM »

my gods the best, no my god is the best. i think this is how wars get started.

the very fact that you think your gods the best shows you how far you've gone down that rabbit hole. kinda sad actually.

its so much easier just being an atheist. all these stupids rules and what not don't apply to us. cant eat pork, go to church sundays, have to ware things on our head and so on.

one thing i will add is that some religious organizations do a lot of good work. to them i tip my hat.

Unfortunately, there isn't a shortage of weak and vulnerable individuals on this planet who need that reassurance and a sense of belonging to get through life, and organized religions know exactly how to take advantage of these people.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »

Drumpf asks medical supply firm 3M to stop selling N95 respirators to Canada

https://globalnews.ca/news/6772979/coronavirus-3m-n95-respirators-trump-canada/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »

so much for free trade agreements and Globalization.

U.S. Diverts N95 Masks bound for Germany in "an act of modern piracy":

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/mask-wars-coronavirus-outbidding-demand

Robert_G

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »

Considering Canada shipped just about all we had to China in Feb....why would Trump give us anymore? Trudeau is known worldwide as a laughing stock and completely incompetent. For those who disagree, my challenge to you is read some Canadian new stories that are published in other countries. They have been laughing at us since he got elected the first time.