Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities  (Read 195863 times)

Robert_G

Re: Will COVID-19 Shut Down Fishing Opportunities
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »

DAANG, I just noticed Robert surpassed 500 posts in this thread.  Wish I had caught it when it happened, we could have had a party.

I'm actually well over 1000 posts. You have no idea how many of my posts have been deleted by Rod.
I think I've been here for 14 years.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:24:12 PM by Robert_G »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2020, 09:55:47 PM »

Please quote a personal attack I've made to someone here and their family and I will apologize.
A quote from this thread, or from the somewhat recent past?

TNAngler

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2020, 07:17:31 AM »

What is there to talk about?
I'd love to talk about hockey, but again....what on earth is there to talk about? Anyone thinking we're getting the season finished is kidding themselves.

For a while it was about the season, it has morphed into guys talking about their life and how they are getting through although there is still some hockey talk going on.  At least here they are replaying old games, all ones we win which is awesome.  There is plenty else to discuss too if we wanted.  For instance, during the shutout shortened season, the NHL allowed one contract to be nullified (paid out but wouldn't count against cap space) essentially each of the next two years.  They could do something like that again and if they do, would the Leafs try and let their whole team go?  LOL, just kidding, but there is stuff to discuss.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »

Killary Clinton is not on this message board....and she is the devil incarnate....its not a personal attack when its the truth.

Your second quote is not a personal attack. It is merely an observation of factual evidence....that others here would agree with.
A personal attack would be saying something like 'your mother wears army boots'

Hilary is the "devil incarnate" is fact or based on factual evidence? My experience is it is impossible to have a rational conversation with you.  Any reasonable person would agree that H Clinton is a person and calling her the "devil incarnate" is a personal attack.

To the extent I may have manipulated and twisted peoples words is also not a personal attack. At worst it is using a logical fallacy in an argument. Something I know you never do! [sarcasm]

I think it's long past time this particular thread be locked!

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

arimaBOATER

« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

Went food shopping / picking up my mom's meds...it's a first...line up outside.
One person comes out another allowed to go in.
Again I just felt like a zebra crossing a river with crocs...
Is the virus present? Did someone cough or sneeze in this part of store & Covid 19 on surfaces...
Did I get any virus ...being in this public place...if so it may take even 9 days to even have symptoms or something like that...
One worker in the store had a spray bottle & rag & was spraying disinfectant on a handle of a freezer door.
Guess he was bored or tired of walking around ...he stood there for 15 minutes disinfecting that same handle !!! He still was there at that spot after my groceries were paid.
Ha !
Guess that handle had lots of Covid 19 on it.

But the numbers of people dying are going thru the roof !
Europe is so bad ...maybe refugees may say...we're leaving & going back to Syria or wherever...Libya ..
Too much virus in Europe let's va moose.
USA experts have comments like 100,000 -200,000 projected to die !
Some report even 1 million.
Then even heard 2 million.
Gee we have it good so far compared to what is happening else where.
This Covid 19 must be spreading to the western ports / harbours along the west coast Washington Oregon California thus affecting marinas / ports of call. Everything is being affected by this virus.
It's got to get better because if it keeps getting worst & worst & for a long time ...hate to think of it.

The chinookobserver article is heart breaking. The bills keep coming but they are shut down.
How do these guys sleep at night.
Like he said...impossible to keep your 6 ft distance on a charter boat.
Put up a plastic shield on boat. Capt stays on this side ...sports guys/gals stay on that side  ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:16:05 AM by A-BOATER »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »

To get back to the point, here is an article about how COVID-19 is crushing fishing charters on the Washington Coast:

https://www.chinookobserver.com/news/sinking-feeling-envelops-charter-fleet-amid-fishing-closure/article_74095e18-7375-11ea-8f23-4b6019d40376.html?fbclid=IwAR3JTwthqhCdJ8KBHTaLhJIQ8jG4DkCC5dEkQ0b9WsOKhl24n6_ncPE0HFI
And more fish will get back to our rivers I guess, maybe fish farms will shut down too.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-memo-to-the-rest-of-canada-how-dr-bonnie-henry-and-bc-are-getting/
It makes me happy to live in a part of the world where sanity and reason are the norm.  Here's how we are doing across the border:  https://theweek.com/articles/905612/washington-gov-jay-inslee-what-real-coronavirus-leadership-looks-like

When this all is behind us and the border opens, I look forward to gathering with some of you around a campfire and drinking coffee will waiting for sunrise on the river.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »

And more fish will get back to our rivers I guess, maybe fish farms will shut down too.
It has hurt fish farms as well - apparently like 20% of salmon is for the restaurant market, and people aren't buying more of it to cook at home.

Robert_G

« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »

And more fish will get back to our rivers I guess,

You guessed wrong. Natives will still be fishing...that is a fact....and there will be no one policing them either.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2020, 06:42:27 AM »

There ain’t one world leader who did anything extra ordinary to stop covid coming into their country and that’s a fact. Except Rocket Man
We need a non related fishing section. Thank you

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »

There ain’t one world leader who did anything extra ordinary to stop covid coming into their country and that’s a fact. Except Rocket Man
We need a non related fishing section. Thank you

WRONG !

when China first had its outbreak, Russia closed its massive boarder with China and only had 2 infections tied people in that region. Al of Russias cases are in the west. They were all imported from Europe. Also note that Singapore and Taiwan  closed their boarders with China and avoided catastrophe  at the beginning  as well. Although they do have cases of COVID now, they are also imports from Europe. They avoided an outbreak cases by infected Chinese nationals. Even local governments in Canada have managed to keep COVID 19 away ( for the time being ). NWT have no active cases now and Nunavit has never had a case. Both territories closed thei boarders early.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:27 AM »

While they closed the Chinese border Jan 30th, Russia didn't close it's borders until March 30th. On the 14th it's closed it's borders with Norway and Poland. Prior to that it pursued a policy of supervising (harassing) Chinese nationals living in the country.

South Korea enacted border restrictions, not a closure on March 17th. March 23rd it issued a travel advisory to all residents of the country to cancel or post-phone out of country travel. In early March it had a massive of spike of case and then relied not on travel restrictions but on having residents change their behaviour! It's first case was identified in January and then it acted fast to bring in widespread testing

Taiwan and Singapore are Islands so technically have no borders so entry ports are limited.

Singapore had it's 1st case of Covid-19 in December. Singapore. It increased border checks but did not close it's ports of entry until the last few weeks.   "...has kept coronavirus in check through aggressive testing methods, intensive tracing of carriers and clear public messaging. Throughout, schools have remained open and businesses operational. "

Taiwan like Singapore acted fast, increased border scrutiny and traced carriers from patients who tested positive.

Almost every country that has controlled it's outbreaks has seen a higher use of masks by the general public and quicker shut down of public activities than those who have seen massive increases. Tracing carriers and putting them in quarantine is another successful strategy. Which of these factors contributed most to their success isn't known.

Also important to know all of these countries have Covid-19. Covid-19 is in the Yukon and the NWT. Right now Covid-19 infection rates in Canada as a whole are likely much less than 3%. Of over 215,000 tested people in Canada about 3% have been positive. Tests are not done at random but are directed at people who are systematic or have been exposed to those who are.

https://www.globalgovernmentforum.com/lessons-from-the-frontline-how-to-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-travel-restrictions-border-shutdowns-country-200318091505922.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html?topic=tilelink

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.