Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions needed:Gear-Float/Drift fishing salmon/steelhead  (Read 6077 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Opinions needed:Gear-Float/Drift fishing salmon/steelhead
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

Cabelas down in Washington had some frogg toggs stuff last time I was down

Animal Chin

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »

I was looking at their jackets. How do they fit? I'm 5'7 was gna get a medium.

I did the same, I ordered both the small and medium. Both fit, med a little looser, but I kept the small. I'm 5'7" about 145 lb 37-38 chest. I was wearing a thick hoody underneath too. About the same length. If you're a little bulkier, the med is good. Length is virtually the same, maybe .5-1" more.

I was looking at the Simms Headwater, so happy I went with this.. The wrist collar, large inside pocket, bellow outside pockets, zippers on the hand warmer pockets. Very happy with the design. Not super super short either.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »

First post.... I have a Islander Steelheader reel, with a cheap 10' trophy XL in light-medium action. When I first pulled this setup out, all my friends laughed and were giving me the hardest time about having such a "crap" rod with a nice reel. I've been fishing every weekend since I have had it since I can still afford gas to get out there since I didn't blow it all on my rig. I watched my friends all eat their words when they saw me land a 22 pound spring on it, a 20 pound spring, and then three coho these last couple weeks. So honestly man, buy what you can afford, and just get out there and have fun. If people give you a hard time, who *%#in cares. As long as you're having fun, enjoy the sport. That's what it's all about.
As far as the LL Bean wading jacket, I sure hope you guys are right about it being a good jacket! Read your opinions and others and bought the paclight jacket last night. Hope it shows up soon!
Cheers!  :)

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »

That 10 footer is the same one I have and no problems landing springs as long as you don't snag one by the tail. Then it's point the tip down snap the leader and tie up a new one.

Animal Chin

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

As far as the LL Bean wading jacket, I sure hope you guys are right about it being a good jacket! Read your opinions and others and bought the paclight jacket last night. Hope it shows up soon!
Cheers!  :)

Still a wicked jacket, but I was wrong there are no inside pockets...so don't put anything in there, you'll see what I mean.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »

Can't say enough good things about Frogg Toggs...

Had their Hellbender waders for almost 3 years, and put probably close to 400 trips on them. Many of those days were bushwacking into remote flows, through salmon berry, etc. Fell down 2 rock faces over the years that would have measured 10-15 feet or better, even split myself open through the waders on one of those falls and no tears. IMO the best wader on the market for $130.

The Tekk Toad jackets are very worth the $50. We've put around 100 trips on ours the last year here... and they have held up well. Wearing them with waders that have Velcro (neoprenes) is a pain, as the Velcro will tear apart the inside of the jacket and jam up the Velcro with the fuzz that comes off the jacket. These jackets also came on many crazy bush wacking excursions, and held up better than I expected. They felt thin so I thought they would tear on everything and anything salmon berry or blackberry like, but they have surprised me many times. I've put maybe 6 holes in mine in the past year, but they are incredibly easy to patch with some shoe goo or marine goop and won't leak after the patch. You only need to patch the back, shoulder and arms, every where else has multiple layers and only the stuff in the pockets will get wet if you get holes on the front/sides.

As for your rod/reel. I'd honestly get a baitcaster, but that's just me. Longer casting range, get more casts into a day (pins take forever to reel in), can toss spoons and spinners. I've had some issues with the pin on island rivers as you can't reel in fast enough fishing some spots and all your gear gets caught in overhanging branches if you are fishing slots mid to other side of river. Only advantage of a pin is that it gets better drifts and is more fun to fight fish on being single action.

Last thing... don't cheap out on boots. Boots that are ratty will wreck the feet on your waders. Stay away from Chota's, they are complete garbage and not worth any amount of money. If I were doing everything all over again with the knowledge I have now, I would be looking for an old pair of Hodgeman's (either the leather or canvas ones). Things are bomb proof besides the felt, but the felt is easy to replace for 20 bucks.

Last thing... don't buy Frogg Togg's waders in Canada... Every shop I have been to for the waders has had them extremely over priced, around $50 more than the states. Going from $130 to $180 makes them no longer worth the price. Best cheap wader on the market but if you're going to pay $180 for them, get a better wader in that case... Jackets seem to run about $50 everywhere I've seen them!

Cheers,
Dan