Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River September 13th, 2007  (Read 4361 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Tidal Fraser River September 13th, 2007
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:29:50 AM »

The evening tides have had a very low range only 4 ft this week. That's probably why the fishing has been slow in the evenings. Next week the range widens and I'd guess that the fish push will be back on

Kevgor

Kevgor:
You're probably talking about the week of September 23rd when the range widens a little bit more. Next week is going to be even worse with an average 1.5 ft range.
As gheart said, this season is almost dying down this weekend.... Have to wait another couple of years for pinks to come in... Sigh..... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »

Don't expect another big bump of pink schools for the rest of this season. If you want consistency on hook-ups, I would head toward the Fraser Valley now while the fish are still fresh and the schools are more compacted at spots. I'm sure that we'll still be able connect with some pink salmon down here, but I don't expect any spectacular days since we would just be intercepting loosely scattered fish. Test fisheries in Juan de Fuca and Johnstone Strait are done, and they indicated that the peak of the run has already gone by a week ago. Since the peak, the daily return has sharply declined.

It has been good while it lasted.

dspot

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »

Tell me about it... I've managed to land at least 1 fish every time I've been from the 5th until the 10th, but from Tuesday-Thursday this week I haven't even seen anything landed and almost no fish rising in the Richmond area.

lowsauce

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »

Don't expect another big bump of pink schools for the rest of this season. If you want consistency on hook-ups, I would head toward the Fraser Valley now while the fish are still fresh and the schools are more compacted at spots.

I agree, i've been absolutely skunked all week on the evening tide, and i'm saving up for tomorrow morning, absolutely need to get a fish this year.

Any tips on where to head for this twds the valley?  I've been reading about Crescent Island (and area) b/w maple ridge and mission...anyone fish there?

any tips that don't give away your well-kept secrets are appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 11:46:38 AM by lowsauce »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »

:'( Sad the pinks are comming to an end this season :'( ..But i must say I had a blast in the lower fraser this year!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Johnny_5

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »

Based on the chart, it sure was a quick run this year

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »

Does anyone think just maybe they are late? I dont personally know but from other species coming in later and later it could be that we might just see a bump in the next week or so??? I am just trying to be optimistic.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »

Definitely not late. In fact, they are early. In the last several seasons, unlike other salmon species, pink salmon in Southern BC have been returning earlier.

From today's Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon updates:

As a result of higher than expected catches of Fraser River pink salmon in U.S. fisheries over the past several days, at the meeting today, the Panel approved an increase in the in-season run size estimate for Fraser River pink salmon from 10,000,000 fish to 11,000,000 fish, which is considerably below the pre-season 50% probability level forecast of 19,570,000 fish. The 50% arrival timing of Fraser River pink salmon is estimated to be August 23, which is nine days earlier than forecast. This is the third consecutive return year of adult Fraser River pink salmon where their marine migration timing has been considerably earlier than average. Although the current run size estimate of Fraser River pink salmon is far below the pre-season forecast, given the relatively low catches (approximately 443,000 fish), the spawning escapement goal of 6,000,000 fish should be exceeded.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 09:50:28 AM »

Rodney, your chart is for Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait).  I thought the bulk of the Fraser River run came down the east side of Vancouver Island through Johnstone Straight.  If this is the case, is the Area 20 test fishery data indicative of the run timing on the Fraser?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »

Rodney's right the fishing in the lower is done. We pounded it hard this morning before the high tide, during the high tide, and slack. Only a couple fishing showing here and there every once in a while but its done.

Time to move up river for the remaining fish before they are completely gone.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »

I herd that peg leg area has a ton of pinks around.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day