Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead, Fishing Skinny Water  (Read 13816 times)

Trout_Bum

Steelhead, Fishing Skinny Water
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »

In another thread, an experienced angler...initials JC (hmmmm) mentioned that many of his steelhead were caught in 2' of water along wide fast flowing runs. This is water that I don't usually fish. Maybe that explains why I am not catching fish. I typically look for walking speed runs or pools. Those are the same pieces of water everyone else fishes.
Does anyone else fish skinny water, and if so is it simply a case of sliding your float down to the appropriate depth? I usually fish an 18" to 24" leader, so I can see that might be an issue in shallow weather.

Trout Bum (trying to be a steelhead bum)

Chehalis_Steel

Re: Steelhead, Fishing Skinny Water
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

All salmon species and steelhead are often found in skinny water close to shore. If you think about it, if there's nothing posing a danger to them, why should they waste energy holding in faster deep water. Howevet during brighter days or if there os heavy fishing pressure then of course they will move deeper. Especially with Steelhead you really want to cover both types of water. That's the only way you're gonna catch fish. I caught two Steelhead a couple of years back on the fly, one in a few inches of water at the head of a run and the other in a deep pool. So they do hold in both types of water.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »

Fish will hold ANYWHERE they can get a bit of a break from the main flow.

This often means the sides, especially if there is no structure to provide a slow spot, and the bottom is relatively smooth (rough bottoms cause slow spots at the bottom.)

Water flow is all about friction. Friction causes the water to slow down... And this friction is caused by the bottom, the banks, anything in the water (big boulders, logs, ect) and even the air. Typically the fastest part of a flow will be near the middle, a few inches below the surface.

Spots right near the main flow also provide the other thing the fish needs - food supply. Food drifts down the main flow, and from here the fish can dart out, grab it, and move back to slower waters.

rustybee

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »

Fish will hold ANYWHERE they can get a bit of a break from the main flow.

This often means the sides, especially if there is no structure to provide a slow spot, and the bottom is relatively smooth (rough bottoms cause slow spots at the bottom.)

Water flow is all about friction. Friction causes the water to slow down... And this friction is caused by the bottom, the banks, anything in the water (big boulders, logs, ect) and even the air. Typically the fastest part of a flow will be near the middle, a few inches below the surface.

Spots right near the main flow also provide the other thing the fish needs - food supply. Food drifts down the main flow, and from here the fish can dart out, grab it, and move back to slower waters.

Best post I've read this month.
Heed the above advise and the fish you seek will be found.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »

Yes, all the time, and never overlook the skinny water in any run you fish.  Fish that water close to shore first, and do so while you are still back from the bank a bit.  After you check that there are no fish holding in tight, you can then move out to the middle of the run. 
Not all those who wander are lost

TheFishingLad

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

Yes, all the time, and never overlook the skinny water in any run you fish.  Fish that water close to shore first, and do so while you are still back from the bank a bit.  After you check that there are no fish holding in tight, you can then move out to the middle of the run.
Too many times do I get weird looks as I start my first cast 15ft from the waters edge.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »

Not as weird as the the looks you get when you hook one.  Although I must say that your chances if hooking a steelhead in the skinny water next to shore decreases proportionately with the number of eyes watching you.  This is best attempted when you are first to approach a new run.  Bank activity will certainly cause most fish to move off into deeper water.  Although it cannot hurt to try.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

I have caught steelies in every water type. I even stood 10 feet back from the edge once so I could literally fish the shore edge maybe 1-2feet out, hooked and landed a sizable doe from that water too. I think the only water I haven't caught them in is anything over 5-7feet in depth, I fish it of course because I put a few casts through everything but just can't recall ever hooking one in deeper water.

I still remember this one day helping a gentleman land a monster buck that he hooked in water no more than 18" deep and the water was very clear. Best part was he said he couldn't even see it sitting there behind the only larger boulder.

I have also caught many fish in these very shallow spots behind rocks. Usually not large fish but have always been very explosive  ;D

Just remember to constantly be changing your fishing depth as you work through every run and don't pass over any type of water. If its not the greatest looking water then 1-3 casts, move down a bit, repeat............etc is the best strategy. The more water you cover effectively the better and the more success you will get

Best way to learn the river well is to pick a section (couple km's) of river, park at the exit point and walk to where you want to start and fish your way back to your vehicle. Depending on how fast you go this may take only a few hours or a full day so pack a lunch.

Good luck out there
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:10:28 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

CoastRider

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

Never pass up a piece of water!

Two years ago i was standing in approx 12inches of water, working my way down the run, fishing the spot where i usually find them. As i took another step, i heard a splash and looked behind me to see an 8-10~ lb buck thrashing through the 8inches of water behind me. After that, i always make a cast to anything that looks fishy that could conceal the fishes dorsal fin

Trout_Bum

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »

Comments are all good. Looks like I have been walking past good water. This season I will be sure to include skinny water on my trips.
What (if anything) do you guys do differently with your float set ups for fishing water that may be only 2' deep. Seems to me the float would be right on top of the weight. I generally use a hollow pencil lead on my main line.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »

Comments are all good. Looks like I have been walking past good water. This season I will be sure to include skinny water on my trips.
What (if anything) do you guys do differently with your float set ups for fishing water that may be only 2' deep. Seems to me the float would be right on top of the weight. I generally use a hollow pencil lead on my main line.

Lets say I was fishing 2' of water. I would have my depth set from the top of my float to my swivel around 18"-20" a shorter leader will keep your bait closer to that depth versus swirling all over as well in the current.

Good to see one of my posts got at least one person thinking lol.

It's hydrology not friction  ;)

Now are you sure they sit there for food or is it because there's more oxygen there or that the faster current provides a quick escape?  :D
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Suther

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »

It's hydrology not friction  ;)

Now are you sure they sit there for food or is it because there's more oxygen there or that the faster current provides a quick escape?  :D

Its friction. Friction is the force that causes the water to slow down, change course, ect.

Hydrology is the study of the hydrosphere. The hydrosphere is exactly what you would expect (basically all water on earth) and makes up one of the four spheres of physical geography - hydrosphere, biosphere (life) geosphere (rocks, ect) and atmosphere.

As for exactly WHY the fish sit where they sit,  Im sure those are both good reasons a fish would sit there. But so is food.

brownmancheng

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 02:18:11 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about depth just make sure you aren't dragging bottom .err on side of too shallow,if a steely wants it he will come for it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

Its friction. Friction is the force that causes the water to slow down, change course, ect.

Hydrology is the study of the hydrosphere. The hydrosphere is exactly what you would expect (basically all water on earth) and makes up one of the four spheres of physical geography - hydrosphere, biosphere (life) geosphere (rocks, ect) and atmosphere.

As for exactly WHY the fish sit where they sit,  Im sure those are both good reasons a fish would sit there. But so is food.

So the soft pocket in front of a boulder where fish hold is friction?  :o  The water hasn't even contacted the boulder yet and it has slowed  :o :o :o

Hydrology
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Suther

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »

So the soft pocket in front of a boulder where fish hold is friction?  :o  The water hasn't even contacted the boulder yet and it has slowed  :o :o :o

Hydrology

boulder causes friction on water molecules which in turn push on more water molecules. Its all kinetic friction on a molecular level. So yes. Its Friction.

Hydrology is the study of water. You dont say "hydrology caused that to happen" because the study of something cannot be the cause of it.

btw, Im a geography student at SFU. This is kinda my thing.