Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jets on the Vedder  (Read 23798 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Jets on the Vedder
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

Who thinks who owns the river? As for links check Canadian Maritime Law. It is both irresponsible and illegal to operate a boat at high speed when people are in the water and that close. The possible consequences both civil and criminal are obvious to anyone but a fool. People who don't know this shouldn't be operating any power boat. In my experience many power boat operators act irresponsibly and are just plain rude when shore anglers are nearby. They also have an insufferable sense of entitlement simply on the basis that they have spent a lot of money on a man toy.

So you obviously know how a jet pump works and how you steer a jet boat right? "man toy" LOL jealous...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »

Obviously a jet boat is just a compensation for penis envy, so I don't need one. ;D

No I am not jealous and have other financial priorities. Beside I own 3 watercraft already... maybe if I won the lottery I'd buy a nice boat but likely not a jet boat.

Oh and Maritime Law doesn't distinguish between jet boat and power boat. I'd love to hear someone argue otherwise  in court after they've squashed and drowned a wading angler on the V-C.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »

Obviously a jet boat is just a compensation for penis envy, so I don't need one. ;D

No I am not jealous and have other financial priorities. Beside I own 3 watercraft already... maybe if I won the lottery I'd buy a nice boat but likely not a jet boat.

Oh and Maritime Law doesn't distinguish between jet boat and power boat. I'd love to hear someone argue otherwise  in court after they've squashed and drowned a wading angler on the V-C.

"Penis envy" lol exactly what the jealous ones say to make themselves not sound jealous to others. Whatever you have to say to make it so you can sleep at night I guess though. The guys that say they have a big one end up having the smallest one...
To steer a jet you need to be under power and the more propulsion used the more steering ability you have. What I wonder is why all the people on shore just stand there nipples deep in the water while they listen to a jet come up river for 45-60 seconds as they're not that quiet. Ahhh yes that's right no common sense, normal people need to protect the ones that would normally die off in evolution and those genes then would be gone from the gene pool. However the way sociaty is these days even the dimmest buld on the tree or the dullest knife in the drawer gets held onto like a hoarder. I dunno but if I was standing in an open field and there was a Boeing 777 making an emergency landing I would move not just stand there and say "Well aviation laws state..."

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

"Penis envy" lol exactly what the jealous ones say to make themselves not sound jealous to others. Whatever you have to say to make it so you can sleep at night I guess though. The guys that say they have a big one end up having the smallest one...
To steer a jet you need to be under power and the more propulsion used the more steering ability you have. What I wonder is why all the people on shore just stand there nipples deep in the water while they listen to a jet come up river for 45-60 seconds as they're not that quiet. Ahhh yes that's right no common sense, normal people need to protect the ones that would normally die off in evolution and those genes then would be gone from the gene pool. However the way sociaty is these days even the dimmest buld on the tree or the dullest knife in the drawer gets held onto like a hoarder. I dunno but if I was standing in an open field and there was a Boeing 777 making an emergency landing I would move not just stand there and say "Well aviation laws state..."
The river is loud and there is no reason for a Vedder fisher to expect a jet boat to be flying around the corner. If the jet boat driver cannot see or avoid someone standing in the river then they are the irresponsible one.

fishyfish

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

"LOL Hopefully no one is dumb enough to do that, oh wait some did try that to me when running peg leg over the years. I've had 3 people cast a betty into my boat, one guy lost his rod and reel as I kept going, the other two both got spooled after I tied their shyte to my boat and continued up to my to chosen spot for the day."

Why did you feel the need to drive  close enough to shore that three people were able to cast into your boat?

"Maybe I'll start running mine up the river more than in June just so I can read about it here when I'm at home bored."

These two statements support my opinion that these particular jet boat operators are looking to spark confrontation and controversy. Running a jet boat up a small river traditional viewed as a fishing, kayaking, whitewater rafting (all of which I don't have a problem with) river and then coming on a fishing forum to promote and defend the action shows me some are probably looking for attention. Hopefully you have been relieved of your "boredom" for a short spell.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:14:32 AM by fishyfish »

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »

The river is loud and there is no reason for a Vedder fisher to expect a jet boat to be flying around the corner. If the jet boat driver cannot see or avoid someone standing in the river then they are the irresponsible one.

The chilliwack river is FAR from loud, the only area that may be "loud" would be tamahi. No one has said that a boat has even been close to them you're jumping to conclusions. Everyone is crying about the wake which is like 5" tall and that they "spook" the fish.

"LOL Hopefully no one is dumb enough to do that, oh wait some did try that to me when running peg leg over the years. I've had 3 people cast a betty into my boat, one guy lost his rod and reel as I kept going, the other two both got spooled after I tied their shyte to my boat and continued up to my to chosen spot for the day."

Why did you feel the need to drive  close enough to shore that three people were able to cast into your boat?

"Maybe I'll start running mine up the river more than in June just so I can read about it here when I'm at home bored."

These two statements support my opinion that these particular jet boat operators are looking to spark confrontation and controversy. Running a jet boat up a small river traditional viewed as a fishing, kayaking, whitewater rafting (all of which I don't have a problem with) river and then coming on a fishing forum to promote and defend the action shows me some are probably looking for attention. Hopefully you have been relieved of your "boredom" for a short spell.

Ever been to peg leg? Ever been there when the river is low? Near the top you can damn near cast across the channel. Now picture people on both sides of the channel...

As for getting attention yes that's it, I use my pleasure craft to get attention  ::) Heck sometimes I just tow my boat around when I don't even plan on using it that day to say "HEY LOOK I HAVE MONEY TO BLOW AND MY PENIS IS SMALL"  ::) 

...jealous...

B.S. People are talking about being swamped. The river is narrow and if you're blasting upriver at 30 knots you cannot avoid getting close. If you think your wake is only 5" then you are also delusional.
I don't feel envy for you - only pity.

30 knots ::) try more like 15 maybe 20 knots tops. Yes 5" well ok maybe 7" and no I'm not delusional, am I running a 30' HCM twin HD up the river? No I am not.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:44:48 AM by Johnny Canuck »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »

No one has said that a boat has even been close to them you're jumping to conclusions. Everyone is crying about the wake which is like 5" tall and that they "spook" the fish
B.S. People are talking about being swamped. The river is narrow and if you're blasting upriver at 30 knots you cannot avoid getting close. If you think your wake is only 5" then you are also delusional.
I don't feel envy for you - only pity.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

There is absolutely no reason to fishing the vedder while wading above your waist. So there should be no way to be "swamped" by a passing boat. The only reason be be wading out any deeper than your waist would be to cross the river.

salmonlover

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »

man i want your lives! nothing better to do than argue boats on a freaking river. i want that kind of stress free life.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »

man i want your lives! nothing better to do than argue boats on a freaking river. i want that kind of stress free life.

Well some days I wished I worked as it gets boring sitting at home when it's slow on here... Nah who am I kidding  :P

mikep

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »

I have a jet, a little 14' puddle jumper with a 40/30 horse not much of a speed demon but man it will run shallow. I ususally use it in places seriously remote and really have no desire to run the vedder as fun as that would be. The problem with jets is that if you arent on plane then you could be on the bottom. Coming up though shallow tail outs and such I cannot let off the throttle or I will be on the ground. You can not get back up on step unless you have 12 or more inches of water to deal with. When I do see a shore angler I will usually hug the opposite side of the river to minamize disturbance and if the run is deep enough I will come off plane and putt though the run. At the end of the day a jet is a tool which can be used to access some of the best and most remote rivers in our province. You can legally run the vedder and I may consider it but proably only in june when there arent any fishermen about and if there are well I wouldnt have any problem getting really close.  ;)  my 2 cents

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »

the real question is with all the shore access on the Vedder why would you NEED to run a jet up there......

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

the real question is with all the shore access on the Vedder why would you NEED to run a jet up there......

I think those that run their boats up the Chilliwack system do so because their other plan fell through. Such as they were fishing for sturgeon and it was slow and they had some gear rods on board the boat. I only run mine in there in June and that's for the shyte and giggle factor. I've often thought about going for the limit hole area but have never really followed through with it lol.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

I've often thought about going for the limit hole area but have never really followed through with it lol.

Hey Johnny,  Just curious , can you really jetboat all the way up to Limit hole, I have never seen it before ?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

Hey Johnny,  Just curious , can you really jetboat all the way up to Limit hole, I have never seen it before ?

With the water up why not? Only actually tricky area would be tamahi that I can think of off hand.