Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jets on the Vedder  (Read 23798 times)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Jets on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »

it is legal and they have a right to the river too. but casting at them or throwing things at them would be some sort of assault.

besides if someone casted at me  I would probably pull my boat over and have a nice friendly irish chat with them.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »

it is legal and they have a right to the river too. but casting at them or throwing things at them would be some sort of assault.

besides if someone casted at me  I would probably pull my boat over and have a nice friendly irish chat with them.
As opposed to blasting by within several metres of someone standing waist deep and swamping them. Gross negligence, assault, battery come to mind.
You may think you throw less wake on plane but it doesn't give waders a chance to get out of the way.
Think of it as driving through downtown Vancouver at 60mph. You may not hit anyone but you sure aren't going to make any friends. I don't think anyone would complain if someone idled upriver.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

Too many people crying and jealous they don't own a jet? Yup

Hahaha... I'm sure some people are "crying and jealous", but I'm not one of them. 

Besides - having a jetboat would be nice, but I can promise you I wouldn't be running it up the Vedder if I did.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

Too many people crying and jealous they don't own a jet? Yup
My thoughts exactly. Apparently sharing the river only applies to 'walk and wade' fishermen.

Trout_Bum

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

Dion, I agree completely. What bothered me initially was the jet coming right through my drift with no regard to my enjoyment of the river. I felt as though these guys dropped a hand grenade into the run. Sure it may not be illegal, but in my view its unethical. As I try to practice good etiquette on the flow, it's disturbing to see this type of behavior.
Has anyone had a boat anchor in the middle of an already occupied (by shore fishermen) run?

Trout_bum

fishyfish

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »

"have a nice friendly irish chat with them"

Bring it on baby. Maybe bring it on shore ( the talk) and lets watch that heavy piece of destructive machinery float down stream to a place where it is more welcomed.  Enough other places to go, that  would do less damage than  to a jewel of a river. Johnny Canuck jealous no. Amused by the ignorance and stupidity of a few people looking for a confrontation or a controversy . Yes.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »

I don't think anyone would complain if someone idled upriver.

I think this is an important statement.

I'd argue that people would still complain even if the boat idled up through a run. The sense of entitlement people show is astounding.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »

I'd argue that people would still complain even if the boat idled up through a run. The sense of entitlement people show is astounding.

It's as if the shore anglers own the river... I'm still baffled why some people are fishing the river while standing waist deep in the water. I can cast across the river almost anywhere on the system, besides if you're waist deep there was probably fish holding there before you spooked them away. The people complaining about a jet quickly running up a river have no idea about jets clearly. A jet on plane has like 3" of hull in the water, a jet idling up stream will have  like 6-8" in the water. Which will have a bigger wake? Hmmm I'm no rocket scientist but I'd say 6-8" probably.

What would "spook" fish less a quick noise or a long lingering one? A quick noise.

Now for those that think a boat will turn steelhead off the bite at this time of the year are obviosly limited in their fishing experiences. Stale fish need a good "spooking" to turn them on the bite. For example when I fish a piece of water (usually pools or runs) which I know has fish in it and I don't hook anything I will toss in a couple fist sized rocks to stir the fish up a bit and snap them out of their "trance". Give the piece of water a few quick minutes and then fish it again, most of the time I hook one or more fish. Maybe you guys should be thanking the jet boat for running around stirring up the fish rather than tossing shyte at the boat like children.

Bring it on baby. Maybe bring it on shore ( the talk) and lets watch that heavy piece of destructive machinery float down stream to a place where it is more welcomed.  Enough other places to go, that  would do less damage than  to a jewel of a river.

I'm not aware of a jet boat that doesn't have an anchor of some sort... As for the Chilliwack system being a "jewel" ROTFLMFAO  ::) It's a hatchery induced river for a meat fishery and the most heavily stocked flow in BC, it was a jewel 50 years ago.

Hahaha... I'm sure some people are "crying and jealous", but I'm not one of them. 

Besides - having a jetboat would be nice, but I can promise you I wouldn't be running it up the Vedder if I did.

Maybe I'll start running mine up the river more than in June just so I can read about it here when I'm at home bored.

Target practice. Bouncing Betty style. Combine fishing and hunting at the same time😜
We shall call it funting.

LOL Hopefully no one is dumb enough to do that, oh wait some did try that to me when running peg leg over the years. I've had 3 people cast a betty into my boat, one guy lost his rod and reel as I kept going, the other two both got spooled after I tied their shyte to my boat and continued up to my to chosen spot for the day.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:33:21 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

roseph

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

You know what I do when jet boat rips by?  Take a few steps back and wait..

Same principle would probably work well here too.

fyrslyer

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »

Yup!

joshhowat

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »

Omg popcorn needed this is the best thread in a long time.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »

I don't know what all the hate is about...often times the fish come on in a big way after jets go by, it stirs them up and gets them biting...
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

colin6101

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:58 PM »

As long as the boater isn't purposefully trying to swamp people on shore then I don't see the issue. I fish out of a kayak and have shared a lot of rivers with jet boaters and they have always been very respectful of me.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »

It's as if the shore anglers own the river... I'm still baffled why some people are fishing the river while standing waist deep in the water.

Who thinks who owns the river? As for links check Canadian Maritime Law. It is both irresponsible and illegal to operate a boat at high speed when people are in the water and that close. The possible consequences both civil and criminal are obvious to anyone but a fool. People who don't know this shouldn't be operating any power boat. In my experience many power boat operators act irresponsibly and are just plain rude when shore anglers are nearby. They also have an insufferable sense of entitlement simply on the basis that they have spent a lot of money on a man toy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Pin-nook

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

Bring it on baby.....

fishyfish.....not sure if you know Jetboatjim but if he was to come ashore for a "friendly irish chat", he must really be pissed off cause I personally couldn't see it but 9 times out of 10 I'd put my money on Jim.  I'd think twice before throwing down with a guy that's thrown with mitts. 

Hate to say it folks but if there's no law stopping jetboats from running up the Vedder than there's nothing else to be said.  1 thing I have learned is that not everyone plays nice and that everyone seems to look out for themselves. I would hate it to if I was fishing a stretch where a boat goes ripping by but what can you do about it if there's no law against it!