Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reduce limits @ lafarge  (Read 5728 times)

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
reduce limits @ lafarge
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:17:14 AM »

I,m thinking it might be a good idea to reduce the kill limit in lafarge,maybe to 1or 2.I realize it will be just as hard to enforce cause there aren,t enough co,s but it may help.I would like to know what you all think?
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: reduce limits @ lafarge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »

How is reducing the limit of fish in a stocked lake a good idea? Not being rude or anything, just want to know what will be accomplished in doing so. :)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:18:38 AM »

too many rules already. its a put and take fishery.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »

Reducing the limit will have little effect if there is no enforcement. I've heard of people double or even triple dipping. They go home with the limit and then return later for another limit.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »

Triple dipping on pellet fed catchables... Yuck.

I used to catch a limit every day at Sardis Park Pond (like como lake) - I had so many of them in the freezer my parents forced me to start eating them...

The muddy taste was so bad I never killed another one again. And it's another reason I don't kill lake rainbows... You just never know when that disgusting taste will be there.

Anyone know an easy way to predict when the fish will taste muddy?

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »

I could be wrong but maybe the triple dippers would find it a pain in the --- . And consequently knock it off. As far as muddy taste I find it usually occurs after a couple weeks of hot weather.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »

Like trout80 said usually after warm weather.  Usually more frequent in shallow lakes and close to none or no cold water inflow lakes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »

Introductory/put & take fisheries provide fantastic opportunities for those who enjoy learning and taking some fish home from fishing. The users of this fishery are usually kids, elders, individuals with a physical disability, novice anglers, and individuals with a limited budget.

Most users are informed and responsible. Many simply enjoy catching and releasing these fish. Some choose to take their limits home. Good for them as it is the purpose of this fishery. The problem sits on those who are aware of the regulations and choose to violate by taking more than what they are allowed to keep each day.

This problem would not disappear if the daily quota is reduced from 4 to 2, since violators disregard its existence in the first place. In the end, those who play by the rules will pay for the set back while violators continue to take advantage of the fishery and everyone else.

The solution of this is enforcement. Enforcement does not only include conservation officers, which we could use a few more, but it also includes your assistance. Whenever you witness someone taking more than their shares, phone and report. Be very specific, such as the clothes they are wearing, vehicle that they drive, gear that they use. Anything that helps the conservation officers identifying violators is crucial.

Use your own judgement of course, sometimes people are simply not aware. Sometimes a kind reminder to them can work. If not, go with the phone and report option.

Phone:

1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »

They have the one fish limit on green timbers it reduces # of fishermen and the people that fish are people that enjoy it you get the odd one that goes to their car multiple times but you always know that theirs fish in their they seem to get smarter there for you go from 10 fish days to not a bite but it's that challenge that keeps me going. Anyway it might be a good idea but it only works once and a while sometimes it increases the amount of people going to their car and coming back. Anyway my opinion
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »

They have the one fish limit on green timbers it reduces # of fishermen and the people that fish are people that enjoy it you get the odd one that goes to their car multiple times but you always know that theirs fish in their they seem to get smarter there for you go from 10 fish days to not a bite but it's that challenge that keeps me going. Anyway it might be a good idea but it only works once and a while sometimes it increases the amount of people going to their car and coming back. Anyway my opinion

The objective is of these put & take fisheries is to increase angling participation, not reduction. The objective that we should try to achieve is to reduce the number violations, which requires both enforcement and angling participation. Angling participation brings more pairs of eyes and ears to the waters, so more violations would be phoned in when witnessed.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 03:44:01 PM »

Thats not what I was trying to get to I meant that the one fish limit reduces the number of 20 fish per day taker's in this case.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »

Ah, I read your previous post three times and wasn't entirely sure of your point actually. ;)

Anyways, how does one prove that reduction of daily quota reduces the number of people taking more than their share?

If I intend to take 20 fish per day, it doesn't really matter whether the daily quota is 1, 2 or 4, since I would be breaking the law one way or another.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 03:50:40 PM »

Maybe I will just stop posting ;D for now
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:59:22 PM by Steely »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:54:31 PM »

No you shouldn't, otherwise discussions wouldn't happen and improvements couldn't be made. :)

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »

Thanks everyone, Rod you make  a good point.Yes the ones that take more than they should will always cheat, at least until caught and hammered for it.But leaving and returning every time you get one, I would think would be much more of a hassel than 4 at a time.And just maybe fewer people would do it.Or at least make only 3or4 trips so maybe they take 4 or even 5 and not 20 or 24.
   Anyway it was just a thought I wanted to put out there.I agree if we  could have more enforcment one way or another and leave the limits where they are that would be my first choice.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:52:16 PM by trout80 »