Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KRILL STYLE FLIES  (Read 9458 times)

HARLEY

• flyfishing
KRILL STYLE FLIES
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:27 AM »

Have any of you gents ever tied a Krill Pattern that works--If you have would you please forward your recipe to me. I have tied many different styles with very limited sucess. I would be fishing these in rivers and lakes in the Fraser Valley British Columbia. Thank You in advance for any help or advice you may offer to me.

harley

HARLEY

• flyfishing
Re: KRILL STYLE FLIES
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »

119 views and not one reply--Gee Thanks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

maybe noone here uses Krill patterns on stillwaters or rivers. when i hear Krill, personally i think of saltwater applications and i do tie a couple very basic patterns for pinks off the beach.

im sure the reason there have even been that many views is because everyone thought maybe you had posted pics of some or at the least a tying recipe. I know that was why i looked just after you had originally posted this  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »

As you stated, this may be true, but then I have to wonder why so many anglers fish with frozen krill in our local lakes as bait. Not a bad question right. I was only surprised that on such a great forum that no one had a reply-not even Rodney. But thank you for your observation of my request. Appreciated.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »

Hi I read your status and a couple days ago I started working on one and took it to okanogan lake and actually did quiet well in

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »

I think the reason people dangle krill, shrimp, single eggs ........ blah blah blah for trout is because scent causes strikes (most of the time) not the fact of what it looks like. I have a few small shrimp/krill looking flies for kokanee which never did get me a hookup at Kawkawa a few years ago. A red bloodworm pattern was what worked  ;D

have you come up with a decent krill imitation yourself ? if so why not share a pic  ;)
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »

I think the reason people dangle krill, shrimp, single eggs ........ blah blah blah for trout is because scent causes strikes (most of the time) not the fact of what it looks like.

Yep... After all, krill live in the ocean, not lakes. A krill pattern probably works better for humpback whale in the North Pacific than trout and kokanee in lakes that are primarily feeding on what live in them.

As you stated, this may be true, but then I have to wonder why so many anglers fish with frozen krill in our local lakes as bait. Not a bad question right. I was only surprised that on such a great forum that no one had a reply-not even Rodney. But thank you for your observation of my request. Appreciated.

Why would I have replied...? I'm not a fly tier.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »

Yep... After all, krill live in the ocean, not lakes. A krill pattern probably works better for humpback whale in the North Pacific than trout and kokanee in lakes that are primarily feeding on what live in them.

Why would I have replied...? I'm not a fly tier.

Gosh, this is a interesting reply-Maybe try having a look on your own forum at the clip listed in the Member Fishing Report section that Chris Gadsden filmed at Kawkawa lake on June 29th.,2012 where he states that himself and the Master as he calls Nick Basok and another angler that I do not know are catching their limit of good sized Kokaneee fishing off the bottom using Krill. I realize that there are crayfish in many of our rivers and lakes and they are a favoured bait by many gear fisherman but I have to wonder why many anglers that fish with them as bait drive to the salt water to harvest them and then use them in a Fresh Water River for bait? But I truly do have to admit that I will not probably going to be fishing for Humpback Whales in the North Pacific in the near future but Good Luck to you if you happen to go there. yourself.

A Statement From National Geographic!!!
Did you know? Scientists estimate that the total weight of all the Antarctic krill is more than the total weight of all humans on Earth.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:24:27 AM by HARLEY »

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:06:06 AM »

I think the reason people dangle krill, shrimp, single eggs ........ blah blah blah for trout is because scent causes strikes (most of the time) not the fact of what it looks like. I have a few small shrimp/krill looking flies for kokanee which never did get me a hookup at Kawkawa a few years ago. A red bloodworm pattern was what worked  ;D

have you come up with a decent krill imitation yourself ? if so why not share a pic  ;)

If a did find a Krill Pattern that worked well, I would be more than happy to post a picture of the fly-I am not like some anglers that feel the need to hord or kept information secret. I for one enjoy helping people to be succesful--Unfortunately nobody has been a help to my request other than a few remarks that really do not apply to my request for some advice. I actually do not think that a person would get to much scent off one tiny Krill-but I have been wrong before. I am not a bait fisherman and I do not scent my flies. But to each his own. Thanks for your input about your success with your bloodworm though.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Im also not one to hoard information unless someone has asked me not to say something about a spot being either lake or river. Im also known to give flies away while on the water so that others can get into fish or at the very least suggest flies from their own fly box to use. I have even sopped fishing for awhile to help newer fly fisherman to cast or how to mend/work their fly to be succesful (think i lost half a days fishing more then once doing this)  ;D

I do fish a small krill (euphasid) type fly for pinks in the salt chuck in a bright pink and a dull white/faded pink combo but i do not have pics of it and i think the only one left in my box is partially demolished. I dont use them much so i usually only have 3-6in my box at a time. I normally use a small Pink Eve variation instead  ;D 

I googled Krill patterns and found a thread where you asked in 2009 and the person that posted pics are of similar shape to what mine look like
Check out our new blog

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »

Gosh, this is a interesting reply-Maybe try having a look on your own forum at the clip listed in the Member Fishing Report section that Chris Gadsden filmed at Kawkawa lake on June 29th.,2012 where he states that himself and the Master as he calls Nick Basok and another angler that I do not know are catching their limit of good sized Kokaneee fishing off the bottom using Krill. I realize that there are crayfish in many of our rivers and lakes and they are a favoured bait by many gear fisherman but I have to wonder why many anglers that fish with them as bait drive to the salt water to harvest them and then use them in a Fresh Water River for bait? But I truly do have to admit that I will not probably going to be fishing for Humpback Whales in the North Pacific in the near future but Good Luck to you if you happen to go there. yourself.

A Statement From National Geographic!!!
Did you know? Scientists estimate that the total weight of all the Antarctic krill is more than the total weight of all humans on Earth.

Maybe try to be a bit less abrasive in your replies and focus more on what others are trying to tell you when seeking for information.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:17 AM »

Maybe try to be a bit less abrasive in your replies and focus more on what others are trying to tell you when seeking for information.

This a very good suggestion that should re-read when you are giving advice on WHALE FISHING--I have been waiting to read your reply and now that I have I will be more than happy to DELETE your forum off my computer.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »

This a very good suggestion that should re-read when you are giving advice on WHALE FISHING--I have been waiting to read your reply and now that I have I will be more than happy to DELETE your forum off my computer.

lol as if you haven't said that before. Consider it as an advice, instead of an attack as always. Your past responses have always been negative whenever you do not receive what you want, surprising from someone at that age.

Somehow you can't seem to get that the whale comment was a humorous way of hinting that matching the hatch is a better way to go when fly fishing.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

Please, re-read your own replies Harley.  You are as abrasive as they come.  First you criticize others for viewing, but not posting, your requested pattern.  Even though it was explained that most viewers were expecting to see a krill pattern, not produce one for you (I had thought, if you did not post one yourself, someone else may have, but I myself have no such patterns), you still criticize forum members for "hording" [sic] information, which could not be further from the truth.  If you browse this forum you will find hundreds of shared fly patterns.  I really doubt anyone is keeping their krill patterns a secret from you. You called out Rodney, who has admitted in numerous threads and videos that while he does cast flies, he does not tie them (at least not well, by his accounts).  He did offer sage advise (the catching  a humpback whale comment was not abrasive, it was using a humorous example of a species that actually eats krill, it is too bad you have no sense of humour at this point) that the use of krill (and you cite Chris and Nick's success at Kawkawa Lake with actual krill) is born out of a choice of desirable scent (while you may not believe it, one small krill gives off a factor of magnitude more scent than a fly pattern will).  Why you would think being critical of forum members would get more friendly advice than a polite request would, is beyond me.  If you feel you would get better advice on another forum (perhaps the one you poked in 2009), then by all means return there.  But do not come on here a hurl insults at people that are proven time and time again to be extremely helpful and generous with their time, knowledge and advice.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

1 little krill will let off enough scent for fish to smell from a good distance. I do believe fish can smell in the range of parts per million, which is WAY higher than alot of other animals that are known for their sense of smell (dogs for instance) With a fly we are trying to imitate an ACTUAL food source not just baiting the hook and hoping for the best. Of course alot of flies are designed to "trigger" a feeding response by using profile/colour/action...........etc

Harley - you got some sound advice on this topic over on Speypages however if you notice everyone told you to just tie up a scud pattern to imitate krill in a lake. seeing as there isnt any krill a scud at least has the shape/profile of an ACTUAL food source within the body of water so its a more viable option if you wanna fool a fish without using scent OR try spraying you fly with some krill scent and hang on  :o
Check out our new blog