Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cheaper alternative for a multip line  (Read 9454 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

cheaper alternative for a multip line
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

Ive been doing some research for a flyline for steelheading, and ive heard of the Rio versitip line alot, but, i dont wanna pay $160 for it. is there another cheaper line out there that has the same purpose?, or a way i can make my own versitip line for an 8wt?, or should i just buck up and pay the $160?

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: cheaper alternative for a multip line
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:04 PM »

Buck up and pay the $160 or see if ebay has one for less.  Its going to be a heck of a lot of work to duplicate a Versitip.  Rio's system works well.  Gotta ask yourself whether you are going to be using all those tips though.  For instance, all my coho fishing seems to be done with the clear tip, so if I just coho fished, I'd get a Rio Outbound clear tip.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »

almost all dry lines comes with factory loops on the end now so in theory you could buy a decent priced line (with the loop of course) and then just buy a couple Rio sink tips ($25 each) however this will still run you around $100 so why not pay another 60 and get all the tips (floater, clear, type III, type VI, type VIII)

I personally usually only use my clear and type 6 for coho fishing(sometimes even just the floater), I do use the type 8 on the Vedder in some places though. seems my type 3 usually only sees water on the fraser for pinks though  :-\

I recommend spending on the actual system instead of buying peicemeal cause it will save you money and you will be ready for any type of water you come across. just remember to always tied a few weighter AND unweighted of each of your top producing flies  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Brian

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:02:22 AM »

What about sinking poly-leaders?  ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:37 AM »

What about sinking poly-leaders?  ;D
--I've used these.. as a short extension to sink tip and on end of dry line... they work well in certain situations and even if you have a multi tip they are an additional tool.

--I like them because they are thin you don't need the same weight as the sometimes thicker shooting heads.
--Often use them in shallow delta areas or for different presentation in still water.
--Using for depth control of shrimp... want to get it down to a weed zone in a hurry yet keep it in the zone slow moving... I find dry line with poly sink tip is one way to achieve this... just gives a different look to the presentation over using full sinking lines and changes the angle of presentation.
--does affect cast... if you want to make a quad type tip we also cut the dry line head back to create a dry tip rather than just add on to end of the dry line. Easy to add loops or create a loop using the core of the fly line

blackskull

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »

+1 for polyleaders.  Rio and Airlflo makes them.  They come in different lengths and sink rates.  They are tapered for turning over your fly and cast way better than a full sink or sink tips.

I connect them to a full floating line.  Currently using Airflo 40+ for my 8wt. and Rio Gold for my 5wt.   Add tippet to the end of the polyleader. 

The polyleaders run around $12 each and usually have trout (8lb test) and Salmon (24lb test) weights.  Sink rates go to about 6-7 ips.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »

almost all dry lines comes with factory loops on the end now so in theory you could buy a decent priced line (with the loop of course) and then just buy a couple Rio sink tips ($25 each) however this will still run you around $100 so why not pay another 60 and get all the tips (floater, clear, type III, type VI, type VIII)

as the tips are intended to work with a floating head with no taper at the front this is unlikely to work well.

The Poly leader route is a good alternative.

Most shops also sell the floating section of the versa line (about 85 feet) for about $60. Buy a tip or two and add more as you need them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »

IT would work just fine Thank you, your last couple feet of dry line will sink as well though but this happens with the Versa line as well. I make my own sink tips for my 5wt to target pinks and it actually works WAY better than the premade tips my dad uses with his  ;)

I still recommend just buying the Versa system

I did just see that Reaction has bulk spools of some of the slower sink tip material, type6, type8 and maybe even the lighter stuff so you can make or have made tips for half the cost of Rio tips
Check out our new blog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

It may not cast as well as it should. The thin tip of the front taper won't be able to transmit the energy of the cast to the looped sinking tip. Likewise it more likely to hinge. What people used to do is cut the taper the first 10 to 15 feet, put a loop in both ends and then cut the tapers from older sinking lines and put loops on these - voila home made interchangable tip line!

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:09:09 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 03:09:51 PM »

Well the tip I use on my 5wt is from an old 8wt full rocket sink and it casts just fine even into a head wind on the beach. I just made a loop myself on my dry line because mine didn't have one (few years old now)

Hook - still recommends the proper tip system LOL

I forgt to mention I have been doing this awhile and casting these lines is tougher on beginners because of the added weight pulling the rod as you false cast, add to that a weighted fly and sometimes it can be chuck and duck
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:12:20 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »

Hook - still recommends the proper tip system LOL

Thanks for all the advice guys, the leadcore leaders do sound like a good alternative, but i need a line anyway for my new setup ive gotten from a old family friend that used to Fly fish back in the day.  a Fenwick FF858 8.5ft 8wt and i picked up a 1970's Garcia Kingfisher GK-44 8wt reel for $15.  I will either buck up and pay the $160 for the Versitip system or better yet, wait for santa to come  ;)

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »

Just to think more 'out of the box' check out the following;

Bag a few cheap fly lines (which are fine actually!) http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_698-john-norris-economy-fly-lines/ - these are UK based but at 4.99UK or approx $8.10 they are worth playing with and John Norris deliver world-wide.

Then make yourself a loop to loop connection (or likely your tackle shop will help!) from one to the other using a floating line as your 'running line'.

Then have fun making all sorts of different head lengths and depth speeds!!

PS.  If you like this shop (John Norris) also check out the following two;

1. http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html
2. http://www.sportfish.co.uk/
Try the fly!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »

Well the tip I use on my 5wt is from an old 8wt full rocket sink and it casts just fine even into a head wind on the beach.

that's like using your # 5 line as a shooting line with a #8 shooting head.  :D

There are ways to get cheaper lines to make your own multi-tip line. There are lower cost floating lines (most shops have demo lines they get in bulk and often you can get those for close to half the cost of a standard line -but you have to ask) and you can cut those about 10 to 15 feet from the tip. Put a loop at the each end produced by the cut. There are a number of ways to make the loops:

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/basics-and-rigging-tips/forming-end-loops-in-your-fly-lines-36224.html

So once you cut a line and out the loops on you have a floating tip. Try bumming older sinking lines from friends or other fly chuckers or source them cheap such as John Norris. You bascially need a intermediate and a Type 3 for most fishing but a type 6 or some t-14 will come in handy. You can go up one line weight and down a couple if you have trouble finding cheap or used lines in the same size as your main line.

After you've done it all you may wonder why you went to all the bother and time to save $30 or $40 but it's your choice.

Cheers.  

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »

--I don't use the poly leaders as a cheap substitute for the quad tip type system or for those that make their own from shooting heads.
--If you can... have them all
--each gives a different presentation with some overlap.

--if you fish the same area all of the time or search areas which suite your style of fishing you can really dial in... often the fine tune needed does not come from commercially produced products... so making your own much like fly tying just adds opportunity to get closer to what you want.

--I've been fishing in a channel with controlled water discharge the last few days... just got out the heavy gear, all rigged up and find out when I get there,  over night they've dropped the water level almost 2 feet.. now I'm on the bottom and hanging up on weeds that yesterday I could cast over.
--So quick spool switch and back to float line with shorter poly leader. Other guys are hiking back to their truck to either change up their rigs or head for home.
--even on controlled flow area the flow changes during the day so handy to have as many options as reasonably possible.

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 02:03:37 AM »

unless you are fishing for steelhead you dont need a versi system..  for salmon especially coho all you need is a floater or a clear tip cause u are fishing slack water where coho hold anyways. Plus the versi-system cast  better for spey rods  then single handers. the loop  to loop tend to casuse some issues when casting with a single hander. It will never be as nice as a full line.