Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are Lamiglas rods not that popular?  (Read 3695 times)

norm_2

Why are Lamiglas rods not that popular?
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »

Just wonder because I hear the quality, value, service, ... are reasonable.  If you have one, which one is it and what do you think of it?  Thanks.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Why are Lamiglas rods not that popular?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »

I have a lamiglas which retails around 250$, and a cheap clearance Berky rod which i picked up at Hubs for 10$. My personal preference is to use the berky, I find the lamiglas too noodly, and prefer a stiffer rod with a softer tip. If your looking for a lamiglas, im looking to sell mine.
The Bigger The Better!

mr.p

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »

I have a lamiglas which retails around 250$, and a cheap clearance Berky rod which i picked up at Hubs for 10$. My personal preference is to use the berky, I find the lamiglas too noodly, and prefer a stiffer rod with a softer tip. If your looking for a lamiglas, im looking to sell mine.

What rod are you selling?
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »

--Depends where you are how popular Lamiglas is.
--They make a ton of specialty rods so I find it difficult to believe that one couldn't find a model that had faster action than a noodle.

--I still use on occasion my 1970's 10ft "S" glass which at the time, just as graphite was coming out, was state of the art in light weight rod.
--Rod companies go up and down however I think Lamiglas is on an upswing.

--Often the popularity of the rods comes from dealer service and availability of the full range of rods.
--Some distributors have their own house brands... good quality.. and the retailer gets better margin and possibly faster replacement warranty service.. and as they do not have to carry all the models as the rods are only a day away.
--Any rods coming over the border can be a pain both for warranty and time to get a rod to the customer. Dealers want full margin so aren't willing to reduce profit for fast delivery.

--As lamiglas has a huge inventory of models it is unlikely that a dealer would carry the full line.
--I like lamis but when I look for a rod I also conscider.. will the dealer support bringing in specialty rods at a reasonable price..
--If the dealer doesn't have the models to demo.. they won't sell rods. I'm not going to commit to buy, especially a high priced rod without giving it a try first.
--If I know the model I want it is currently cheaper to buy in USA.

--I am certain that if a shop had a decent supply of models at a reasonable price they would sell here. 

--a couple of years now but they have a kokanee specialty rod that is all the rave south of the boarder
--as they are a manufacturer they also have blanks available for custom builders.
--Canadian dollar, I think has more to do with availability at reasonable price than the product.

--Could be they just have to much selection for any dealer here to carry all that is available for our market and the fluctuating dollar just scares the heck out of anyone who carries a lot of stock..

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:12:24 AM by skaha »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »

I have a number of lamies and they are great rods.  Sounds like BF just got a blank that didnt suit his fishing style or rod action preference. 

Warranty has been an issue in the past (so I was told) but I think about 2 years back they moved the warratny servicing north of the boarder to one of the lower mainlands larger tackle distributors so the efficiency issues they had with warranties has improved. 

Otherwise I would rate my lami pretty much as highly as my sages in terms of performance etc so I would highly recommend them.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »

I have nothing bad to say about the lamiglas, as I have hardly even used them. I will check the model of the rod for you later tonight. As for warrenty i picked up an old lamiglas at a garage sale for 25 bucks, It was a 10-20 year old rod. It broke not long after buying it, and when I took it into freds tackle they told me that model has a life time warrenty. So i paid a 25 dollar shipping fee, and got a brand spanking new 250$ lamiglass. kind of lucky how it worked out.
The Bigger The Better!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »

I've owned 3 Lamiglas "Big Fish" rods which I use for Sturgeon. One of them was taking into the river by a fish, the second one I snapped in half on a snag, and the third came as a warranty replacement for the second which is still slaying the big boys. I love the rods, but sturgeon fishing doesn't involve a lot of casting.

They make some very nice drift rods, but I have yet to own one.

norm_2

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

BigFisher please email me.  Thanks.