Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mono Running Line  (Read 2176 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Mono Running Line
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »

Anyone like using mono or braid running lines? Trying to decide on if I should try it out. Heard they coil, tangle and are tough to manage but get great distance. Or should I just chop off the head of one of my normal lines and get a welded loop?

Thanks

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Mono Running Line
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

Mono isn't bad, give it a shot, its cheap.  Comes in two flavours; normal mono with a round cross-section and flat mono with a more oval cross-section.  I occasionally use 50lbs Slickshooter (Rio's flat mono) on my bigger rods and I like 40lbs Berkley Big Game (high vis green so you don't step on it) for lighter rods.  Mono doesn't come with loops on either end but a perfection loop ties small enough that it passes through the guides easily.  When tying the perfection loop, you wan the Slickshooter to lie flat otherwise the knot will be bulky.  Mono is coily the first few casts of the day, then it settles down.  Distance is great with mono and it fishes nice, but I slightly prefer coated running line (i.e. regular fly line material) as its nicer to handle on cold days when hands are cold.

joshhowat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »

Slick shooter will give you more distance. Learn to love it.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:31:48 AM »

had the same questions myself when i started with two handed rods. I'd agree with Matt that when it is cold, it is nicer to have something more easier to handle. I recently put on the Rio Slickshooter and really enjoy it. I find it casts much more nicely and becomes quite supple and straightens out after a bit of casting. Plus, its only $10 which makes it easily replaceable if any knots or damages occur etc. Whereas my Airflo ridgeline running line is around $50 which has already cracked due to snags and such and isn't as easy to replace.