Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selective fishing  (Read 3861 times)

nosey

Selective fishing
« on: September 05, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »

There are about 15 people bbing at snaggy bar today first day of selective fishing opening. Seeing as DFO are monitoring the river with the power to shut it down if too many people are bbing. does it perhaps fall on the guiding industry to run a boat down there and inform these people that they are perhaps ruining the fishery for many people and costing the guides a lot of income that could be made by guiding bar fishermen?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Selective fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »

I'd say no though arguably it could in their self interest. I don't think DFO will get concerned about the betty flossers given the river temperature is now reasonable and # of anglers has likely dropped. This happens every year. However if DFO gets reports (photos, videos) of anglers keeping sockeye and particularly coho they may get concerned very quickly.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 12:56:36 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Shinny

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:06:27 PM »

I’d say at least half of the people that are still B.B. couldn’t identity a spring from a sockeye or coho.  People Might go out there with the intentions of only keeping a spring but if you can’t identify what’s on your hook before pulling it up the beach then ignorance is bliss.

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »

I won't be at snaggy bar, however I will be selectively bar fishing a popular BBing bar this afternoon.
I am sure it will clear those not selectively fishing rather quickly.  ;D  If not, there will at minimum be a conversation about selective methods for springs when sockeye are closed.
Having bar fished this location for some 20 years, I will not feel one bit sorry throwing a bar rig amungst those who neglect to abide by DFO's request.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »

The DFO web page for salmon regs specifically states (as of 5-Sept) ‘no fishing for sockeye’ and ‘no fishing for coho’. There is no mention of using ‘selective’ methods on that page, but if species A is open, but species B is closed, then that should imply you should not be fishing in a way that targets a closed species. If a BB’er keeps getting sockeyes while hoping for a spring or chum, does or should that open them up to getting ticketed? Can someone flossing and hooking sockeye legitimately argue that they were not fishing for sockeye.

poper

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »

There’s no law saying no bbing, until there is it will continue. It’s like ground hogs day on here. Lol, they should make it a stationary rule, your method of fishing has to be on the the bottom not moving, no fly fishing or spoons. Lol
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:22:13 PM by poper »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »

There’s no law saying no bbing, until there is it will continue. It’s like ground hogs day on here. Lol, they should make it a stationary rule, your method of fishing has to be on the the bottom not moving, no fly fishing or spoons. Lol

Nice to have the luxury of being part of the problem. Fish will bite if you give them the chance. A fish that has betties bounced off its head will not bite.

dobrolub

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »

Drift fishing is a legit technique. Just use short leader.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:11:25 AM by dobrolub »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »

what do you drift in Fraser river?

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

I got pretty confused when a friend said the same thing. He said there were two types of bottom-bouncing, with the only difference being the length of the leader:
1) The good type is called drift fishing, done with leaders 3 to 6 feet long, for all salmon except sockeye;
2) The bad type is called flossing, done with leaders 12 feet long, for sockeye only.

Is it true?

BBarley

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »

Used to "drift fish" in the Bulkley/Skeena quite frequently when I didn't feel like plunking myself in a chair and watching my rod. 3 foot leader from a slinky weight to a spin n' glo/beads/hook. Guys actually did it all the time below Moricetown rapids at Idiot Rock with the same setup only using more weight. Nature of the game is to have your presentation directly downstream of your weight and just above the fishes eye level. There is a possibility for flossing but the bulky spin n' glo and slow progression downstream makes it extremely unlikely.

poper

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »

Nice to have the luxury of being part of the problem. Fish will bite if you give them the chance. A fish that has betties bounced off its head will not bite.
How do I have the luxury of being part of this problem?Please fill me in on your reply.Im not sure what you mean.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »

These conversations should be put to rest...for good...four years from now will be a tragedy...

...go get your spoons now

Walleye76

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »

The DFO closure notice states, and I quote.

"Effective September 5 - September 28, 2018:

- You may not fish for Sockeye salmon
- You may not fish for Coho salmon
- You may not use bait while fishing for salmon

You may  SELECTIVELY fish for the following species:

-Chinook salmon, the daily limit is four (4) with only one (1) over 62cm
-Chum salmon, the daily limit is four (4) per day"