Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fraser River Today, Sockeye Activity  (Read 11136 times)

Drewhill

Re: The Fraser River Today, Sockeye Activity
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

I'm surprised how "short" his leader is.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »

Trust the wise guy to pull trump, not just gill nets but gill nets filled with precious dead chinook! In a couple of months it will switch to steelhead. The worst of the worst!

I guess we all have to go home and cry now. LOL
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »

Surprises me the old guy didn't say anything about being filmed and now it's posted on the Internet for all to see and pass judgement. Want something to bitch about? How about filming all the chinooks getting tossed back into the river after drowning in a gill net.
Nah, they just bonk them and hand them to the eager sport fishers. 

lapa

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 12:49:27 PM »

What I personally don't like is the day we're in where someone can walk up behind you and start videoing your business and then post it online for others to see and pick apart for the good or on a chance like this example where the guy doesn't do everything perfectly but is now subject to humiliation (depending on how thick his skin is) from family, friends and acquaintances.

X2

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »

Nah, they just bonk them and hand them to the eager sport fishers.

I read that and not making any accusations because I wasn't there, I'm not certain of the Regulation with this situation and I wouldn't want to challenge my interpretation against the law.

Maybe I'm wrong but I understood that to be illegal for a Rec fisherman to take a fish home with them that was net caught despite being gifted by FN. It's not written that way but that was/is my understanding. And then would one still report this Chinook as caught on his license? And if he's identifying it on his license he's saying he caught it - but since it was net caught it's illegal. If the Rec fisher says to a CO that he caught it, he's providing a false statement and that's a problem. A CO isn't stupid, he's going to look at a Chinook and spot if there is a hook wound in the mouth. No hook wound and net marks on a fish could really put you in a pickle if asked for an explanation by a CO. I would like to hear some of the creative responses.

If you don't have fishing gear with you and it's a gift from FN and nothing is exchange in return other than a "thank you" then I understand it to be acceptable. That's just how I interpret the situation and I'm open to be wrong with my understanding of this type of situation.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 08:18:40 PM »

I read that and not making any accusations because I wasn't there, I'm not certain of the Regulation with this situation and I wouldn't want to challenge my interpretation against the law.

Maybe I'm wrong but I understood that to be illegal for a Rec fisherman to take a fish home with them that was net caught despite being gifted by FN. It's not written that way but that was/is my understanding. And then would one still report this Chinook as caught on his license? And if he's identifying it on his license he's saying he caught it - but since it was net caught it's illegal. If the Rec fisher says to a CO that he caught it, he's providing a false statement and that's a problem. A CO isn't stupid, he's going to look at a Chinook and spot if there is a hook wound in the mouth. No hook wound and net marks on a fish could really put you in a pickle if asked for an explanation by a CO. I would like to hear some of the creative responses.

If you don't have fishing gear with you and it's a gift from FN and nothing is exchange in return other than a "thank you" then I understand it to be acceptable. That's just how I interpret the situation and I'm open to be wrong with my understanding of this type of situation.
The problem with this particular situation this year is that the FN are under regulations which direct them to releases alive all non-sockeye, at least for the economic opportunity openings.  Giving dead springs to sport fishers is clearly not doing that.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »

Been around the block a few times so do not get surprised too often. ( seen it before so not surprised kinda idea ) Well this old fart (me) was surprised yesterday. Was at the McDonald Beach Boat Launch yesterday and to my SURPRISE there were aprox. 40 SUVs / pickup trucks / vans with boat trailers parked !!! On a Tuesday afternoon.  Well yes it was a sunny day & forecast showers today & the fish are biting. Normally in the summer during the week days ya may see 5-10-15 max during the week mid day but 40 or so !!! Fish fever.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »

The problem with this particular situation this year is that the FN are under regulations which direct them to releases alive all non-sockeye, at least for the economic opportunity openings.  Giving dead springs to sport fishers is clearly not doing that.

I would expect the commercials also have that by-catch release "dead or alive" mandate. Damn sockeye nets catch everything. I'm guessing they expect some by-catch loss but every one that is released live has the potential to survive and I guess that's better than nothing.

With the Whites entering the system, the Chinook numbers will be going up. Oh well, this sh-crap show will soon come to an end.

Did any Cultas Sockeye get through or has that been given up on?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 10:10:58 PM »

I would expect the commercials also have that by-catch release "dead or alive" mandate. Damn sockeye nets catch everything. I'm guessing they expect some by-catch loss but every one that is released live has the potential to survive and I guess that's better than nothing.

With the Whites entering the system, the Chinook numbers will be going up. Oh well, this sh-crap show will soon come to an end.

Did any Cultas Sockeye get through or has that been given up on?

I can tell you that the people I know who drift netted around Harrison caught 86 Chinook in 3 days. They're supposed to release. Did they ? Nope. Not a single nook

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

I can tell you that the people I know who drift netted around Harrison caught 86 Chinook in 3 days. They're supposed to release. Did they ? Nope. Not a single nook

Don't worry - we can't do a damn thing about this type of activity from this net user group. This is what they do and this is what they will continue to do despite white man's regulations. This group will self regulate and take what they deem appropriate for their existence. We can complain and point fingers all we want but this will not change anything as I believe/speculate there is an unwritten policy of "hands-off" regulation enforcement for this user group. I mean really - who is going to get charged? Who would go to court to defend? I don't think the individual FN fishermen carry ID's with them when they go fishing so I really think a CO's options with such activities are very limited to immediate, on-the-spot fish and net seizures and any on-board possible firearms related issues.

I think any complaints are heard and possibly recorded but only immediately investigated if there is immediate threat to human safety or  if the CO's are in the immediate area. Seriously though, there is only so many CO's actively patrolling the waters, there is only so much they can cover and expected to humanly do. If they had to investigate every call, there is no way that a CO team could even do that as all they would be doing is running their equipment back and forth burning fuel just to get to a site where the activity has long since been over. I'm not saying it's pointless to report but expectations have to be realistic because you can imagine the call center activity during this time of year and the poorly staffed dispatch center trying to evaluate validity, threat risk and priority to dispatch resources to such calls. Not to mention the logistical timing of a CO getting to that spot. From the CO's perspective it must be frustrating that they can only do so much with the resources they have but they must feel someone satisfied with how much they individually have done every day they are out there in the field or on the water. I'm made a point of thanking them for being out there at every personal opportunity I have with encounters with CO. I wish I could physically do what they do and that profession was actually a dream of mine which has long expired.

Again - this is just my opinion and speculation and can not make claim that this is actual fact. This is just how it looks to me.

And please, take the opportunity to thank your CO for their service every chance you get. These fine women and men are humans providing a service which puts their lives at risk every day they put on that uniform and as humans we all need acknowledgement and a verbal thank you of appreciation.

ByteMe

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »

X2

x3
and someone asked in a different thread whether sport fishing was dying?............You bet!!!, who wants to get filmed newbie or seasoned angler having his skills or lack of, dissected on the internet.....someone will find some fault, be it overplaying a fish, wrong rod angle, terrible release and so on and on, does anyone really need the humiliation
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

avid angler

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »

Pretty funny when the person filming has videos on their YouTube account of wild coho being netted in a knotted non c/r net. Guess nobody is perfect ::)

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »

Calling out the person who posted that video for publicly humiliating someone on the internet ? We all know who posted that video so aren't you guys publicly humiliating that person on the internet ?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

Calling out the person who posted that video for publicly humiliating someone on the internet ? We all know who posted that video so aren't you guys publicly humiliating that person on the internet ?

It is whatever you perceive it to be.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »

Thats OK at least when I make posts here it is under my real name as I have since I joined this forum in 2002, one of the few that do. Of course those that use a made up handle it is easy to say what they want, I am OK with that but just want to make that point.

I know way back when Rodney was threaten for some reasons I could never understand and there was even signs along the Vedder that were not very complimentary.

This, to a person who has done so much for angling for the last 16 plus years. I guess it goes with being on  social media and out front under ones real name.

I know on the Fish Farm issue a number of us can get very heated on this subject but all are very respectful to each other.

I could post more but will not as it will most likely not change some people opinion on this topic. Besides it is my 75th birthday and I feel good today that I have reached this age, the rest of my time on this earth is a bonus and I will continue to fight and do what I believe is right for our environment and our precious fish stocks.