Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2009's Lower Mainland lake rainbow trout fishery - Feedbacks & ideas  (Read 13865 times)

gcal

Adding a few more "special" stock into the lakes would be a good idea.

I once caught a kokanee at Lake Lafarge.  That was a surprise and a nice treat from all the rainbows. 

I also know that broodstock had been stocked into some lakes in the past.    I haven't caught one of those but I have seen pictures from a fellow that caught a few last year.

Regarding size, I return all the small ones back, but I'm not sure they all survive because they swallow the hook deeply.  I'm experimenting with using large hooks and larger amounts of bait.   May have to go the spin casting route.

Regarding fun, yes it's always more fun to catch something, rather than nothing.   But a bit more "fight" would be nice.   Maybe a different stock breed?   The kokanee that I caught put up a very nice fight!  :)     I'll need to also look into getting an ultralight setup - but in the summer, I find that I need to cast very far to get into the deeper water.   I'm not sure if an UL setup will do.   Maybe a very light mainline and longer rod.

ion

Hi!
In my opinion, the first concern should be attitude regarding environment and enforcing the fishing regulations. Kids are walking around, and they can get the wrong idea.

The number of fish you can keep doesn't matter because anyway they are stocked. A lower number in quota would be respected only by the regular fisherman, and make the lake more appealing for "the bucket brigade".

My opinion is to stock the lake with bigger sizes trout, more often, and in smaller quantities.

Would be great to empty the lake, clean it, lay it with a proper bottom (increase shore length, accessibility, depth, soil, structures etc), but sounds more like a dream...But this way you can effectively triple the potential of a fishing lake...

Is there such job like "lake designer"?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

The quality of your experience: Did you enjoy it? How do you measure that enjoyment (quantity of fish, size of fish, convenience/ability to do it often, etc)?

Great to be able to catch some fish close by. It's not the keeping I like, just plain old fishing for the heck of it.

The stocking database: What is your preference? Having the information available instantly, or rather see the database updated on a weekly basis so there is a delay (by a few days) between the stockings and publishing.

I like the stocking report before they stock the lake.

How often did you participate in these fisheries in 2009? How long is the average duration of your trips? Why do you participate in these fisheries (as opposed to salmon, sturgeon, etc)?

I probably fished Green Timbers , Lafarge and Sasamat about 50 times this year combined.

What else would you like to see being done in these fisheries so they would accommodate both new and experienced anglers more? eg. Perhaps an angling ambassador program, which involves volunteers to advise new anglers who are not as familiar with the do's and don'ts? Perhaps a prize or two for anglers?

Time for them to build a walkway/fishing platform on Green Timbers (maybe a BBQ pit/dry bar as well ;D) Also allow fishing and stock Surrey Lake as well. Seems a waste of a man made lake. Bring in the one fish limit for GT and Lafarge. Have a kick a$$ ambassador who can write tickets and give fishing lessons as well as pour a mean martini.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Easywater

• Old Timer

One thing I found about fishing Green Timbers is that, unless you are fly fishing, catch & release is not a good option.

When using Powerbait, the fish tend to swallow the hook deep and it is difficult to remove the hook without exhausting the fish (or killing it).

I am thinking that once the limit is reached, no more fishing should be allowed.

skaha

• Old Timer

--I know this is for lower mainland but just to ad.. I fished skamana near chase. I think it was poisoned then restocked with catchables.
--after fishing two solid days on the thompson with no luck was getting at little hungry so at the end of the day we headed for skamana for a couple of hours.
--It was a ton of fun...caught several on the fly and kept one to eat that night.
--Surprising maybe, was most people only kept one or none. All seemed to be having a good time catching numerous fair sized fish. Lots had brought beginner fly fishers out to try their luck as I observed many boats with combo of beginner and expert.

--I think it is important to have these fishery areas for both beginners and those who want to take one home to eat on occasion.
--Contrary to others observations, I did not see any violations and as I said people almost embarrassed to take home more than one meal even though it would have been legal.

Dave

• Old Timer

I don't use these fisheries but an earlier reply suggesting stocking different species like kokanee made sense to me; also perhaps some Eastern Brook Trout.   Not knowing what you have hooked right away would add to the experience I would think.  Bederko or others could perhaps chime in here as to the costs of raising these species to catchable sizes.    Also totally agree with educational signage at these lakes.

fishseeker

• Old Timer

I love this service but I am just wondering if it would be a good idea to reserve some areas of these lakes for kids.

I have taken my nephew out to Lafarge and Como lake a few times now and the problem I come up against is the need for a long cast if you are not on a dock or in a boat.  If we are fishing with a float it is just too difficult for a seven year old to handle on his own if it is too far out.

In the end I prefer to take him to the Fraser river for pike minnow fishing because the bites are plentiful and there are spots where we only need to put the line a rods length away.   [Now that he is older I will be taking him to lafarge and Como more next year].

It may be an idea to reserve docks for people with disabilities or people taking their kids fishing.

..just my 2c. [...and yes, I think some of these lakes do get cleaned out of fish too quickly].

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:13:46 PM by fishseeker »

Matt

• Old Timer

I rarely fish LML lakes anymore because the trout are too small, and don't usually spend long enough in the lake to learn to feed on anything but pellets/ Powerbait.  I think they should lower the limit to 1 or 2 fish.  Its probably unhealthy eating lots of those trout anyways with their digestive tract stained psychedelic Powerbait colours.

HOOK

• Old Timer

If you think the stocked fish dont feed on bugs in the lake then explain why i can catch tons on chironies, leeches, mayflies and other flies i have used over the years. I know they are small but they can be very fussy eaters also (just like interior fish) and they will help you get your reflexes up for interior trips  ;D ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bluenoser

Great experience

I took my 9yr old to Green Timbers three times...Larfarge and Browning lakes once each.

She liked Browning lake the best for the surroundings and I liked GreenTimbers for it's close location and easy access.

On a couple of the trips to Green Timbers the fishing only lasted 30 minutes and then she spent an hour playing with other kids her age that were there with their fathers.

Usually we ended up bring a couple home the first three trips and released them all on the last trips...a couple times she decided to keep a couple and she gave them to neighbours as gifts.

Not only did she get to fish and meet other kids on every trip we either saw the Bald Eagles or Osprey snatch a couple fish from the lake almost every visit, pretty cool to see no matter what age you are.

I was only at Lafarge once but found the Park where it is located was super busy and cringed several times when I saw guys back casting across the paved walkways while people were on them seemingly oblivious. Green Timbers had it's fair share of fly fisherman but the number of pedestrians seemed to be lower and they both seemed to be well aware of each other. We were not affected by this but it would be nice if there was a way to allow fly fisherman and park users to have fun and be safe.

Could the trails be diverted away from casting distance at various locations?

Anyway Rod...in general its fantastic to be able to live in the city and still share something you did as a kid with your kid...and if I didn't have a kid I would probably still go occasionally to fill that fishing void I feel at various times of the year.

Easywater

• Old Timer

Yes, fly casting can be a problem at Green Timbers.

Everyone has to be aware of people on the paths but sometimes bikes riders come up too quick - I've seen some close calls.

Also I've seen more than a few flies caught on the benches.

Moving the paths away would be a good idea.

kaolinite

Aoulette lake needs to be stocked heavily with some big fish. It could be a amazing fishery.
I would like to see more work done to help save some local streams and creeks.

Bavarian Raven

how about stocking cypress lake on eagle ridge. i know it was stocked years ago (in the early90s) but i think it was winterkilled a while back. even if its a small stocking, it would make hiking and camping up there more fun 8)

Sea Nymph

I would like to see Como lake stocked with more fish now that it's open to all ages. I find it's just fished out to fast and the kids don't have a lot of time before the freezer fillers get all the fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Aoulette lake needs to be stocked heavily with some big fish. It could be a amazing fishery.
I would like to see more work done to help save some local streams and creeks.

Not really. The bottom is rock and has really no feed at all. Thats why the kokanee only get to be 12 inches. I agree with the local streams and creeks. It would be nice if some more cutthroat stocking was done. The problem is money and accessibility. I dont think they can justify spending all this money on stocking cutthroat in streams if only a handful of people are going to use it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family