Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Significant proposed closure in Southern Georgia Straight  (Read 6521 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Significant proposed closure in Southern Georgia Straight
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »

Then let's make sure more smolts are making it out to the pacific by controlling the seal population in the Georgia strait. When we're dealing with rivers and tributaries that use to hold thousands of fish and now have a couple hundred every fish counts.

Yes I understand this isn't going to bring them all back but everything has an impact.

Forgive me for pitting it this way but starting with the assumption that  "controlling the seal population in the Georgia strait" will help SRKW and bring fish back is moving forward bum first.

Do we know what control methods may be effective? What the cost is? To what level the seal population had to be reduced? What the political and social costs may be? What unforseen effects there may be from reducing seal number since seals eat other fish that compete with or feed on salmon?

The answer to all these questions and many more is no. Seals are being scape goated by people who have no clue all the questions these very few leave unanswered. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BCLAX

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »

At least we would be moving forward.

We don't have the answers yet. Those questions need to be asked IMO.

Reopen the seal harvest. Manage it so that its sustainable.

I'm aware, as are many others, that this isn't the only issue facing chinooks. Then again maybe I have no clue.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »

there is no evidence the seal bounty had any influence on salmon abundance. Salmon abundance generally declined during the 70 or so years of the bounty. The bounty system was not a 'harvest'. It was license for anyone on the water with a rifle to shoot seals indiscriminately. The carcasses were left where they were shot.

If you look at Atlantic Canada - a seal cull proved politically, economically and environmentally unfeasible  over 30+ years of depressed cod stocks. Yet there is solid evidence cod stocks are finally recovering, without a cull.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »

because it seems RalphH is the only one that remembers recent history, If the ENGO groups were out to get First Nations for killing seals, what do u think will happen if the white man tries to do it? 

https://www.straight.com/article-156573/native-seal-kills-fraser-raise-questions

spoiler

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »

I remember talking to first nations fishermen at the Barrowtown boat launch as a kid when I would see them putting a 30/30 in boat before they left.
I asked them what it was for and they said seal control and anyone else that gets too close to our nets!
they told me that once the seals would get a belly full of salmon they would get picky and just take a bite out of every fishes belly to find the females and eat the roe!
They could destroy a lot of fish in short order.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »

because it seems RalphH is the only one that remembers recent history, If the ENGO groups were out to get First Nations for killing seals, what do u think will happen if the white man tries to do it?

How white are we talking?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »

How white are we talking?

The ones not considered in the reconciliation process...Lots of shades of white

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:18 AM »

I remember talking to first nations fishermen at the Barrowtown boat launch as a kid when I would see them putting a 30/30 in boat before they left.
I asked them what it was for and they said seal control and anyone else that gets too close to our nets!
they told me that once the seals would get a belly full of salmon they would get picky and just take a bite out of every fishes belly to find the females and eat the roe!
They could destroy a lot of fish in short order.

this is very common behaviour among predators when prey is abundant. If you think about it people are the same.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »

Bang on RalphH,

I have seen it with Black Bears many times