Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Recreational Sockeye Information  (Read 21576 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Fraser River Recreational Sockeye Information
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2005, 09:18:21 PM »

oh well I guess it sounds like put the fraser gear away and start slowly checking the veddar gear. The pinks will be in in a couple of weeks(hopefully) and the coho soon after.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

allwaysfishin

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2005, 09:41:02 PM »

are any FN fisheries being curtailed or is it business as usual for the cheam.
maybe it's time to excercise my aboriginal right to food fish, but different from the cheam, i'd be happy with 10 sox in the freezer rather than the thousands the 300 cheam members will be getting.... er sorry.... taking.
that statement is meant rhetorically and no, i'm not about to poach me up 10 sockeye although I do have a constitutional right to food fish I'm not "special" like the cheam.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:45:33 PM by allwaysfishin »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2005, 09:56:39 PM »

So i thought this was rather interesting after I read it in the email tonight, from Bill Otway:

I checked with the test fish data for yesterday and see that in Area 12 it is holding at 1,000 per day, well above where it has been for at least 3 days now. We need to understand that this represents in the order of 200,000 fish per day through that area.  Also I was pleased to see a very big catch of Pink in that test fishery as well, in excess of 5000 fish.

We also need to understand that a good part of our problem may very well, and in my view does, stem from the fact that DFO has been overloading the spawning grounds for several years now, including the brood year for this run. This has meant very small smolts and of course this means they are less able to cope, reach a smaller size and less of them than normal survive.

DFO managers and particularly the scientists would not accept nor will they accept the truth of Cyclic Dominance which means that one year in 4 is a large run and each other year is a lesser number. This allows the food source in the nursery lakes to rebuild to support the large run when it comes. When you overload the grounds you overload the nursery and get very poor survival.

DFO is still trying to sell that fact that they need an escapement of 3 million for the Summer Runs and that is hogwash. Look at the historic escapement and the historic returns and an escapement of 1 million or 1.5 million would more than suffice.

We need to be on top of this as their experiments are not only failing but costing the public and the industry millions of dollars and doing nothing for the fish.

Bill Otway

FN openings info for this week has been posted here.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2005, 10:33:04 PM »

Something is up with the dfo counting system this year because I see soxs being caught left and right when last year it was hard to touch one. There in there in good numbers now, no doubt about it and the one's i've hooked seem to be in excellent condition.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2005, 01:28:23 AM »

Just a reminder that during the sockeye closure, anglers are requested by DFO to employ selective fishing methods to avoid or reduce sockeye by-catches. Continuing catch and release sockeye salmon would only further damage the sockeye salmon that we try to protect.

Just in case there is an opening during the rest of this season, here's a document regarding Fraser River sockeye radio-tagging study 2005 information.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2005, 02:34:52 PM »

thanx rod for the info .oh and a great letter chris i will be writing mine and sending it along also. we need all to write letters so something can be done. ;D

pinkwool

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2005, 04:29:02 PM »

It looks to me that all these test fisheries catches are way more than all the rec fishers would pull off the river in 2 weeks openning. Should we do some math here? ::)