Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RIP Agramarine  (Read 2209 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: RIP Agramarine
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »

Some sort of smart assed article from open pen protagonists. Real lousy one at that. Keep up the chuckle quota though, like seeing what the open pen fish farmers bash other fish farming methods. Although it's only one side doing though doing the attacking while the others are trying to do things better. That says lots about them. :) ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dnibbles

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:32 PM »

Some sort of smart assed article from open pen protagonists. Real lousy one at that. Keep up the chuckle quota though, like seeing what the open pen fish farmers bash other fish farming methods. Although it's only one side doing though doing the attacking while the others are trying to do things better. That says lots about them. :) ::)

Didn't think I would be saying this a few weeks back , but I'm gonna agree with Troubreath on this one. Up until now I've found the salmon farm science guys pretty good, but this article is a piss off. Any of us with two brain cells are aware that closed containment is going to be a stretch economically, but to revel and get such glee from the failure of this farm (as the bloggers clearly do) is a little hokey. Open net has some risk. Closed containment has less (but still some) risk. But it's a lot more costly. Anyone that os a true "fish person" would prefer to see the lowest risk option used, while understanding that the economic factors have to come into play at some point.

They failed. It didn't work. I wish them better luck next time, and hope they can figure out the right way to do this and still turn a profit that will make it attractive for investors. They're not there yet.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »

Though the photo was unnecessary, I can't say that I see the article as reveling or expressing glee about the possible failure of the company. It appears to be chiding those who insisted that this promoter had the solution to closed containment that farms refused to acknowledge was possible.

There has been a trail of information on the company available starting with the financial and operating results of the initial trial operations at the tank facility in Cedar and carried forward by the promotional publicity releases and the financial statements of the company. Anyone who knows the principals involved, understands the requirements of closed containment and has followed that trail of information knows that  bankruptcy is the inevitable end, if not right now than sometime in the not too distant future. Stock market promotion and scientific development are very uncomfortable bedfellows.

That information details how well over $20 million in grant money and shareholder investment was consumed just getting one tank set up and operating to initiate the first, incomplete trial production cycle at the Middle Bay facility. That should have been accomplished on less than a quarter of that investment. It has been apparent to anyone who understands closed containment technology that the advancement of that technology has not been the first priority of the company; that these people were just repeating previous failed experiments with minor variations, eg. hard wall tanks instead of soft wall and selling the repetition as a bold new frontier.

An outfit like Silver Springs in Washington that actually focuses on raising fish deserves far more credit as actually doing something to advance the technology. Agrimarine has focused on raising money and it's scattergun business plan hasn't accomplished anything useful. Like the tank farm in Cedar, there is no doubt it's operations will eventually fail when the money runs out leaving behind a string of unpaid debt and a number of investors left poorer for it's existence.

Dogbreath

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »

Nice to see Salmon farmers of all stripes tearing @ each other's guts-may they all rot in the hottest corners of hell.