Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally Getting Serious about Fish Farm Dangers  (Read 4540 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Finally Getting Serious about Fish Farm Dangers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

Dr. Kristina Miller is the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) scientist that the DFO muzzled for the Cohen Commission. She is an expert if not the expert on the question of disease, its origins, and its impact on wild salmon. Well, you might ask why such an expert would not be encouraged by our paid employees in the DFO? Who wouldn't want all available evidence available for Commissioner Cohen?

Rafe is incorrect.  Dr. Miller was not muzzled for the Cohen Commission.  It was a Privy Council directive (not DFO) that banned Dr. Miller from discussing her findings with the media and conferences before the inquiry - not during the inquiry.  The testimony does not support Rafe's contention (see below).  Miller provided all available evidence during the inquiry as she was questioned by commission, government, conservation, First Nation and industry lawyers.  In October 2012, this evidence from Dr. Miller was discussed in Justice Cohen's Final Report.  Funny thing is that if you see the Salmon Confidential film you won't see all of Dr. Miller's evidence - only just short, edited sections.  Maybe before Rafe bashes other media outlets for their lack of non-coverage he should look into how fish farm activists have done their own bit of non-coverage.

http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/Schedule/Transcripts/CohenCommission-HearingTranscript-2011-08-24.pdf#zoom=100

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:56 AM »

Rafe is incorrect. 

May I suggest you contact Rafe directly??  http://rafeonline.com/contact-rafe/

I'm sure if you say "please", he will publish a retraction and restate it just as you suggest.....  ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

StillAqua

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »

May I suggest you contact Rafe directly??  http://rafeonline.com/contact-rafe/

I'm sure if you say "please", he will publish a retraction and restate it just as you suggest.....  ;D  ;D

He has retracted before but it usually takes a libel law suit. Sticking strictly to the facts was never his strong suit.http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1202838559/s-all/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »

He has retracted before but it usually takes a libel law suit. Sticking strictly to the facts was never his strong suit.http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1202838559/s-all/

I suggest that in spite of the observations made by an "expert", there is more truth than fiction in what Rafe writes....  It doesn't take a lot of courage to go on a forum like this and say that Rafe is "incorrect".
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dnibbles

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »

I suggest that in spite of the observations made by an "expert", there is more truth than fiction in what Rafe writes....  It doesn't take a lot of courage to go on a forum like this and say that Rafe is "incorrect".

I would hope that there would not be any fiction in what he writes.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »

LOL :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

Maybe been reading some posts on this forum. ;D ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

You make up for the remaining fiction Rafe forgets to mention.  You don't have to be an "expert" in this regard - you just have to be willing to read what was made public.

Maybe guys like you and Rafe can find the courage to post some facts.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »

Lassie had courage. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »

It appears Rafe is in the business of making the news rather than reporting the news. Western media these days.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »

http://alexgtsakumis.com/

He does not do a lot on fish farms though. Most of the media is pretty one sided.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?