Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave dam  (Read 3721 times)

Slippery When Wet

• One Wild Night
stave dam
« on: June 25, 2004, 10:55:24 PM »

I'm thinking of trying the stave on the weekend. I don't have access to a boat so only shore fishing for me. :'( question: If the dam lets out water, where else is there to fish by shore? and is there any warning as to when the dam will open? thanks and good fishing to all :)
"It's My Life, And It's Now Or Never. Cause I Ain't Gonna Live Forever, I Just Wanna Live While I'm Alive" lyrics by BON JOVI.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
Re:stave dam
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 11:15:10 PM »

The Stave is not the same as the Cap which has narrow canyons that really react sudden changes in water release. You cna generally be pretty safe on the stave but you need to be aware of what is happening around you.

There are two main reasons for "excess" water at a power plant.  Either the plant kicks up the generation which means more water through the turbines or there has been a huge rainstorm and the resrervoir is full and they need to spill.  AS teh rain has been sparse allyear the satve reservoir is unlikely to spill.  So if there is a sudden change in water it is most likely because of an increase in power demand.  You can usually predict when the demand will go up by a couple of factors.    Most of the smaller plants in the lower mainland are used for load factor correction as the bulk of the power is delivered from the north.  At  Meal times and early evening when the lights come on.  This causes a spike in the load and the lower mainland plants come on to compensate.  You really notice it if there has been a long stretch of hot weather and evryone is running the A/C or fans so this usually happens at night.  The problem is that if there is a disturbance in the system thsi can also kick the plants into operation.  So you need to keep your wits about you.  Now ALL plants are supposed to have a horn they sound when they increase the flow in a river.  So if you hear that you should be aware of where you are on the river and know your escape route.   Hope this helps.
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 10:55:57 PM »

hey fulcrum-29, I was there last sunday also. You get any fish?

otto

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 11:03:56 PM »

i got caught in the Cap canyon last year........NO HORN sounded, the water just rose very rapidly. thanks for the sprained ankle and bruises. next time try sounding the horn....... >:( >:(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 11:13:10 PM »

There is NO warning system in the Capilano. Always be aware of your surroundings !

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 06:55:57 AM »

driving over the Stave last night at almost dusk I was amazed by all the rises I saw in the calm water on both sides, it was amazing.