Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tackle store : more expensive but more service. Really???  (Read 3755 times)

lapetitebuse

tackle store : more expensive but more service. Really???
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »

When I was looking in buying a salmon set 4 month ago, lot of people adviced me to buy from a small tackle shop. "It's a little bit ore expensive, but the service is better, they give you better advice....bla bla bla"
So I bought my rod + reel in this famous shop on broadway. The guy sells me a shimano 10'6'' and a Banax baitcasting reel. $250 tax included.
Concerning the reel, he went "everyone wants abu garcia Ambassadeur, but for $65 less, you can have this Banax sounion. I sold plenty of them and never have any customer not satisfied with it"
So I got it and am satisfied with it, even if there are some minor flaws that Abu Garcia doesn't have.
4 month later, I realize that I lost a small screw that hold the right plate. The reel is still working perfectly, but some sand get inside by the screw hole. No big deal, I thought, I am just going to ask my dealer, and he's going to explain to me how to clean my reel and the one year warranty will cover the price of the screw.

And then surprise, the shop is closed (I don't need to name it, do I?). A couple of weeks later, it reopens for a blow out sale, with "unbeatable" deals" (+20%!!!).
When I ask the guy who sold me the reel, he just said that the store went bankrupt, and no longer exists, and they are not going to take care of my reel.
the guy didn't even tried to take a look, even if it was there in front of him.
And he couldn't tell me where to go to have it fixed. How come he carries a brand that nobody has never heard of?
DO YOU CALL THAT A GOOD SERVICE? The guy lost his shop and some money, but he could at least try to help out his customer, keep them satisfied. i thought for those guy, fishing was a passion, and client meant something for them, but it turn out that they don't give a f**k just because there is no money at stake.

So I strongly advice anyone who want to buy some fishing gear to go to army navy or other big name, you are going to save some money and you are sure to find someone to talk to, even if you have to line up for it!!!

Does anyone know where I can find someone that carries Banax and that is close to Vancouver Downtow?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: tackle store : more expensive but more service. Really???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:52:30 AM »

That does suck but you can't paint all tackle shops with the same brush!! you happened to buy form the wrong place at the wrong time thats all.. It is too bad that he suggested that brand of reel, you would have been much better off going with the Aby fo sho !!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

small_fish

• Hi!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:57:17 AM »

Yep I got a aby c3 and i love it, its crazy

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »

Are u sure it was the guy that sold it to you working the blowout sale. because as i remember an independant business took over, and the old owner had nothing to with the blowout sale.

Also, for parts for nearly any type of reel call mikes reel repair out of Abbotsford. They will most likely have the part you need. And if you don't feel like making the drive out there talk to any local tackle store that does reel repair. 90% likely that they deal with mike's. It shouldn't be a problem getting the part.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »

I buy all my lure making components on line.  You cannot find top end components like Pen-Tac anywhere else.  I will buy line, hooks and other terminal gear at local tackle shops.  As far as rods and reels go...Unless a local shop will match the price, I'm on-line buying that stuff also.  If I have to worry about a reel or rod breaking and needing service, I won't buy it anywhere. 

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 02:27:30 PM »

sucks about how you were treated but whether ytou bought an abu or banax, you will be visiting Mikes reel repair fairly often

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:28:48 PM »

You're in luck.  I have a banex sounion that I don't use anymore (come to think of it, I only used it a couple of times).  Give me a shout on my email and we can work something out.

dougliu@telus.net

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 05:13:38 PM »

Well you might not but I will...you got hosed by being in the wrong spot at the wrong time..I won't say anything else regarding what happened with those guys...Me personally, I've found shops with good customer service survive and those without don't...I support my one decent fly shop down in B'ham and in turn they have given me good deals, lots of help and introduced me to the 4 corners fly club guys who I will be most likely joining soon...

As for up in B.C. I've been treated very well by M&J's on some high end pieces and payed probably a few dollars more on some others...BUT...If and when I'm not happy they have taken back in trade anything I've asked and gotten me into something that works much better...i.e. able reel over the piece of crap hardy...The guys at Reaction fly on Whatcom road aren't the cheapest either but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a friendlier group of guys and always there for you with tieing suggestions, teaching me some methods I didn't know and giving good advice on where to go....I could save maybe a dollar or two somewhere else but I LIKE those guys and want to help them stay in business....I know there are others on here who work at different shops but I haven't been to them but I'm sure it's the same there too....

It is what it is...but you want to know what REALLY pisses me off???? Were going to lose the damn ryder cup again...that IS something to bust your jimmies..

AWFT

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 05:27:21 PM »

so because the yanks suck at the rider cup you are trashing us? Mike can fix your reel, If was still there I would steal a screw from another reel and you would be on your way...

I actually planned all this so you would be screwed, really I did...the dude you spoke to is not the guy who sold you the reel, the guys who used to work there won't have anything to do with the place now.

Hello? got another problem email me...I'll look after you, shop or not

uliwon@shaw.ca

Sbm

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »

It is what it is...but you want to know what REALLY pisses me off???? Were going to lose the damn ryder cup again...that IS something to bust your jimmies..

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »

so because the yanks suck at the rider cup you are trashing us? Mike can fix your reel, If was still there I would steal a screw from another reel and you would be on your way...

I actually planned all this so you would be screwed, really I did...the dude you spoke to is not the guy who sold you the reel, the guys who used to work there won't have anything to do with the place now.

uliwon@shaw.ca

Sbm

Talk about a stand up guy. Like i said he had nothing to do with how you were treated after you purchased the reel. Service that extends past the existence of the shop.

And golfman, or should i say Xgolfman. YOu are the type of customer every shop loves to have.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »

And golfman, or should i say Xgolfman. YOu are the type of customer every shop loves to have

Thanks IH8XC....I just appreciate good service...So many indifferent ones out there that when I find one I have NO problem supporting them, that's the way it should be I think...

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 06:34:06 PM »

uliwon@shaw.ca

Sbm

Now that is looking after the customer. ;D