Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rapala Classic Big Water CP Rod  (Read 2389 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Rapala Classic Big Water CP Rod
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »

I'm shopping for a backup CP rod and someone recommended the CL30FD116M2 model to me:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65675/rapala-classic-big-water-centre-pin-rod

I'm mainly looking for a backup CP rod for fishing the canyons for coho but the rod should be able to handle the random chums and springs as well. Has anyone used this rod or has any experience using the Rapala CP rods in general? Thanks.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Rapala Classic Big Water CP Rod
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »

Oh man, where to start.

My dad wanted to pick up a backup and bought the 11'6 without asking what I thought. It looks appealing, the cork and handle are pretty good looking. Other than that...

The one I have is a broom stick. Weighs a lot and is hard on your wrist. There is so much weight from the reel up that it really fatigues you after a few hours. Very little handle from the reel down for such a hefty rod, exceptionally tiring. Worst thing is that the guides aren't supported so they bend very very easily. Whenever I take it apart for transportation/storage, the line pulls on the top guide on the bottom half and completely bends it down without a problem. It does have some decent'ish action, but IMO too beefed up for cohos. Used it from chinooks and chum and it was ok action wise. But it was funny seeing my dad bring in coho and have the rod flexed over just barely.
The weight, balance issues and fatigue is where this rod gets you. Not a rod I would recommend, especially for the application.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: Rapala Classic Big Water CP Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »

Thanks BCF for the detailed feedback. I'm glad that I asked before pulling the trigger!  ::)
So, what would you guys recommend as a good backup CP rod in the $200-300 neighbourhood for my intended application? ThX.