Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silver Slump  (Read 1466 times)

riptide

Silver Slump
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »

Noticed on the Vedder water conditions topic a few guys are in big slumps during salmon season. As it was mentioned changing depth can be critical to entice a bite, more than likely if people are hitting fish on either side of you then fish are probably in front of you. Another key factor also mentioned in another thread is confidence in your presentation be it bait or artificials, find something that is at least working for others and mimic it if you do not have your own strategy, myself I generally fish with roe and switch up to a Colorado if nothing is happening or vise versa, when fishing for Coho. Although it can be a hassle to pack 2 rods, if possible I bring my spinning rod with me, coho love a perfectly placed spinner or spoon, many times I have been frustrated with a hole I know contains fish, pull out my favorite spinner and Bamm...fish on. You can easily adapt your bait caster or pin to switch up to a spinner or spoon setup during you fishing outing, I just prefer the ease of grabbing another rod and letting er fly. I hope others chime in to help, the best advice I can give is do not take your eyes off your float and make sure you have no slack line from your rod to your float. This is critical for success, forget about everyone around you get in the zone with your float, coho hits can be very subtle, any small movement set your hook. Notice I said set and not rip, big difference. Good luck out there when it all comes together its a beautiful thing.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that