Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive Cuts To Chinook Egg Takes???  (Read 2187 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Massive Cuts To Chinook Egg Takes???
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

I have recently heard rumours (from a usually well informed source) That the Department of Fisheries & Oceans is currently in the process of ordering major reductions in the egg take targets for the Southern Region. Numbers that were passed on were: Quinsam - reduction of 1 million from last year's target of 4.5 million; Robertson Creek - reduction of 2 million, and so on. Apparently the action has been ordered due to shortfalls in the O & M budget (as in not enough coin to feed the fry).

I have some VERY real issues with this action, if it proves to be true. 
- Both the Department and politicians have made direct promises over the past year that adequate funding was assured for SEP.
- The hatcheries are engaged in egg take programs right now, which leaves NO room to fight this unilateral move.
- As far as I can determine, there has been NO consultation whatsoever in this action.

Should this horrid decision stand, the consequences for hook and line fisheries (obviously including us angler types) throughout the BC coast will be sweeping and disasterous in nature. And such unilateral action, timed specifically such that there is no room to question this erronous cutback, leads one to seriously question the relationship between the Department and the Recreational Fishery.

I cannot help but notice that the Ivory Tower on Kent Street (Ottawa) continues to madly consume Major amounts of funding, while the field component of operations takes hit after hit after hit. Seems to me they are slowly but certainly working their top-heavy way out of a job. I mean once the fish are all gone, how then do you justify such an administrative Monstrosity?
Also couldn't help but notice the HUGE windfall the Federal Government announced just a short time ago. While it is difficult to argue with paying down the deficit, and possible tax breaks down the road, I would happily give up my share of the latter, and do question the former when the cost thereof is our precious salmon stocks!

This action flies in the face of all that is reason. I am so choked that I had better stop here, before I get banned for what might be said.  >:(   

So, at this point, I am asking any and all of you that happen to live anywhere close to one of these facilities to PLEASE do a little digging, and help determine the extent of this sleazy performance. Please post findings here, and/or PM/E if preferred. Even if this madness does go through this year, we must make it a matter so embarrassing and painfull to the Department that it eventually gets overturned.

Not At All Cheerfull!
Nog

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Massive Cuts To Chinook Egg Takes???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »

So much for the new government being fish friendly. :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 09:02:27 PM »

Old Black Dog should be all over this as he sits on the SFAB and I believe the chair is from Iron Noggin Country. Let see what they can find out and hopefully get some changes made.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:30:34 AM »

Friday » October 12 » 2007

Fishing disaster thankfully avoided

Jeremy Maynard
Courier-Islander

Friday, October 12, 2007

Sometimes I think the best news is that which a person doesn't hear about and I would guess that most anglers in southern BC would never know that one of the more significant fisheries management crises in recent times came and went over the course of a few days earlier this week.

On the very eve of spawning season, over the Thanksgiving weekend rumours spread rapidly to the effect that significant reductions in the chinook egg-take targets at production hatcheries had been ordered by DFO regional senior staff. These appeared to be confirmed by the editorial in Wednesday's Courier-Islander but almost as soon as that paper went into circulation here on the North Island word came out of Vancouver announcing that the original egg-take targets had been reinstated.

So much for the good news but it gives little comfort to know that such a hare-brained decision had been made in the first place, eroding whatever brittle confidence many have regarding the federal government's commitment to the Salmon Enhancement Program (SEP). Despite assurances earlier this year that adequate funding for the program was in place, clearly somebody in charge was prepared to sacrifice a quarter or more of the hatchery chinook production in the Pacific region in order to save a few dollars.

Had these egg-take reductions actually occurred the negative consequences in a few years time for all hook and line salmon fisheries throughout coastal BC and the communities that depend on them would have been large and certainly out of all proportion to the monies initially saved. Coming as it did on the heels of an announced $14 billion federal surplus only added insult to the injury that came oh so close to being a reality.

However, to give credit where credit is due, the decision was promptly reversed and of course the real issue is Ottawa's systemic refusal to properly fund SEP. The claims of the current government to fully fund the program ring no more true than the neglect visited on it by the last lot in power. Study after study has shown that SEP generates a positive cash flow to government and the program has been pared down to the bone with no further efficiencies to be gained, yet it hasn't received either an increase in funding or even an adjustment for inflation in decades. Yes decades, not years and the situation has become a shameful reflection on the priorities of the federal government, regardless of which party is in power.

Another disturbing aspect of this near crisis was the complete lack of consultation with affected stakeholders. DFO is often criticized, sometimes rightly so, but its consultation processes have become pervasive and almost too much of a good thing. That the department could internally make a decision with such far-reaching implications for fishing opportunities in the future allowing no time for consultation with those who would have borne the brunt of the consequences is deeply troubling. Partnerships is a word increasingly used in many aspects of the government and public interface, but if this latest imbroglio is any indication of how DFO wants to foster partnerships with its client base I think it's a damn peculiar way of showing how.

One last comment - for the time being - on this situation, albeit a bit from left field but quite seriously all the same. Recently the government of Canada has developed a recovery strategy for the southern resident Killer Whale population under the Species At Risk Act legislation, an initiative that could have implications for all users of the marine areas these animals inhabit in Canada, including anglers. Marine mammal researchers have demonstrated pretty much beyond doubt that the diet item of choice for resident Killer Whales is chinook salmon, so you can see why this might have implications for those who fish for them (the chinook salmon that is!). Quite apart from sustaining fisheries, it would seem to me that DFO has an obligation to maintain chinook production from departmental hatcheries to also ensure it is not compromising the recovery efforts of this listed Killer Whale population, an initiative brought about in large measure by those working elsewhere within the same department.

Moving on, with the passing of the Thanksgiving weekend it really is chum season now. Fishing success was erratic through much of last week and into the early part of last weekend but in general improved with the weather and on Monday there were quite a number of chums caught. There were quite a number of people out fishing for them as well, we did a quick tally in Plumper Bay around mid-morning and counted fifty-five boats, with more just out of sight around the corner at Separation Head in Deepwater Bay.

As always in a fleet of that size there were some boats that appeared to be enjoying disproportionate success, as anglers we all live in hope that this is going to be our big day and so it was for some. Our boat plugged along with a fish here and there; we weren't dissatisfied but one flasher and hootchie rig caught three-quarters of our catch and try as I might nothing else seemed as appealing to the chums. What the subtle difference was in that particular set-up eluded me but it was obviously important to the fish.

And what beauties they were! I was fishing with two friends both of whom have caught an awful lot of fish, including many large chinook salmon in their lifetimes, and once again we found ourselves commenting on how strong chum salmon are when hooked. These fish will not give up and woe betide an angler with insufficiently strong or improperly tied gear.

With luck there will be several more weeks of good fishing and the annual Browns Bay chum derby is set for the weekend of October 20 and 21 - have fun!

© Courier-Islander (Campbell River) 2007

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »

... word came out of Vancouver announcing that the original egg-take targets had been reinstated.

Reason? Or just Temporary Insanity? ::)

Wonderin'
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:26:37 PM »

Thanks for the post OBD.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:39:16 AM »

Now how about our coho stocking cut of 600k smolts in the Chilliwack Hatchery? Have they consulted any body? Considering the Chilliwack/Vedder is the major show for the lower maintland fishermen, and that coho salmon is a prime target for most salmon fishermen, why did they cut the stocking? DFO only have themselves to blame for ever decreasing license sales, because they cannot just keep on increasing license fees and yet reducing fish stocking. No private businesses can survive this mode of operation.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:59:59 AM »

Will check into this Steelhawk.