Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Something Catchy Kokanee Derby - April 16 -19, 2015  (Read 2314 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
2015 Something Catchy Kokanee Derby - April 16 -19, 2015
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »

-- The Derby is on Lake Chelan... not a big trip for us Okanagan types.
-- Chelan has been producing good size and numbers for kokanee for a few years now.
-- Any tips for winter/spring fishing for kokanee...Chelan hotspots
-- I'm heading down to give it a try... up against the local guides and sponsored teams will be a challenge as I've never fished the lake. 
-- This will be a showcase of kokanee products and everything kokanee.

--Proceeds from the derby to support local youth fishing programs.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: 2015 Something Catchy Kokanee Derby - April 16 -19, 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

www.washingtonlakes.com has lots of reports on Lake Chelan kokanee with lots of detail - trolling speed, depth, lures, bait, scents.  It looks like a fun fishery - lots of big fish this year and also good numbers of lake trout (char) (actually, a nuisance amount of lake trout, so the limits are high).

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »

--Washington lakes web is a good source. They are having a get together on Chelan early May. I went last year but didn't have a chance to fish. I think this year they are doing kokanee and lake trout. Last year was kokanee only so a good chance to meet up with kokanee equipment manufacturers.

--Kokanee fishing is big busness in USA

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:54:27 PM by skaha »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »

--aside from the cash prizes there are several sponsor donations. Canadian Scotty has donated a downrigger.
--of interest the sponsors are having sort of a tackle war within the derby. Several of the sponsored teams are staying at one of the lodges on the lake and will be matching their tackle against the others as well as giving advice and seminars to all participants.