Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ‘Shockingly huge’ steelhead escape fish farm, threatening B.C.’s Lois Lake  (Read 2253 times)

Parasoul

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/shockingly-huge-steelhead-salmon-escape-180946886.html

“A huge amount of these fish, meant only for aquaculture, are escaping into very sensitive cutthroat and Kokanee trout habitat,” he said.

“A client recently caught a 30-pound, one-ounce rainbow trout, and we catch fish over 20 pounds on a regular basis.”

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

that's Pat Demeester, aka "Patches". Even though he is guide there and does take clients on Lois lake, he has been trying to publicize this issue for over 15 years. He also runs a Facebook group "Cutthroat  Flyfishing" :

"A community of folks who are connected though the love and passion of Cutthroat fly fishing for any branch of the Cutthroat family".
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Top notch gentleman well versed in all things Cutthroat in the Powell River area of the province. Cancer survivor and expert fly fisher. Fights to protect the world class cutthroat fishery in his area. Mad respect for my friend.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Bass, sunfish, carp, talapia, gold fish ect.. all more of a concern imo

then a few trophy sized sterile rainbows
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 09:57:05 AM by wildmanyeah »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

Bass, sunfish, carp, talapia, gold fish ect.. all more of a concern imo
then a few trophy sized sterile rainbows

We're allowed to care about more than one thing at a time, you know ::)

The thing that bugs me about this story is that a private company is using public resources poorly to generate a profit for their company. Either do it properly and give a darn about your local environment, or take the farm onto your own land and raise the fish in tanks. The lack of accountability, as evidenced by the media's inability to get a response from anyone for this story, is infuriating.

iblly

• Old Timer

Man there is some mutant looking trout in Lois lake.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Imo it’s more likely that the residents rainbows are eating fish farm pellets and getting fat then these being escapees.

But it wouldn’t be that hard to catch one and dna test it to find out.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

well the cutthroat trout population in some of the bigger lakes there are supposedly quite unique both in size and behavior. I don't see too many photos of big pig cutthrout coming out of Lois or Khartoum lake, these have been joined by the formation of the reservoir so I don't think they are feeding on pellets around the pens. However the big rainbows do seem to be. The same thing happened at Sayres Lake when there was the net pond operation there to raise trout to stockable size. Lots of big escapee rainbows  up to close to 20lbs were caught before the operation was shut down. it was a sight to watch the camp manager goad them up with pellets and see these big trout coming out of the depth.