Fishing in British Columbia > Members' Fishing Reports

Alouette 2017

(1/15) > >>

wildmanyeah:
Arrived at the lake around noon. 3 people were taking there boats out of the water who spent the morning fishing. Did not seem like they had much success.  Our goal was to try out a dual rod holder that mounts to the scotty downrigger base that we plan to use while out in the ocean. Worked great is a nice clean setup!

Again the surface water temperature was cold. This time the water temperature was 5-7c and the thermocline ranged from 20-30 feet depending on location in the lake. Lots of debris past the narrows probably from the windstorm a few days early so we fished elsewhere. 

We fished from the narrows south on the west side of the lake for two hours, marked some fish on the sounder but had no luck. Tried frog flat fish, apex, dick nite, pink hoochie and others all with no success. fished from surface down to 50 feet.

picked up and motored to the hatchery, marked what look like kokanee schools from 100 to 150 deep. Put the rigger down to 130 feet deep and on the last past hit a stump and lost all the gear and saved the ball. Not sure why the sumps looked like school suspended above the bottom. Still "stumped" on that one! No luck so headed in

No signs of fish jumping or surfacing so the lake is still cold. Looks like the late will probably heat up a month late! just in time for the watersports to take over the lake. Was a hot clear day! saw a few falcons or eagles making a nest! saw some geese flying just over the lake! was great!

Hopping to get out on the salt this sunday!

typhoon:
Thanks for the update.

Why do you think the thermocline was at 20-30 feet?
If the thermocline were at 30 feet there would be no fish below 30 feet due to low oxygen so why would you run your rigger at 50 to 130 feet?

Damien:
My guess is giving it a shot after a tough days' fishing, you tend to go outside of the box.  They have had not been reading the thermocline accurately, and he said he thought he marked some schools down deep.

I'm finally going to have a Down Imaging sounder on that lake this year, looking forward to marking different areas and differentiate between the wood work down there and the schools of kokes.

wildmanyeah:

--- Quote from: typhoon on April 12, 2017, 01:02:35 PM ---Thanks for the update.

Why do you think the thermocline was at 20-30 feet?
If the thermocline were at 30 feet there would be no fish below 30 feet due to low oxygen so why would you run your rigger at 50 to 130 feet?

--- End quote ---

That's not necessarily true for a big lake like alouette lake. You can clearly see where the thermocline is on the sounder and no doubt it was between 20-30 feet. At far as low oxygen levels below the thermocline it depends on the lake or body of water. Alouette lake gets thoroughly mixed all year by gold creek and the dam. ITs rare for lakes not to get thoughly mixed and create a dead layer. http://www.lakeaccess.org/ecology/lakeecologyprim4.html

I wish i had a prob that could of checked the departure below the line to really tell if it was 4C or warmer.

Here is another report on a different fourm from march http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/alouette-lake.63395/

typhoon:

--- Quote from: wildmanyeah on April 12, 2017, 01:46:59 PM ---That's not necessarily true for a big lake like alouette lake. You can clearly see where the thermocline is on the sounder and no doubt it was between 20-30 feet. At far as low oxygen levels below the thermocline it depends on the lake or body of water. Alouette lake gets thoroughly mixed all year by gold creek and the dam. ITs rare for lakes not to get thoughly mixed and create a dead layer. http://www.lakeaccess.org/ecology/lakeecologyprim4.html

I wish i had a prob that could of checked the departure below the line to really tell if it was 4C or warmer.

Here is another report on a different fourm from march http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/alouette-lake.63395/

--- End quote ---
It is certainly not rare for lakes to create a dead layer. Almost every lake in the interior has a thermocline where fish stack up. It's why gang-trolling down the middle of the lake works.
The definition of a thermocline is stratification due to temperature difference. If Gold Creek is oxygenating the lower part of the lake then it would also prevent stratification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version