Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stave river jan. 11th.  (Read 3422 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
stave river jan. 11th.
« on: January 11, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »

Well i couldn't take  it anymore and HAD..to get out and fish somewhere, anywhere, looking at the hydrometric data wasn't hard to see the Vedder and most other rivers were to blown to try...checked out the stave and it looked decent so i headed up there....spent a most enjoyable day working on my fly fishing technique or lack there of...rained on and off but the sun came out a few times and the hood came off...didn't catch anything but saw a couple cutties come up...unfortunately either my lack of skill or lack of the right fly didn't haul any of them in...saw one other guy do a quick walk through of a few spots and then head out...i was mostly poking around the toilet bowl, fishing the backstreams inlets hoping the cutties might want to sample my fry offering...oh well...no luck there, did try a couple KCK's and a muddler but no luck on them either...

Would like to say here for the record...it's a real pleasure for me to come up and fish in Canada..i do most of my fishing up here and today was another example of your countries personality...i met a couple guys who came down to chat with me about what i was doing, both i found out were avid fly fisherman too and both guys spent a good half hour or giving me good hints on what to tie or fish..how to do it and even helped me spot a cuttie that came up....I'm sure both could immediately tell i was a beak at this but neither were braggarts or rude...i hope these guys are members or read this cause it was much appreciated by me.....funny thing was, being raised in rougher parts of Michigan and spending over ten years in the military in San Diego...I'm a bit paranoid when guys walk up and start chatting...i was at first looking at my other rod and wondering if the first guy was just waiting to get a chance to grab it and run..stuff I've seen happen and sadly wouldn't have surprised me...so at first i was a little guarded and wondered how fast i could run in my wading boots if i had to chase the guy down and issue a beating...but as i said before there was nothing but good intentions and welcomed fly fishing camaraderie from both these guys...i actually walked out with the second guy as i was soaked and frozen..and he gave me a couple great tips on spots he'd seen quite a few cutties schooling....it was a real pleasure meeting and talking to these guys and as i drove home i was ashamed i have become so jaded towards other people....kind of like Tim Hortons' coffee...once you start, it's hard to not love this stuff...THanks Guys!!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: stave river jan. 11th.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »

Good to hear about some positve vibes. Whereabouts do you live in Washington ?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:18 PM »

Good to hear you've had a positive experience Golf man.
Fish on!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 10:54:43 PM »

ya that's cool, and a good read. yer makin me wanna forget about steelhead tomorrow and chuck some flies for cutts.... hmmm high water...... i know just the spot. I dunno about most guys here in the lowermainland, but i have had consistant success this time of year with a white rabbit strip zonker tied about an inch to inch n a quarter long, tied down over a pearl mylar tube body. i would post a pic.... and some nice steelie shots hehe if i could figure out how to get them outta my camera hehehe.... i need tech support LOL

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:07 PM »

Good to hear about some positve vibes. Whereabouts do you live in Washington ?

i live in blaine, have a warehouse business on peace portal.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:17:10 PM »

Any good rivers for steelhead or salmon near Blaine ?

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:03:25 AM »

Golfman- wouldn't be Hagens by any chance?
get off the couch

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »

Must be tough to go to the warehouse when you have that awesome golf course right there. ;)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:59:08 AM »

Golfman- wouldn't be Hagens by any chance?

No, they are my competition, though friendly, I'm down another block in the big brick house,

not really any decent steelhead or salmon rivers, California creek right here in Blaine does have OK runs but i fished it once this year and it was like wading in a very dirty mudpuddle...yeah you can catch fish but there was no joy for me fishing like that, the nooksack is also decent in spots I've heard but when I've been up there i have not seen any fish, heck it may sound funny but you don't "smell" any fish...you know what i mean if you've fished any of your rivers, you can see the carcasses and smell the fish, you don't see or smell  that on the nooksack, at least where i have been...

i coach the  H.S. golf team so I'm up at Semi ah moo and Loomis almost everyday for three to four months in the spring, i am debating on getting a social up there as i already got my son a junior membership, very affordable for us for him and he can play year round....played some amazing courses all over the U.S. but as odd as it might sound, nothing has made my "soul" feel alive like standing in or next to the Vedder or some such river and tossing around a line!....i come home feeling so relaxed and as stupid as it may sound, "grateful" that there are places like that that i can go and rejuvenate...

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »

Hi there Golfman65. I believe that was you that must of been with Ron yesterday. I saw Ron's car in the parking lot and I headed up to the dam thingking he was steelhead fishing and that I would see him there. He wasn't up there, so I started fishing my way down river trying to cover the water very well of course. I probably took awhile because when I made my way down river my Friend Dean said you guys were fishing the toilet bowl for awhile, but Ron had already left and you were probably down the side channel by the time I made it down there because I didn't see you anywhere either.

It's too bad I missed Ron, I would have like to have said hi to him, and met you as well. Dean said he talked with you guys for a little bit. My name is Paul anyway, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi.

We were looking for steelies, but didn't have any luck. The water was pretty huge. We fished both sides and Dean managed to find a couple of Cutties down toward the trailer park.

Perhaps I'll see ya next time.

Take care.

ATS

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »

Hi there Golfman65. I believe that was you that must of been with Ron yesterday. I saw Ron's car in the parking lot and I headed up to the dam thingking he was steelhead fishing and that I would see him there. He wasn't up there, so I started fishing my way down river trying to cover the water very well of course. I probably took awhile because when I made my way down river my Friend Dean said you guys were fishing the toilet bowl for awhile, but Ron had already left and you were probably down the side channel by the time I made it down there because I didn't see you anywhere either.

It's too bad I missed Ron, I would have like to have said hi to him, and met you as well. Dean said he talked with you guys for a little bit. My name is Paul anyway, sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi.

We were looking for steelies, but didn't have any luck. The water was pretty huge. We fished both sides and Dean managed to find a couple of Cutties down toward the trailer park.

Perhaps I'll see ya next time.

Take care.

ATS

that was us...i was driving the tan toyota tacoma with all the stickers...i met ronny in mission and i followed him out..he didn't bring any fishing or rain gear and had to walk across the rocks in the water a couple times..i just laugh watching him sometimes...but he stood around for about 20 minutes with me and got soaked and then took off and drove back to my place in blaine to ship boxes...go figure, I'm Paul as well, look forward to meeting you...i left around 4 - 430 ish...went to mike and yourngs to get more stuff that doesn't catch fish but is alot of fun to dink with anyways...

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »

thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 04:12:02 PM »

Nice to meet you Paul. Next time we'll go to the pub down the road to get out of the rain and have a couple of cold ones ;D.

Next time your in town tell Ronny to give me a call and we can meet up if the logistics work.

Take care and tight lines!

Paul- ATS