Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout fishing on the Vedder, 4-1-07, a real report this time  (Read 1808 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Trout fishing on the Vedder, 4-1-07, a real report this time
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »

So......Is it trout season or steelhead still???? We couldn't make up our minds but Capt. Super vest, Merc the little tail out bugger...and myself, guide to the stars...headed out for some trout...

We started on the upper...in snow flakes briefly...hitting some runs with the water level much lower then Thursday and clarity improved too...The run that produced 5 fish for myself and that little tail out grunt on Thursday looks no more as the water level had dropped...We run a few drifts through and Capt. Super vest hooks into what I believe is the smallest steelhead of the year...This one makes Freaks even look big!!!! But a steelhead is a steelhead so that was a good sign!!!

We fished our way up to some good water, ran into big T and chatted for awhile...always good to see and gab with him and his son out for a nice day on the river...Nothing happening for us up there but he had gotten a nice 13lb earlier...Decided that Capt. Super vest needed to pork up some so headed down to pointa vista for lunch with the twins...Food Ok, the twins...oh yeah...

Hit Ways field for a very brief fish...The owner drove out and told us this is private property and we are not allowed out there, Rick asked "Isn't the river everyones" and he replied "No, We own up to the trees on the other side and this whole section is going to be closed as private property and no one is allowed through on the shore lines...Hmmmm

So, we head down to another spot...Capt. Super vest heads up and I'm hoping the Tail out thief was going with him but NOOOOOooooooo....he followed me....Well, we get to a nice spot I've had my eye on since I got a couple out of there earlier before the last blow....We start fishing and there goes Mr. Tail out....I said, "Merc, stay in line and fish it down" But he made a couple clicking noises and a whistle...which I believe is a rude word in his language...and walked by me....Couple casts and Bam!!! Fish ON..... bass turd....nice little fight and R2D2 has landed his first Hatchery of the year....Not bad, 3 fish landed in two trips this week....(Anyone want some advice on catching steelhead, talk to him).... Capt Super vest is fishing another run but gets the shout to come on down....Rick admires Mercs handy work and looks at me and Does another Merc...WHile Laughing at poor old Mr. Guide..... Few casts later....BAM....A really nice fat hatchery doe...put up a spirited fight for the one handed bandit with the bowling glove....and he's boinked his first hatchery of the year as well....

Merc, trying to look all cool with my....ahem...HIS fish!!!

I gotta admit...though I hate too....It was good to see and they were behind me praying to Buddha that we could pull off the tri vecta..... Unfortunately...the wind started howling curses down on yours truly...and all I managed was multiple hook ups with the bottom and nothing else...On the ride home...Tail out thief was repeatably telling all who would listen that he knew that after the first one was landed the rest would come in bushels... ::) I hate him now... ;D 

I didn't get a chance to get a shot of Ricks second fish...but Merc will post a pic or two later...I can say it was big enough to poop the first fish he caught though....Ok, that's all I can think of....I love seeing my brothers into fish....but hate being the leper!!! Should have brought the fly rod...at least then I would of had an excuse... :-[
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:48:46 PM by Xgolfman »

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
Re: Trout fishing on the Vedder, 4-1-07, a real report this time
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »

HOLY CIGARS !

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »

Boy, what didn't ABA cover in the report?  Man, when you fish with ABA, he just keeps on talking and talking and talking.  No wonder he doesn't like to fish alone.  But, I gotta say, he does take us to some fishy waters.  That's what happens when you have Thursdays off, you go exploring and then take your friends out to the waters on the weekend you scoped out earlier in the week.   ;D

Oh, nice pics by the way, ABA.  But you missed a couple:

I gotta say when I caught my fish, I thought it was pretty small. When Super-vest Man hooked into his, and it came splashing out of the water I thought to myself, "Crap, it's a pretty big fish!"  And when he brought it to beach, it was pretty big.  But then we did a side by side and I realized this:  (mine's on top, Super-Vest man's on the bottom)

His was chunkier than mine (Jeeny Craig program for my fish) but both about the same length overall.  We were pulling real hard for ABA to land the third fish to complete this trilogy, but alas it was not to be.  We waited for about an hour and a half in some cold fraggin' nasty brutish wind but to no avail.  Still, it was a great day to be out for all of us, including ABA no matter what he says.   8)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:59:37 PM by MERC »
President Club S. C. & P.

Hook Set

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:37:05 PM »

Nice fish guys, congrats on some late season steel.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »

Fine looking specimens.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:39:50 PM »

excellent report guys....enjoyed the pics!
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »

Nice to see you guys at the flow.Thanks for the report and pictures.We did have a good day fishing too. ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 10:10:06 PM »

Great job excellent report!!  Awesome!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »

Man that was a fun day !!  ;D ;D my day started as my GF woke me up at 3 am thinking it was 5,I couldn't get back to sleep  so I got up and did some chores around the house, get outside early to wait for Merc and then get a call from him telling me that he woke up 45 minutes late  ::) so there I am sitting in my truck waiting for Merc, he finally shows up and off we go... funny thing is later on in the day I get a call from my GF telling me that Merc in his haste has parked in front of a driveway and blocked our neighbours car in their drive lol

The day itself was great, awesome water conditions and nice weather to boot... a few fish and a lot of laughs .. good to see you out there again Big and Little T  ;)

TH
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:19:45 AM by TrophyHunter »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!