Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick one from down south rivers..  (Read 1621 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Quick one from down south rivers..
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »

Well, I honestly tossed a coin yesterday, Heads and I was going to hit the Vedder and scope it out for the upcoming season and try my "new" fly set up with an egg pattern...(also wanted to stop at Reaction and grab a fly bag and enter that contest) ...Or Tails and it was hit the Nooksack down here...( I was stupid enough to turn down a chance to fish the Thompson  :-[ I had to be here in the morning and didn't have any cleats for my boots )
The Nooksack won. I haven't fished it since spring for Dollies..err I mean steelhead..but dollies is what you catch mostly..and what I was hoping to catch this time...River has changed like up there with the big rains, amazing to see how much they can swing....I hit the north fork up by the hatchery and man are the dogs thick still in there....The Nooksack was once a great river for Salmon but (netting) etc. have left it pretty weak by B.C. or even Oregon standards...So seeing that many Chum actually made me feel pretty good.I know they get a bad rap but they are one of my favorites and seeing ANY salmon in numbers like that was a pleasant surprise... I was using my 6wt and trying various egg patterns...by the hatchery I managed to tangle a couple chum in my line which I quickly snapped off but that was it...I headed down river to a nice pull out and fished a large eddie down there and behind some boulders and seams...More practice for Steelhead to be honest...I didn't hook up with any Dollies or bulls which seemed to amaze most I talked too...but I talked to a guy up top that had fished three hours and only hook one dollie so Hey that's life....
It amazing how nice it is to walk and work a river and not be crowed out...(of course that might be because I don't have a clue on any "secret spots"...but some nice water and scenery ... So fishy looking but tough fishing with an indicator and egg on a 6 wt rod...
Saw two guys all day, so that was nice, not near the garbage you see on the Vedder too...( no Tim's down here ;))   When I found any stream side garbage it was small bits of wool or cheaters...found that really funny, Chris would be in heaven...found about ten different cheaters here and there in various colors and two dink floats...that was it...
Been a good month since I've been out so while I didn't catch anything, Man it did me wonders being on a flow again....I took my camera and meant to take some pic's but caught up in the fishing and by the time I was ready to it was too dark..so you'll have to suffer with a plain old boring one this time...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:39:40 PM by Xgolfman »

Eightball

Re: Quick one from down south rivers..
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »

Had the same experience Wed. Chums all over the place. The river has really changed since the floods but it looks promising when it digs out new holes and holding waters. 
Don't try and go on the road next to the hwy 9 bridge out onto the gravel bar at the mouth of the S. Fork. Real deep ruts, you can get high centered very easy. You need a monster truck to get through the last 35 feet.  With my four wheel drive ford tough, I tried and didn't make it and got pulled out by another kind hearted fisherman. He had no choice, he was trapped in. You should of seen us both going out of there. Foot through the fire wall and the mud and dirt went a flying.  Big HEEE Ha!!!! Amazing we didn't break anything.  Tight lines ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the business tip! I'm opening a Timmies there so you can have that garbage all over the place. :D Iguess the First nations run most of the hatcheries down there so they get first kick at the cat, is that so?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »

They don't run any of the hatcheries down here that I know of...and they net the sh*t out of it..

Pat AV

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:04 AM »

I think there are tribal hatcheries on some Washington Rivers (according to my Washington mapbooks).

I was just down your way (last weekend) and spent 3 days on the Skykomish, caught a few whitefish, chum and cutties but no sign of steel. Even the guides in their boats were not finding steel. I guess I was a bit early but I bet it is getting good by now.

It is a nice river and only a couple of hours away, it is very interesting to see how our friends from Washington fish steel very unlike how we do it up here.

Not a successful fishing trip but learned alot about a new river and found my beloved Washington Micro-Brews again!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Eightball

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »

South Fork hatchery is a Indian run hatchery.  Indians have lot of hatcheries in the state. :o