Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pass Lake, Wa. 4-2-06  (Read 1667 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Pass Lake, Wa. 4-2-06
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »

You ever write a nice story about your fishing experience and then accidently delete it adding a picture??? well i just did so this is a condensed version >:(

Pass Lake is on the way to Deception Pass, it's about a 45 to hour drive from Blaine, exit off on hwy 20. It's a fly fishing only lake and a motor less boat lake as well, catch and release also. The catch and release was done to curp or distroy the bass that someone put in the lake. Pass lake as a catch and release lake has some huge brown and rainbow trout in it now.
I went down with a buddy and met up with the four corners fly fishing club as well, ( i'm thinking of joining a fly club as i seem to suck at catching anything on the fly and could use the knowledge of a lot of the senior members)....As the club was there the lake was semi crowded compared to usual but it's a pretty big lake with a huge section of it around the bend..which depending on your rowing abilities is very or not accessable...i borrowed a friends kick boat float tube..which was really nice except for the slow leak...i found i could last an hour and half before needing a re-inflate..after three long kick trips back in i talked my buddy into putting the pump on his pontoon boat and that let me re-inflate while still on the water...
The lake is very scenic..while right on the main road it's still feels very secluded...
I saw a lot of fish caught by guys using indicators and chronomid fishing....i would say the average size of the rainbows caught were 20+ inches...i saw some bigger a couple small ones too...i got shut out again but as i have zero patience for indicator fishing so i wasn't to upset...i trolled around with doc sprats and wooly buggers and spent a long time tossing minnow patterns into the undergrowth of trees'etc. (and losing a lot of them) looking for the elusive giant browns that the lake is also known for....I also tried a few different nymph patterns and basically just had an excellent time trying out just about everything i tied in my fly boxes...I will admit to this right now...i'm not to keen on chonomid fishing with an indicator...sitting there doing nothing is not my idea of fly fishing...i know there are times to do it, blah blah blah..and i know i will again too but man it's a lot more fun winging some serious line into nice dark green pockets of water with the promise of big fish waiting underneath....
I saw three hatches on the lake and at dusk there was a huge hatch. I'm checking to see what it was as there were about three or more happening at the same time..i saw chonomids hatching, some large, (one inch) insect that were tan/brown and i'm assuming were big mayflies..i'm checking on that..also some insect that were leaving large husks but i couldn't get on in so not sure on that. ( i left my insect net in the truck)...near dark i swapped over to a 4wt rod and tossed some dry flies but the fish weren't rising in any large numbers so i mainly was practicing my dry fly casting, which is a helluva lot of fun for me too....what a blast to be on a nice lake at evening with a hatch happening all around you and watching your line in the near dark sky flying in tight loops as your flashing your fly out to distants ripples....
A couple things that are different down here. You can fish at night on Pass lake, something i didn't know or i might have stayed longer.....OK, maybe not i was starving as it was....also you can use two hooks, so i saw guys chonomid fishing with hooks at 4 and 14 feet...or with a dry fly tieing on a smaller dry as well...or possibly an emerger and using the dry as an indicator...pretty cool stuff which i forgot till i was talking to some friends today...
A great spot for you fly guys to come visit for a change of pace...My new license cost me $23..and as a Canadian yours would cost you $43 for the year, so not to horrible to deal with...it's tough fishing at times but the rewards are some huge fish...if you stay into the night the browns are supposed to become quite active so next time i will be doing that for sure..and hopefully my Water Master will be here by then...Here's some shots..

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:17:48 PM by golfman65 »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Pass Lake, Wa. 4-2-06
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »

cool pics..thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:30:41 PM »

good report, it looks kinda like the last picture of that guy in the orange pontoon is sinking :P

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:40:20 PM »

good report, it looks kinda like the last picture of that guy in the orange pontoon is sinking :P

that's the guy i went down with, the one who lended me the sinking kick boat :D Big Bill..We got to Pass Lake around 10 at the latest...when i came in for my first re-inflate, the club was calling the guys in for lunch..( they make a big pot of something hot for everyone)...anyways B.B. had half his pontoon set up by then...was having a helluva time with the bladders, which he'd gotten recently replaced and the nozzles weren't fitting properly...So after another half hour that's as much air as he was gonna fight to get in....he floated around fine all day and was my service vehicle, storing an air pump...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:51:54 PM »

Looks like an idyllic setting to spend a day.

FishGuts

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 09:19:34 AM »

Hey golfman, trout are very aware of what is going on, if they were feeding on chironimids most likely thats all they were keying in on so using other patterns is almost useless unless there is another insect hatching heavily, even then they might only key in on 1 of the hatches. I know you dont like using indicators and chironimid fishing but beleive me once you try it and get the hang of it you'll love it. Up here in the bc interior chironimids are the major staple early in the season and most times early on are the only way you'll catch fish - at least the big ones. As the season progresses the fly choices become more and more but thats here, could be different where you are as I take it the lake has been iced off for awhile if it had ice at all.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 12:14:11 PM »

one day I would love to travel down there and spend a weekend on that lake.. looks very nice and peaceful!!  nice pics

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »

Hey golfman, trout are very aware of what is going on, if they were feeding on chironimids most likely thats all they were keying in on so using other patterns is almost useless unless there is another insect hatching heavily, even then they might only key in on 1 of the hatches. I know you dont like using indicators and chironimid fishing but beleive me once you try it and get the hang of it you'll love it. Up here in the bc interior chironimids are the major staple early in the season and most times early on are the only way you'll catch fish - at least the big ones. As the season progresses the fly choices become more and more but thats here, could be different where you are as I take it the lake has been iced off for awhile if it had ice at all.

Thanks, i'm learning..i'm learning, i read phil rowleys book last night and saw that...i also found ways to fish them but not have to just sit there waiting for the bobber to go down, so that will help..also am finding out about emerger patterns etc. this is why i love fly fishing, it's a constantly changing and quite the challenge