Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wild vs hatchery  (Read 9149 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: wild vs hatchery
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

since we're dealing with hypothetical scenarios, how about this....

a wild fish which have been caught more than once might have some form of residual memory of the "bad" experience and may fight harder to get away whereas a hatchery fish which is more likely to get bonked will never get nor experience that second chance...unless of course it gets away then most probably, it will fight just as hard as it's counter part if hooked again.

personally, i've found wild fish to be more ballistic, but then again, i've caught some hatchery that fought like springs.

dave c

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

since we're dealing with hypothetical scenarios, how about this....

a wild fish which have been caught more than once might have some form of residual memory of the "bad" experience and may fight harder to get away whereas a hatchery fish which is more likely to get bonked will never get nor experience that second chance...unless of course it gets away then most probably, it will fight just as hard as it's counter part if hooked again.

personally, i've found wild fish to be more ballistic, but then again, i've caught some hatchery that fought like springs.
Interesting theory makes sense.....whether or not fish have the capability to remember a "bad experience" in that pea size brain is a matter of contention...... but it makes sense to me, but that being said I've been told that I have a pea size brain for being a leaf fan......    ;o)

roeman

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

Been fishing the Copper and Kalum rivers up in Terrace for the last 4 months for steelhead and I would have to say it has nothing to do with hatchery or wild but 99% due to water temperature.
All the steelhead on these rivers are wild while amazing to see and catch 2 to 10 fish a day  but they fight like old spawned out pinks.  Weather is getting warmer and the ice jams are gone from the river and the new runs have started to come in.  Hopefully the fish will have a little more energy as well.  First year up here, looking forward to at least seeing a 25lb steelhead...
Are you fishin or catchin

Silex-user

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 06:06:46 PM »

Been fishing the Copper and Kalum rivers up in Terrace for the last 4 months for steelhead and I would have to say it has nothing to do with hatchery or wild but 99% due to water temperature.
All the steelhead on these rivers are wild while amazing to see and catch 2 to 10 fish a day  but they fight like old spawned out pinks.  Weather is getting warmer and the ice jams are gone from the river and the new runs have started to come in.  Hopefully the fish will have a little more energy as well.  First year up here, looking forward to at least seeing a 25lb steelhead...

God's steelhead fishing country up where you are........ ;)

Silex-user