Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think Pink?  (Read 5205 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Think Pink?
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »

Are there significant differences in terms of catches for pinks in the Fraser River with pink coloured lures and non-pink coloured lures?

I have more non-pink coloured lures in my tackle box right now, so I wonder if I will get a lot less bites for pinks with non-pink coloured lures. My non-pink collection consist of Buzz-Bombs, Zzingers, Luhr Jensen Krocodile, Rapalas, Gibbs Silvex and Super Vibrax spinners.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:00:10 PM by Long_Cast »

MoeJKU

Re: Think Pink?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »

you can only catch pink salmon with pink lures. Go spend lots of money in your nearest tackle store on everything pink. They will love to help you out.
Well they do  like the color pink i get hits on almost anything. blue and silver, silver, orange and silver, gold and silver. If you are worried a lot just sand some of them down and paint them pink. A quick search on google will show you how. I've used to buy only plain silver or gold spinners and spoons and just pain them what ever i was running out of.

Mind you i don't use spoons or spinners any more for pinks. Just flies.

azafai

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »

yes, they love pink color the most.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »

Using jigs I haven't found a difference between pink, chartreuse, white or yellow.

Same for spoons I just buy the 4 pack of mixed colours.  I painted a bunch of spoons pink last year and didn't notice a difference.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

I do remember watching In-Fisherman TV show back in the early 90's and they did a feature where they tested different coloured lures in murky lake/river conditions.

The result?

All colours looked the pretty much the same using their underwater cam when they did underwater testing for different coloured lures.

It made no difference in strikes when one colour is used over another.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »

I've caught pinks of everything under the sun.
When everyone uses pink, I use chartreuse or something else.

azafai

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »

yes, all colors work, but pink works the best!
chartreuse is second!

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »

when it comes to pink fishing, yea they bite pink. In my experience light green or light blue spinners have worked well. also there will be so many pinks in the water that it's just a matter of timing rather than gear. just make sure to go durring high tide and your set.
Tight lines to all

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

Bubble gum will work, pink worm.
One thing I found is that squamish pinks prefer smaller lures than the Vedder ones.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »

Just buy some pink lure tape and stick them on your existing spoons.

jon5hill

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »

People fixate on the color of the lure, but often times the only reason they are catching them on pink lures is because that is what they are using. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out. Perhaps the most concrete statement I could make about color preference and fish is that in turbid/murky water, brighter colors tend to outdo darker colors, simply for the fact that fluorescent colors penetrate through the mud a lot easier than dark colors do. I find that the lure size, reeling speed, and weight are often more important factors than color.

Think about it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »

Buy yourself some lure tape in pink and Chartreuse and your set. Just tape your lures so that the outside has the tape and the inside is still flashy (silver, gold, brass....) You can if you want make the entire lure pink or green but I find having some flash to help

Im thinking of doing a pink face, charteuse back lure and see how they like it  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »

People fixate on the color of the lure, but often times the only reason they are catching them on pink lures is because that is what they are using. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out. Perhaps the most concrete statement I could make about color preference and fish is that in turbid/murky water, brighter colors tend to outdo darker colors, simply for the fact that fluorescent colors penetrate through the mud a lot easier than dark colors do. I find that the lure size, reeling speed, and weight are often more important factors than color.

This pretty much nails it for me.  The whole "pink is the best colour for pink salmon" thing makes me laugh.  Honestly, pink salmon have no preference for the colour pink, it's simply that most people use pink lures most of the time, and pink happens to be a bright, easy-to-see colour.

Use whatever you have confidence in - if it happens to be pink, knock your socks off!  ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »

my go to colour is actually Charteuse for pinks. I only use pink if its not working. Of course these are Fraser water clarity flies. If im fishing the Vedder or Harrison the flies are a much more subtle toned down colour like olive with some flash. Ive tried bright flies but it seemed to just spook them instead
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »

REALLY?, CHARTREUSE?  (caught my wife with that too!!)

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.