Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteer opportunities and news updates  (Read 5851 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2009 Seymour Salmon Hatchery volunteer opportunities and news updates
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »

Hi everyone,

We have the Pink Salmon trap up and running in the Chilliwack, thanks to those volunteers that helped with putting it together today.

We will be looking for people to help us over the next few weeks.  Initially we will need a few volunteers to help move pinks from the trap and transport them to the Chilliwack Hatchery.  As we move into October we are going to start spawning these fish as they become ripe.  This work will be carried out during the week and will potentially use more volunteers - there are around 2000 pairs of fish that we need spawn!!

Our first tentative date for moving fish is going to be Friday the 25th of September.  After that day we plan to move fish on the following Tuesday (29th of September) and Friday (2nd of October).  These dates are subject to change as it will depend on fish numbers.

Please let me know which dates you might be able to help out.  If you have your own waders that would be great but we can supply them if needed.  Rain gear may also be needed - once again we can supply some.

We will leave from on the North Shore in the truck and can take around 4 volunteers.  I am not sure of the time of departure but imagine it will be around 7.30- 8.30. 

Click on the link below to see our pick up point - it is on Amherst Ave opposite the Tim Hortons (South of Dollarton Highway)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Amherst+ave+and+dollarton+highway,+north+vancouver&sll=49.304951,-123.017135&sspn=0.00992,0.01929&ie=UTF8&ll=49.304056,-123.018336&spn=0.00992,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A

Thanks for your continued support

Please leave e-mail subject and quoted text intact.

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
volunteering@seymoursalmon.com
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »

Hi everyone,

Yesterday we were given the go ahead to do an experiment with around 7000 of our coho that we are currently holding.  This will involve holding these fish for a later than normal release date in May.  There is some belief that there is a window in early August that will provide better conditions for them when they are released.  These fish will receive a maxillary bone clip which will allow us to distinguish them from our other normal hatchery released fish.  As part of this experiment we need to get these fish up to a much larger size than our usual 20 gram target.  As a result we want to get these fish clipped ASAP so we can move them into another pond and get them really feeding.  We are hoping to see an improved survival in these fish compared to our normal hatchery release but there is only one way to find this out.

We are looking for some volunteers to help us on Thursday the 24th of September.  We will start around 9.30 - 10am and go until we get them finished.  Bring lunch and rubber boots.  Rain gear may be useful if is wet.  We can provide some gumboots and rain gear if you don't have any.

Please reply to this email if you are able to help out.

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 04:27:42 PM »

Hi everyone,

We are looking to continue moving Pinks and start doing egg takes at the Chilliwack on the 5th, 7th, 9th and 13th of October.  We will be looking to use as many volunteers as possible as the egg take part is very labour intensive and we will have a lot of fish to get through.  We can take some volunteers in the company truck and can meet others at the Chilliwack hatchery, please indicate if you need a ride or can drive up yourself (or perhaps help take others).  Waders and rain gear are useful, we can provide some if needed. 
We will leave from the Tim Hortons on Amherst Ave at the Dollarton Highway intersection at 7.30am.  Those that meet us at the Chilliwack hatchery will aim for 9-9.30.

If you can help out please indicate what days you can help and if you need a ride or waders

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

Hi Everyone,

It looks like our pink egg take is winding down.  It is likely that the 20th will be our last day working on the pinks for this year unless there is an influx of more fish in the next few days.  There is a small chance that the 23rd might happen as well.

Please let me know if you can help out on either of those days but especially the 20th as that will definitely go ahead.

Thanks

--

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:34 PM »

Hi everyone,

First of all a big thank-you to all of those that helped with the Pink Salmon egg takes at the Chilliwack.  We ended up taking an estimated 1.7 million eggs of which around 1 or so million will end up at the Seymour for hatching and release.  Hopefully it will result in a good return of Pinks to the Seymour in 2011.  Our adult return this year was very encouraging with good numbers of fish seen all the way up to the dam and in Hurry Creek - the numbers we saw were definitely a first in the upper river above the canyon, I counted over 200 pinks spawning in the area at Spur 7.

Chum egg takes:

We will be looking for some volunteers to help on 2 consecutive Wednesdays with the Chum egg take (28th October and 4th November).  We will leave from the North Shore at 8am from outside the Tim Hortons on Amherst Ave just south of Dollarton Highway, we will then aim to get the eggs and milt and leave the Alloutte by 1pm at the latest.  We will then bring the eggs and milt back to the hatchery where we will do the fertilizing.  It won't be necessary for you to come up to the hatchery to do this unless you would like to help out and see what we do so we can drop you off on the North Shore on the way back.  Bring rubber boots or waders if you have them, lunch, warm clothes, rain gear.  If you don't have boots/waders we can bring a pair of waders for you to use - just let me know if you need a pair.  It would also be possible for volunteers to meet us out at the Allouette - just let me know if you want to do this and I will organise some directions for you.

Chilliwack pink trap dismantling:

We are looking for a couple of people to help us out on the 29th of October to dismantle the Pink Salmon trap - this should only take a couple of hours hopefully.  We will leave from the North Shore at 8am from outside the Tim Hortons on Amherst Ave just south of Dollarton Highway, head up to the Chilliwack for 9.30-10, hopefully we will be done by around midday.  This might suit people that live near the Chilliwack or plan to fish that day in the Chilliwack.

Please let me know which of these days you can help out

Thanks again

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »

Hi Everyone,

We have finished with our egg takes at the Aloutte river with chum, thanks to those that were able to help. 

We will be doing carcass recoveries when weather and time permit over the next few weeks to help determine the size of our adult coho return.  There will be an opportunity for anyone who is interested to come up and spend a few hours in the streams around the Seymour river looking for spawned out fish.  Let me know if you are interested (the weekends would be especially good) and we will try to fit you in.  If you have waders and rain gear bring them along.  Email me some possible dates that suit you, we can also do it at reasonably short notice if the weather looks good.  I would recommend trying not to come on days that are especially wet.

Thanks

Ed Walls
Volunteer Coordinator
Seymour Salmonid Society
604 288 0511