Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selective Hook Size?  (Read 1519 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Selective Hook Size?
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »

Was fishing for Coho with a number 2 hook and roe the other day and ended up killing a 7 inch long cutty that inhaled the roe. Is it worth going up a couple of sizes to say a 1/0 to make this less likely to happen? Or it just best to avoid using roe when trout are likely to be following salmon up the river or use a different bait?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:11:30 PM by nickredway »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Selective Hook Size?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »

sh*t happens!, go to the 1/0 and there is a chance you are gonna put the hook right through the brain of that poor little cutty. Personal preference I guess

doja

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »

Try making the bait bigger so the small ones cannot inhale it. Coho have a fairly big mouth vs a small trout.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »

I can think of only a couple times I've badly hooked juvies.  Your call, but it happens so rarely that I wouldn't jeopardize my chances of missing a lot of coho because the hook point is far way from the bait and the coho just pecking around the hook.  Its a blood sport, and there will be some losses inevitably unfortunately.  If you're hooking lots, move spots, or maybe then consider upping the hook size, but for normal fishing, personally, I'd stick to #4, 2, maybe 1/0 for roe and <2 for wool ties.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:24:24 PM by Matt »