Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning and fly fishing setup  (Read 3959 times)

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Spinning and fly fishing setup
« on: February 10, 2005, 10:06:42 PM »

Was wondering what setup everybody uses for salmon fishing when they use spinners/spoons? I myself do not fish too much with spinners, but when I am using spinners I use cheap Shimano 9' rod, medium action, rated up to 20#, with a cheap medium Shimano spinner.
What would be minimalistic version you would use without being worried of breaking your equipment? Just wondering, to add some excitement when I get fish ON :)

About fly fishing setup, do not know anything, but wondering, as I am thinking of trying it out. Would like to start with a setup where I could fish for trout/pinks/coho without overdoing it, and not being scared of breaking the rod. Any recommendations/thoughts? I think there would be many people who could help with this one, and many people who could use advice about this :)

Thanks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning and fly fishing setup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 10:17:37 PM »

When using spoons do NOT use any weights. Weights negate the action of the spoon. You want the spoon to slowly wobble side to side. It should not be spinning.

In regards to spinning, you can add an inline weight if you are using an unweighted spinner. The action you are trying to achieve is a SLOW spin. The slower the better without hanging up.

As to flyfishing, I would suggest going to a tackle shop like Berry's and pick up a 6 weight outfit. Enroll in a flycasting class and practice.  Good luck.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 10:54:18 PM »

Thanks FA.

What does it mean a "6 weight outfit"? I read fly fishers postings, but it is always confusing, as it doesn't say how many #.

Is there a web site with explanation of fly fishing terminology  ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »

Thanks  :)

Interesting link name  ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »

I fish coho heavily with hardware (spoons/spinners/jigs) and I too use a 9 foot rod meduium action (rated for 8-12 lb line). 

Unlike you hiker, I run 10 or 12 lb main and use a bait caster.   I find the bait cast reels much nicer to use and have better drag systems generally.

If you are using 20lb mono then casting an 1/8oz jig or a #2 or #3 blue fox will be tough.  I have never hooked a coho that needed 20lb test to land!  I would recomend down sizing your main line to 12lb.  I think your casting will be much easier and having 12lb line may require you to  use a little more finesse when landing a fish and to me that = more fun!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 11:45:08 AM »

For those of you who fish with me you'll know that I'm a bit of an ultralite fanatic. My typical coho setup using spinner/spoons is a 6 foot Abu Garcia UL spinning combo loaded with 6lb test  :o The only thing about this setup is 1 I don't usually fish in area's with too many chums, and also, I fish in area's with no current so its usally a pretty fair fight. I typically toss size 3 blue foxes or dick nite spoons.

As for fly fishing, I just bought a 5wt setup, but then again I'm an ultra lite fan. Most people generally use fast action 6wt's or 7wts for coho. But then again I don't really have alot of experience with this subject.

I just went over my numbers from last season and my catch was broken down like this:

Colorado's 50%  :o, Other Spinners/Spoons 23%, Roe/Wool 18%, Flies 9%

So as you can see I fish alot of colorado's. The thing is that I don't swing them through runs as most people typically do. I usually cast to canyon back eddies where the fish like to stack up and rest. My gear setup is my usuall drift rod setup with 15lb line. Between my float and wieght I run about 5 feet (any more and I can't cast across river, any less and its too shallow) my weight is as heavy as my float will allow. This is more so for casting than anything else. Between my weight and my spinner I typically run 5 feet leader  :o Ya thats right 5 feet! For a spinner I use a blade thats between the size of a nickel and the size of a quarter (sorry I don't know the actuall size), as for color, anything will work, copper, silver, gold. all depends on the water color and what the fish have seen alot of latley. (If the bight goes off change colors....belive me it works)

As far as presentation is concerned, I can't emphasize the speed enough, SLOW SLOW SLOW. Baiscly, what you want to do is cast over to your back eddie. Presumably, current will be rather minimum. Allow your spinner to settle in and the start reeling. Inch your float across the surface. If you any feel resistance, or loose sight of the float, set the hook! If you're set up right you should be well above the bottom and the onlything on your hook should be a fish (much like short floating)

Don't know what it is about this technique but it sure pisses off fish pretty good. I'm sure it must be a reaction strike b/c some of the fish we pick up this way are well past their prime and would have never fallen for roe.
Actions speak louder than words.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 12:40:58 PM »

Minimum Fly rod set up would be a 6wt.  What does the weight mean?  It refers to the weight of the fly line/rod.  The line has to matched to the rod.  i.e. if you have a very thick and strong rod, you will need to use heavier line to "load" the rod to maximize your cast.  If you have a skinny fragile rod, you will need very little weight to "load" the rod.  That's it in a nutshell.  More than 6wt. for trout is over kill. 

As for a spinner outfit, I use a 9' or 10.5' and now 12' (barfishing  ;D).  The reels I use are Abu 6000 series with 12lb-15lb mainline.

You do not need to spend big bucks on either outfit.  You can get some good package deals for under $250 each.  As for the fly rod, buy a medium action.  A stiff action will expose all of your beginner faults and you won't enjoy it.