Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinning reel recommendation - $100 to $150?  (Read 1698 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
spinning reel recommendation - $100 to $150?
« on: September 14, 2023, 07:52:28 AM »

Yesterday the bail on my Diawa Whisker SS broke while fishing. Ended my day early. I think it must be close to 20 years old

Looking for a new reel with a 12 to 15lb (mono & yes I use braid) weight around 12 oz more or less. Use it on a 8.5 foot fenwick. Any suggestions? Please include where to buy locally if possible.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

Re: spinning reel recommendation - $100 to $150?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 11:40:23 AM »

Yesterday the bail on my Diawa Whisker SS broke while fishing. Ended my day early. I think it must be close to 20 years old

Looking for a new reel with a 12 to 15lb (mono & yes I use braid) weight around 12 oz more or less. Use it on a 8.5 foot fenwick. Any suggestions? Please include where to buy locally if possible.

I am in the market for a fishing reel too...I cant recommend any since I had all reels below $100 and one daiwa bg which was $160+
i was looking into Shimano Nasci 2500, a lot of them compare it with Daiwa bg (bg is heavier)

Will piggyback on this post to lookout for some good recommendations in that range

Wade

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 07:41:59 PM »

12oz? do you really need that heavy to balance your rod? Almost all of the size 5000 reels from both Daiwa and Shimano are under 11oz these days... if you're looking for size 2500 or size 3000, they'll be under 9oz

I can't comment on Daiwa reels, but for Shimano, I think Nasci is difficult to beat, Rodney had good experience and review on it. Hajime Murata (Shimano's special advisor and field tester who's behind a lot of Shimano's flagship products) said that anything Stella does, Nasci can do...ppl buying stella just to feel better...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 07:55:47 PM »

12oz? do you really need that heavy to balance your rod? Almost all of the size 5000 reels from both Daiwa and Shimano are under 11oz these days... if you're looking for size 2500 or size 3000, they'll be under 9oz

I can't comment on Daiwa reels, but for Shimano, I think Nasci is difficult to beat, Rodney had good experience and review on it. Hajime Murata (Shimano's special advisor and field tester who's behind a lot of Shimano's flagship products) said that anything Stella does, Nasci can do...ppl buying stella just to feel better...

yes! I have already found that one. Plan on having a look tomorrow.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 09:04:09 PM »

yes! I have already found that one. Plan on having a look tomorrow.

Do let me know your thoughts on the reel

RICHARD CRANIUM

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 09:06:46 PM »

Penn Battle 4000.

salmonrook

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »

I have a less known brand 
Amundson , 9 ft spinning rod and reel
its a local company
Good quality , have been using it for 15 years at least , in salt and fresh for salmon
Never let me down
Its about 189 for the whole setup
They used to sell at A&N Langley , now called McFrugals but they have maintained their good fishing section

jim

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 05:29:23 AM »

I have been using a Phlueger president since 2016, and it has been fine.

Aurora

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 10:45:16 AM »

I bought the Nasci 3000 few weeks ago.  It's under 150 and Hatch Match'r gave me a deal on 20 lb power pro which they wound on.  I'm happy with the reel so far with how it handled the Pinks on the Fraser.  Only thing I didn't expect was that there is no switch to allow for reverse winding on this particular size of reel.  Found I don't really miss it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 06:50:24 PM »

I bought the Nasci 3000 few weeks ago.  It's under 150 and Hatch Match'r gave me a deal on 20 lb power pro which they wound on.  I'm happy with the reel so far with how it handled the Pinks on the Fraser.  Only thing I didn't expect was that there is no switch to allow for reverse winding on this particular size of reel.  Found I don't really miss it.

I bought the 4000 at the same place also with the same line though I don't think I got a special deal.Looking forward to happy fishing experiences with it. BTW I always hated reverse winding switches. What good are they? I found they often get switched accidentally making them a pain and never could see what value they had.