Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning rod and reel setup for coho  (Read 19149 times)

Ian Forbes

Re: Spinning rod and reel setup for coho
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:19:05 PM »

As long as you don't crank the drag too tight, most inexpensive spinning reels will handle big fish. And, don't crank the handle when the fish won't come in your direction. Cranking while the fish is running will twist the line. Just pump and reel. It just takes longer to land bigger stubborn fish. I've caught literally thounsands of summer-run steelhead on light spinning reels and 7 to 9 foot rods. Very often I took just my 7 weight fly rod and added a spinning reel for places where fly fishing wasn't practical. I don't like to go lighter than 12 pound test line for salmon because the slightest abraison can cause break offs at a crucial time. You have to match the rod to the lures you are tossing. It's difficult to toss a lightweight spoon or spinner with a heavy rod.

Although I seldom do anything but fly fish anymore, I'm not above using a spinning reel when the occasion calls for it. I have a whole drawer full of old Mitchels and other makes, but the two Quantum reels I've had for at least 20 years are up to any task I ask of them. I have a few Asian made reels that I leave in Thailand for when I'm fishing there and they also do the job because I don't crank the drag too tight. The few spinning reels that ever failed me were because I over cranked the drag too tight. It's easier just to use the palm of your hand if you need extra tension... just as you would with a single action fly reel.

fishtruck

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »

Thanks to all of you who took the time to help. From all the info that was presented, I think I'll get that 8'6" Ugly Stick . Now to decide between the Cardinal and Penn Fierce. The way it's looking, I'm only going to spend around $100. With the left over money, I'll take the wife to lunch and build up the brownie points

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/2013/10/gear-review-best-spinning-combo/

I use the same combo (got it before this guy recommended it) and honestly it is perfect and very versatile especially if you are thinking of using it on the Vedder and getting into some fast water and going after chum or coho.

I also like it because it is sturdy enough to get a nice cast out on the Fraser with a heavier lure (2/3 ounce). It is also very light for it's size.

fishtruck

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »

Just bought the 8'6" Clarus at Army and navy for $79.99. They have a promotion where you get $10 off instantly. Will go to Walmart to look at Penn Fierce and Plfeuger reels.

sumasriver

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »

Landed a  20 lb  fresh  chum last week on my 6-12 lb clarus with 8 lb mono last week.

Love the Shimano Clarus.  Fantastic rod for the price.

Animal Chin

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »

Good job on getting the Clarus. That extra piece of cork over the reel seat is nice. I had a Pflueger President.. I really liked their trout ultralight reel I bought a few years ago, so I thought the larger reel for salmon would be just as nice, but it wasn't. Kind of grainy, not very smooth (think it was a 6735).

Bring your Clarus to the store and spin it around. I think you'll see what I mean about the President.

I'd look at the Shimano reels. Pick one in the lineup that fits your budget. Whatever you get, just make sure it's smooth like butter..and light. I find with spinning setups, you can't really skimp on the rod or the reel, both have to be balanced.

I really like fireline crystal 10 lb, with a 3 ft seaguar blue leader tied to a tiny swivel.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:40:45 PM by Animal Chin »

fishtruck

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »

Tried a Plfeuger Trion reel at A&N. I could feel the spool wobble. The Shimano reel were smooth and tight. Haven't tried the Penn Fierce yet, will go to Bellingham Walmart this weekend to see. While I'm there I'll also look at some Shimano reels as well

fishtruck

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »

The search is still ongoing. Does anyone have any thoughts on Quantum reels(Energy PTi30), Shimano Symetre 3000 series. The Quantum is on sale for $80us and Symetre is $100. Thanks

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »

I use a 9 feet Berkley Air im8 light action spinning rod rated for 6-10 lbs together with Shimano Sahara 3000 reel. Caught loads of cohos on this setup and it's really fun set up too. I load it with 8lb p-line mono.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »

My Symetre has lasted six or 7 years at a guess and is just about run its span, great reel and the smoothest drag going. Bottom drag with a fighting drag lever was nice but not crucial.
Ive yet to see or have a Quantum last more than a season or two.

Animal Chin

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »

I have a Symetre with a 9' St Croix Triumph light power, I bought it because I lost my Pflueger President set up. I would've bought a Clarus but it was right in the middle of pink season and everything was sold out.

I really like the Symetre. Very smooth. Way better than my Pflueger. I run 125 yards of 8 lb Fireline Crystal (cheaper this way) with I think about 40 yards of 6 lb mono as backing and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I have the 2500. I prefer a lightweight set-up. I haven't come anywhere close to being spooled.

I really like the Fireline Crystal. I tie a 15 lb Seaguar blue leader to a swivel and it takes a lot of effort to break a snag, with the leader breaking 99% of the time. 

I don't have a lot of experience with spinning stuff, but my buddy who does loves Shimano. Can't stop raving about it. He's got a Clarus with a Stradic Ci4. His set-up is the da bomb. Incredibly lightweight and balanced. I think if you go as near to that with the Shimano reels you can't lose. I believe there is two models between the Stradic and Symetre.

Locally, go to SeaRun and talk to Cody or Andrew or one of the guys there. They have all the good stuff in that shop.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:35:47 PM by Animal Chin »

bcguy

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »

The Fenwick MHX 6-15 is an awesome rod for under a 100
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

MoeJKU

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »

The search is still ongoing. Does anyone have any thoughts on Quantum reels(Energy PTi30), Shimano Symetre 3000 series. The Quantum is on sale for $80us and Symetre is $100. Thanks
The symetre is a good reel, i used this on my bass and catfish rod down south. Landed some nice 15-20lbs cats and 6-7lb bass on this reel with a 7ft rd.
Don't go overkill and use a 40lb braid use a light mono like 10-12lb. Fish hit lures hard as is and you don't need huge hook sets imho.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »

I fish the Symetre 3000 with 8lb nanofil (tied directly to the lure) for my light salmon setup. It works.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »

[
, I'll take the wife to lunch and build up the brownie points
[/quote]

What is a brownie points? ;D

Tadpole....... fishing or hunting every weekend. 8)