Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning rod and reel setup for coho  (Read 19145 times)

fishtruck

Spinning rod and reel setup for coho
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

Trying to figure out what would be a good setup for coho. Want to spend around $150. Am looking at the Shimano 8'6" Clarus or a similar priced Berkeley or even something from Cabela's. Reel I'm looking at is the Pfleuger president or Lews speed spin. I have talked to the staff at local tackle stores and will buy locally if I can. However, if the cost is substantially higher I'll be forced to buy either on-line or form the states. What kind of setup do you have and why? Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

sumasriver

Re: Spinning rod and reel setup for coho
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:42:49 PM »

Love my   6-12 lb rated Claris Spinning rod .  Fantastic coho rod as long as you don't get into the chum

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »

for lure tossing I just use a 7' medium trout rod, same rod I use for pinks. I think mine cost around $40 and came with the reel. no need to go expensive unless you really want to. With your budget there is a lot of options
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »

Shimano Clarus 8'6" CSS86M2B and Sahara 3000FE.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:29:56 PM by Rodney »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »

for lure tossing I just use a 7' medium trout rod, same rod I use for pinks. I think mine cost around $40 and came with the reel. no need to go expensive unless you really want to. With your budget there is a lot of options

Same and it has lasted me 5 years and has caught me lots of coho. Just have to change the line on it every year as it will coil from sitting so long

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »

Currently, I'm using a Daiwa Procaster with a Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning reel.

The Daiwa Procaster rod could be a little more sensitive, but it's durable and reliable.

If I'm going to get another rod, I will probably get a Shakespeare Ugly Stik because they're known to be extremely tough and sensitive, yet affordable. I LOVE my Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning reel! It outperforms reels that cost three times more, and the fit, finish, and durability is superb.

I use Sufix 832 line and I'm a believer as I haven't lost a single fish ever since I used it!

Today, I caught a huge aggressive male chum salmon with this setup and it performed like a champion!

fishtruck

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »

Thanks, everyone! Didn't think I could get anything half decent unless I spent some money, obviously, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've heard good things about the Cardinal from  Abu Garcia. What are the main differences between the Clarus and Ugly stick besides the price?

fishtruck

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »

Rodney, is that your personal setup?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »

Kind of. I have a Sustain 2500FG and a Saros 3000FA to pair with that rod, but that's a bit over your budget so I recommended the Sahara. I have a smaller Sahara for trout and it is an impressive reel for what it costs. I also have friends who use the Sahara 3000FE for salmon and really enjoy it. I also have a Clarus CSS90ML2B to go with the above two reels for spots where little current exists.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

I run a TFO or Berkley spinning rod right now. I like light power, fast action rods. Have landed lots of big fish on them, without an issues or over tiring the fish. I find lighter rods can actually land fish faster than heavier rods because the bend in the rod tires the fish out more quickly.

Spinning reel, I don't think you can get any better than the Penn Fierce. Definitely the best reel I have used so far for spinning, and is even rated for saltwater use! Thing have been bomb proof for me and I run them on 2 rods now. Even better, in the states they only cost $53! Up here they'll run you about $89.

fishtruck

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »

Also, why 7' vs 8'6" or for that matter, is there an ideal length? I'm looking for a reel that can hold 12lb test easily. Does the cardinal fit that bill?

fishtruck

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »

Everyday, where can I buy the Penn reels down at the states?

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »

I'm using the top of the line Abu Garcia Cardinal STX which cost me only 50 dollars Canadian, which is the regular price. Abu Garcia has been building the Cardinal spinning reels since the 1960's. There are still people out there who are using their Cardinal reels from the 1960's! It's better built and performs much better than my Made in Japan Shimano Symetre. A light to medium sized reel will do the job because Cardinals are so well built!

As for fishing line, braid is the way to go for these Cardinal reels. Forgot about 12lb test mono, go to 40lb braid which is the same diameter as 10lb mono. Once again, I haven't lost a single fish,from small to big once I started using Sufix 832.

Go for the 8'6 because the longer rod will give you added casting distance.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:31:30 AM by Long_Cast »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Everyday, where can I buy the Penn reels down at the states?

Walmart believe it or not... cheapest price around for them.
I'd recommend the 2000 size, and spool it with 15 pound braid which is the same diameter as 2-4 pound test.

What I do is spool 50 yards of 20 pound backing, do an albright knot and then 1 spool of 150 yards of 15 pound braid. That way you don't need to replace your line with a 300 yard spool every time you need new line. Braid lasts a lot longer than mono on the spool, and you rarely lose fish, get better hooks sets, etc. Braid is the way to go when tossing metal for sure.

As said above... the longer rods give you a slight advantage in casting distance, I generally run a 9'6" rod.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »

Walmart believe it or not... cheapest price around for them.
I'd recommend the 2000 size, and spool it with 15 pound braid which is the same diameter as 2-4 pound test.

What I do is spool 50 yards of 20 pound backing, do an albright knot and then 1 spool of 150 yards of 15 pound braid. That way you don't need to replace your line with a 300 yard spool every time you need new line. Braid lasts a lot longer than mono on the spool, and you rarely lose fish, get better hooks sets, etc. Braid is the way to go when tossing metal for sure.

As said above... the longer rods give you a slight advantage in casting distance, I generally run a 9'6" rod.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Firece-Spinning-Reel/24537483

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pennreg-Fierce-Spinning-Reel/1096961.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DFRC2000%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D10%26y%3D7&Ntt=FRC2000&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#productChart

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Fierce-Spinning-Reel/dp/B007ZBCQCM

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.