Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning reel or casting reel...  (Read 9034 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Spinning reel or casting reel...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »

I have spent the past few years using both spinning and casting reels for spoon chucking, they both have their pros and cons.  If I had to choose only one, it would be a spinning setup. 

Using a casting reel, it is easy to chuck small spoons and spinners as long as there is no wind, throw in a 7k wind and its birds nests all day.  Nothing will make you hate fishing more than watching your buddies smash fish while you are constantly picking birds nests out of your reel.  IMO a casting reel is perfect if you are only using 1/4oz spoons or bigger, anything smaller and it becomes a problem if there is wind. 

A spinning reel is perfect for all conditions, tiny spinners and spoons in the wind, no problem.  Big spoons in big water, no problem.  I find it very accurate, and it's little to no effort to cast.  The only negative that I found was I find it hard to float fish with.  So I carry my float..

tight lines.

brownmancheng

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »

I have a telescopic amundson spinning set up that fits in my backpack that I can take with me. That way i'm set either way.
since using spoons without a float will typically have a shorter time in the water its nice to have the spinning for ease of casting also.

This sounds like a good idea as I rarely use my spinning gear Bc I try to avoid carrying second rod. What did the rod set you back?

penguinabc123

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

I can't quite remember as it was a few years back I think between $40-50 for the rod and I already had a spinning reel that I just switched over. I got it at army and navy primarily to take with me backpacking (ie. greendrop lake/Garibaldi lake) but it works great on the rivers too.

wjlz

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

I can't quite remember as it was a few years back I think between $40-50 for the rod and I already had a spinning reel that I just switched over. I got it at army and navy primarily to take with me backpacking (ie. greendrop lake/Garibaldi lake) but it works great on the rivers too.

There is one at Walmart in USA: Calypso Mako 6-Section Telescopic Spin Rod. 7 or 8 ft. line rate: 30lb, lure rate 1-3 oz.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Calypso-Mako-6-Section-Telescopic-Spin-Rod/17128356. There is also a review at: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjoj4s_calypso-mako-8-telescoping-spinning-fishing-rod-review-by-m_sport#.UNeSK5H4Kgo. Good price: $18.99.  I plan to buy one next summer.
I have a 6ft one from Mako bought from Dolarama for $2. It is not nicely made, but functions very well.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »

For blades spinning reel

Kenwee

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »

Any opinion for using a centre pin reel to fish a spinner under a float? Also, you can retrieve a spinner at a slower speed with a centre pin reel. I am new and like opinions. Thanks.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »

I should say my baitcaster is a Calais it is designed for light weight lures be they spinners spoons or jigs .

That sure is a sweet reel EZ. I was sorry to see Shimano discontinue the analog version of that reel.
I guess they could not cover the cost at that price.
Same goes for the old Curado E7. :'(

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:16 PM »

Love it

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:37 PM »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 07:08:03 PM »

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

Way!!!......... Better line capacity more sensitive for detecting bites and bottom, swivel and 3 ft of flouro and its good to go

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

Way!!!......... Better line capacity more sensitive for detecting bites and bottom, swivel and 3 ft of flouro and its good to go

Agreed... braid is the way to go 100%. Better hook sets too due to no stretch.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

Ive been rocking the low pro reel for hardware for years, its a very versatile system

I cant imagine needing braid

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »

I'm a spinning reel fan. 
Have always wanted to try out braid, especially fishing with jigs, but worried it will cut into the roller.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »

Well I went with a casting reel. Reasons for doing so.... I already have a casting rod to pair it up with and I like the versatility of being able to throw a float on and use it to drift with. I bought a pretty cheap one because I don't know if i'm going to stick with it. I really like pinning and I just got into it last season, so the thought of not using it every time I go to the flow doesn't sit very well with me. But a change from time to time doesn't hurt :) Thanks y'all for your input.
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."