Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning reel or casting reel...  (Read 9031 times)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
Spinning reel or casting reel...
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

I would like to start chucking spoons for steelhead this season but im not really sure which way to go, spinning reel or casting reel. I would like to hear everyone's opinions about the two, and what would the pros and cons of each one would be. I'm hoping this will help me decide which one to go towards.

Just to give some background about my usage of the two; I've used casting reels to float fish and bb for salmon and I've used spinning reels to toss spoons and spinners for trout and other smaller fish.

Lemme know what u think, thanks!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

EZ_Rolling

Re: Spinning reel or casting reel...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »

I use both but prefer to use the bait caster ......

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »

Any particular reason as to why u prefer the casting reel?
Peace. One. Jewelz.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »

Easier to release line for a longer swing and if is a deep hole

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »

My choice would be a spinning reel. You can cast smaller spoons.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »

Spinning...
I find it easier to cast them in tight places, and like FA says they are able to cast lighter presentations more easily and accurately.

I also like to have the drag set very loose while actually swinging, etc so that when a hit occurs you can allow them to take it and hook themselves (also helps with not breaking off on the initial hit which is unbelievably hard at times). Once I hook a fish I will set the drag a bit tighter or will use my finger on the spool of the spinning reel as drag - so I find it easier in the end to use a spinning reel rather than a bait caster.

Other advantage is you look like a beak... I had lots of guys get pissed last year on the vedder when I walked into a run with a spinning set up, and they would leave grumbling, leaving the run completely to myself.

Cheers,
Dan

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »

Hmm... I like the idea of casting smaller spoons.
Peace. One. Jewelz.

penguinabc123

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

I take both set ups with me since I tend to have better precision/aim with spoons using my spinning set up. Also, if you don't have your casting reel set just right you might be more likely to get some birds nests and waste time (or maybe that's just me because I am still new).

I have a telescopic amundson spinning set up that fits in my backpack that I can take with me. That way i'm set either way.
since using spoons without a float will typically have a shorter time in the water its nice to have the spinning for ease of casting also.

Just my thoughts

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

It's a trade off between easy of casting light spoons vs. ease of line release while swinging a spoon.
I typically use spinning out fit for pinks and coho as casting 1/8 and 3/16 oz spoons is essential in warmer water.
Where as bait caster for winter steelhead as heavier 3/8 and 1/2 oz spoons are typically used and quick and accurate depth control is essential for success in cold water.
When I swing a spoon for winter steelhead, I don't engage the gear and hold on to the line with my thumb.
If I feel the spoon is rising and getting away from the bottom, I would release a burst of line using my thumb to get it back to the required depth.
However, I have seen that some people are also good at depth control with their spinning reels by feathering the line, but I have found this to be more difficult in my case.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

It's a trade off between easy of casting light spoons vs. ease of line release while swinging a spoon.
I typically use spinning out fit for pinks and coho as casting 1/8 and 3/16 oz spoons is essential in warmer water.
Where as bait caster for winter steelhead as heavier 3/8 and 1/2 oz spoons are typically used and quick and accurate depth control is essential for success in cold water.
When I swing a spoon for winter steelhead, I don't engage the gear and hold on to the line with my thumb.
If I feel the spoon is rising and getting away from the bottom, I would release a burst of line using my thumb to get it back to the required depth.
However, I have seen that some people are also good at depth control with their spinning reels by feathering the line, but I have found this to be more difficult in my case.

When swinging spoons you shouldn't ever have to release line to control your depth.
Releasing line from what I have found actually hurts the swing, and doesn't allow effective coverage of water (same as with fly fishing).
Effective coverage of water being casting same distance every time and taking the same amount of steps down to cover a run 3-5 ft at a time.
I normally adjust how deep I am fishing by casting upstream a certain amount to let the spoon sink. Once on the swing nothing gets touched.

I guess if you are planning to release line on the swing then a baitcaster would definitely be better than a spinning outfit.

FishingFitz

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

Well, i personally use spin setup for spinners and spoons or buzzbombs o whatnot. and then the baitcaster for float fishing and bottom bouncing. a baitcaster allows u to release line as u drift. When u cast a baitcaster to hard, the spool will spin out more line that it can take and it will knot up 'birds nest' i call it. A spinning reel will allow you to cast alot farther and the line can release from the reel as fast as it wants.

Hope that helps, cheers.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »

When swinging spoons you shouldn't ever have to release line to control your depth.
Releasing line from what I have found actually hurts the swing, and doesn't allow effective coverage of water(same as with fly fishing).
Effective coverage of water being casting same distance every time and taking the same amount of steps down to cover a run 3-5 ft at a time.
I normally adjust how deep I am fishing by casting upstream a certain amount to let the spoon sink. Once on the swing nothing gets touched.

Even if you cast just right and low stick, sometimes you might need to make corrections as water deepens or speeds up down a run and takes the spoon off the bottom.
Quick release of some line is one way to make needed adjustments.
Yes it will make the swing less effective and I don't like doing it, but sometimes benefits of getting it down outweighs continuing the swing at a shallower plane in cold winter water.
This method is described by Bill Hertzog in his widely respected spoon fishing book for steelhead.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:29:19 PM by bigblue »

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »

I should say my baitcaster is a Calais it is designed for light weight lures be they spinners spoons or jigs .

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »

I'm with Herzog. The only advantage of a spinning reel is that you can cast smaller hardware further a levelwind is a way more versatile tool. Being able to let line out whilst staying in contact with the lure is a big advantage especially if you want to get a spoon down in really deep canyon water or keep you hardware in the zone once it starts to lift as it swings out. I have always been a spinning guy but have switched to the levelwind for winter steelhead for those reasons. Also a levelwind is a way better tool for floatfshing or legit bottom bouncing than a spinning reel so you only have to carry one rod if you want to switch it up.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:35:37 PM by nickredway »

kalex60

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »

I have no problem casting small spoons if I use a little lighter Line with me low profile and I can double it as a drifting reel. I also like that you can free spool and with you thumb on the spool set the hook whereas with the spinning reel you have to flip the bail