Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spinning reel for sturgeon  (Read 12754 times)

mr.bean

spinning reel for sturgeon
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »

hi, idont have much experience in sturgeon fishing, but  i always preferred spinning reels all my life. i have a penn spinfisher  saltwater spinning reel. it holds  about 500 yards of  80 lbs braided line.  i would like to put it on a shimano technium rod. my thinking is  since  i will be fihing from shore  the spinninhg reel  would let me  cast whatever bait i will be using further  than with a regular  sturgeon reel. any thoughts or  advice ? thanks harry

Dogbreath

Re: spinning reel for sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:30:35 PM »

That'll work fine No Problem-most fish taken from shore aren't all that big anyway-lots of fun though that's for sure.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »

hi, idont have much experience in sturgeon fishing, but  i always preferred spinning reels all my life. i have a penn spinfisher  saltwater spinning reel. it holds  about 500 yards of  80 lbs braided line.  i would like to put it on a shimano technium rod. my thinking is  since  i will be fihing from shore  the spinninhg reel  would let me  cast whatever bait i will be using further  than with a regular  sturgeon reel. any thoughts or  advice ? thanks harry

Harry

Read up on the new impending rules..... there is a change that probably will happen where you will have to run a minimum of 130lb main line. Technium is a great boat rod, I run 6 on my boat, but IMHO, it is too sensitive, soft or whatever you wish to call it for casting 14-20 oz weights from shore. Not sure of the reel you are using, but the TLD20's are an inexpensive reel that have proven themselves on the mighty Fraser. Big fish can and are caught from shore, use the appropriate gear and handle the fish with respect or we will lose this fishery!

Mike

cohoaaron

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »

..... there is a change that probably will happen where you will have to run a minimum of 130lb main line. too

that pisses me off.......my uncle just bought me a new spool of 300 yards of 100# tuff line for christmas...that bloody stuff isn't cheap.

fish bonk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »

Nice arron. That's alot of shoelace  ;D

cohoaaron

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

Nice arron. That's alot of shoelace  ;D
haahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »

Read up on the new impending rules..... there is a change that probably will happen where you will have to run a minimum of 130lb main line.

where'd u read this...  :P
i hope this isnt going to be happening anytime soon.

Brook Trout

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »

Shimano technium is a very good rod, use one for shore fishing sturgeon works great!

Copper Koski

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »

Spinning reel will work. The only problem I have had is a few more tangles with the sliding weight. I like to add a bit of tension when casting and make sure my gear lands correctly; which, is a bit easier with the baitcaster. However, I'm sure you will find a casting technice that works for you.

I think 80 lb main is a bit light. I usually run 150 main and 96lb braided leader. I wouldn't go any lighter than 96lb leader. Sounds like you have the line capacity to bump it up.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

Harry

Read up on the new impending rules..... there is a change that probably will happen where you will have to run a minimum of 130lb main line.

Mike

Link?

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Are CO's going to carry line testing machines now?

It's all bull.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »

Ive used a spinning reel on all my shore fishing and never had any problems, you can get lots of distance with them too.

leaseman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »

Guidelines for Angling White Sturgeon in BC

Most white sturgeon populations in British Columbia are protected under the federal Species at Risk Act and are closed to recreational angling. The lower and middle Fraser River populations are designated as endangered, but are considered healthy enough to support a catch and release sport fishery. Catch and release angling can be low impact if extra care is taken to ensure sturgeon health and survival. To sustain this treasured fishery, the following angling practices are necessary:

1. Use only single barbless hooks and appropriate tackle

Only single barbless hooks are permitted while sturgeon angling. Use heavy rod and reels, with at least 130 lb. manufacture rated test line.

2. Play sturgeon quickly

Play and release sturgeon as quickly as possible. Sturgeon played too long may not recover. If you hook a large sturgeon (by definition large sturgeon are 1.5 meters and greater in length) when boat fishing, release the anchor and play the fish to a pre-determined landing location. This will significantly reduce stress on the sturgeon by reducing time played and by not fighting the river current.

3. Choose your fishing location carefully - Keep sturgeon in the water

Never lift a large sturgeon out of the water. Fish suffocate out of water. Large sturgeon are at risk of internal injuries due to their own weight. Ropes, tailers, nooses or other devices must not be used to hold or land sturgeon.

From shore: Your fishing location must be suitable for landing sturgeon. Elevated docks are not suitable. Do not drag sturgeon out of the water onto the shore or dock. Release smaller sturgeon at the side of the dock. Be prepared to get wet when releasing sturgeon.

From boat: Do not lift or drag a large sturgeon into a boat. Land and release large sturgeon at the side of the boat. Never tow a large sturgeon by the tail to shore. Towing by the tail is damaging and can be lethal.

Release small sturgeon (by definition small sturgeon are less than 1.5 meters in length) at the side of the boat. If you lift a small sturgeon into a boat then cradle it with two gloved hands – one placed behind the front fins or on the mouth and the other hand placed just forward of the tail. Once in the boat use as many people as necessary to support the sturgeon. Never pull a sturgeon into a boat by using a rope or by the sturgeon’s gill plates, pectoral fins, or by its mouth or tail only.

4. Remove hooks quickly but gently

Remove deeply embedded hooks with long needle-nose pliers or a hook remover. Grab the bend on the hook and twist. Be quick, but gentle. Sturgeon that are deeply hooked, hooked on or near the gills, or bleeding heavily have lower survival rates. Improve survival by cutting the leader and releasing the sturgeon with the hook left in.

5. Handle and recover sturgeon with care – Be prepared to take photos quickly

Never squeeze or hug sturgeon. Keep your fingers away from the gills and out of the gill plates. If you want photographs, always leave large sturgeon in the water. Have your camera ready and be quick. Recover sturgeon by pointing nose-first upstream into the current and letting go when it struggles to swim.

Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association, Recreational Sturgeon Anglers of BC, Fisheries & Oceans Canada, and Province of BC supported the development, and encourage the practice of, these Guidelines.

For more information on white sturgeon recreational fisheries management please contact:
Ministry of Forests, Lands & Natural Resource Operations, 2nd Floor, 10470 – 152nd Street Surrey BC V3R 0Y3
Metro Vancouver Phone: 604-582-5200, Toll –Free Phone: 1-800-663-7867

leaseman

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »

The above I took off one of the many fishing forums that have this item pinned....

I spend well over 50 days on the river fishing sturgeon, have caught thousands in my time fishing them.... they keep trying to push the envelope to get them protected and closed to fishing, but people like Stu (the poster) who represents the sport side and Vic (STS) keep working to have this fishery open to us....

Read and remember these guidelines, probably soon to become rules.... if you don't follow them, well you are one of the ones that will cause this fishery to fail and fail it will if we as sporties don't do what we can do to keep it alive.

If you play a fish too long, use too light equipment, rod, reel, line, hooks, swivels etc., you are causing harm to these great fish! Some of the other forums (sorry Rod!) have sturgeon groups that you can join.... most of the people there are more than willing to help the new people learn how to fish these mighty beasts and some will even take you out.....

If you want to fish dinos, have a passion for this fish, treat it with respect, get it in as fast as you can and get it back to the depths...

Mike

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »

Sometimes disturbing the bee hive is the worst thing you can do  ;).

Anyone who thinks 100 pound line is a problem to the safety of a Sturgeon is not realistic.

Used 100 pound for years and consider it perfect for Sturgeon fishing.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca