Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning rod and reel  (Read 1703 times)

capman

Spinning rod and reel
« on: September 03, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »

I need advise on a very good light spinning rod and reel for Coho and Pink. What brand should I get and what length the rod you recommend. Also what would be the best type of line and weight for it? And one last thing, where to get it. Appreciate the help.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »

Anything from 6'-12' will work but i personally like my 7' 4-10lb Lamiglas rod for both species you speak of. However when I target them in quicker flows i tend to switch up to my Shimano Clarus 8'6" 6-12lb rod. It has the extra length and slightly more backbone to allow for greater torqueing power when battling a fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

Dion's recommendations are what I would also suggest. Personally for pink and coho salmon, I have been using a spinning rod rated for 4 to 10lb test in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, sloughs, saltwater, small streams where little amount of current is found or the fish are not exceptionally big (12lb or less). I have been using a 8' Fenwick HMX spinning rod, coupled with a Shimano 2500 spinning reel (as for which model, go with the best you can afford). I find 8lb test Maxima Ultragreen goes well with this setup (6lb test tends to have lots of abrasion after a few fish, 10lb test is a bit awkward to cast with this setup). I bought two of this spinning rod from Berry's Bait and Tackle.

For rivers with stronger current and where fish maybe larger, a higher weight rating is necessary. A longer rod may also be good, for better line control in the current. I actually just use my 10'5 baitcasting rod when casting spoons in rivers such as the Squamish or Chilliwack River.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:17 PM »

Shimano Stimula, 6-14 fast action rods. They are 7' long
Army & Navy and Canadian Tire have them both.
Around $40-$55
Rugged and long lasting.

capman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:52:23 PM »

Thanks everyone. Great information.