Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snagging  (Read 7152 times)

nevertoolate

snagging
« on: August 19, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »

at seymour today.   From what I could see, ten snags for every catch.  Buzz bombs.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: snagging
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »

I noticed that my reel must be better than a lot of peoples. I was able to do a cast and then a smooth, even retrieve. Most other folks seemed to need to do a strange, jerky type of retrieve. I hope they get their reels fixed sometime.

Drewhill

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »

The regulars that fish the Seymour must really be loving the online attention it's getting this year lol

Flubberdubber

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »

Up the North end of the Arm on Sunday, lots of fish and lots of boats. There as well there seems to be a syndrome that causes you to jerk your arms in a fast sideways motion! I dunno maybe like when George bumped his elbow and now his arm does this! This is a real simple fishery people, cast your fly or lure, let it sink for a few seconds, then slowly retrieve, repeat. If they are in the mood they will bite!

hrenya

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »

I noticed that my reel must be better than a lot of peoples. I was able to do a cast and then a smooth, even retrieve. Most other folks seemed to need to do a strange, jerky type of retrieve. I hope they get their reels fixed sometime.
lol , I was doing the same thing like you before , but after Seymour and capilano mouths people look at me like im a retard :D . and without noticing it at first twitching movements started to add  :'( :'(

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 06:53:46 AM »

Lots of people are successfully fishing jigs.
These are not slowly retrieved so might look a lot like snagging.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »

It's been over twenty years ago that I used buzz bombs but from what I remember the lure is designed to be either jigged straight up and down from a boat or dock or it is cast out, pull up, let flutter down and retrieve, and pull up again ...

That how the lure attracts - the flutter down simulates wounded bait fish.

Why is this now a frowned upon method to catch salmon?

Stop this angling bashing. Pretty soon we'll start saying that using hooks attached to fishing line is cruel because or the period of torture/distress that fish goes through while being "played" before being either released or killed.

matrix111

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »

Disgusting to witness this method today while fishing with my daughter.  Saw couple of guys at Cheakamus down by the Bailey bridge. They were snagging fish and went way over their limit. Right after they snag one they put it in the garbage bag and straight to their car.  I reported it to DFO but an hour after i drove by and they were still there. I guess DFO may have their hands full today. :(

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »

at seymour today.   From what I could see, ten snags for every catch.  Buzz bombs.
If you really want to get your blood going just wait until it gets dark, then the snaggers crew magically transforms like Cinderellas from normal setups to the 50lb braid and big hooks and starts ripping them one after the other. Sometimes they would be not even fishing untill completely dark and empty of people. The fish would be stacked to the banks and when they finally scare them away these idiots would put waders on to get closer and carry on ripping. It happens every night almost and I overheard once they were going to the Cap afterwards. Phoned RAPP sevrral times noone showed up so far. :(

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »

If you really want to get your blood going just wait until it gets dark, then the snaggers crew magically transforms like Cinderellas from normal setups to the 50lb braid and big hooks and starts ripping them one after the other. Sometimes they would be not even fishing untill completely dark and empty of people. The fish would be stacked to the banks and when they finally scare them away these idiots would put waders on to get closer and carry on ripping. It happens every night almost and I overheard once they were going to the Cap afterwards. Phoned RAPP sevrral times noone showed up so far. :(

Yes they seem to be here doing vital work:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38406.0

hrenya

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:21:11 PM »

yeah , cuz their office is like 5-10 min hike from garry point :)

Burbot

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »

Snagging, flossing is the new fishing method these days in most rivers. Sad really.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »

Actually, peer pressure works well.
And though most of us HERE might not know each other a collective voice of distain may speak volumes.
Though this may not work at certain meatholes a collective group of cranky folks may make a difference.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »

Actually, peer pressure works well.
And though most of us HERE might not know each other a collective voice of distain may speak volumes.
Though this may not work at certain meatholes a collective group of cranky folks may make a difference.

I often make comment, and try and show an easy method to replace. I showed two gentlemen on the Stave last fall how to catch chum extremely easily. They were bottom bouncing for them and consistently were snagging and losing fish. The first guy had a fish within the first couple casts. They handed me cash money for the help. I feel they just didn't know any better.

You don't have to be cranky unless they're dicks.

Apennock

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »

I think that's a great point, Flytech, and something that is often over looked.  Most people I've talked to who bottom bounce just don't know a reliable alternative method and, by and large, are pretty open to learning.